[comp.sys.atari.st] Specter

wgj@uafhcx.uucp (Bill Johnston) (06/01/90)

A freind of mine has been asking me about Specter.  His buisness wants to
install Mac's to do their publishing.  However, beset with a shortage of
funds they would like to know if installing Atari's with the Specter board
and software is a good idea.

Some questions:
How compatible does this make the Atari to the Mac?
Will this package continue to be supported?
How stable is the company that produces this package?
Does it run Mac programs slower than Mac?

I would appreciate your comments.

Sincerely,
Bill Johnston

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (06/01/90)

In article <4690@uafhp.uark.edu> wgj@uafhcx.uucp (Bill Johnston) writes:
>A freind of mine has been asking me about Specter.  His buisness wants to
>install Mac's to do their publishing.  However, beset with a shortage of
>funds they would like to know if installing Atari's with the Specter board
>and software is a good idea.

No knocks on Spectre (I don't own one), but it doesn't seem wise to
base a business on something "nearly compatible".  Personal use, yes.
Business internal use, perhaps.  But if by "their publishing" you
mean anything that goes out the door, I'd suggest they probably
shouldn't go the emulator route.  Or at they very least, that they
thoroughly test the software they want to run, on the Spectre, before
jumping into it in a big way.

Again, nothing against ST's or Spectres or the combination; but if it
were my business, I'd be pretty conservative where my workaday bottom-
line equipment was concerned.  (On the other hand, what publishing
software do they want?  Perhaps there's something comparable on the
native ST side?  I hear good things about Calamus...)
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

warningm@ure.CS.ORST.EDU (WARNING) (06/02/90)

In article <4abdab40.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>In article <4690@uafhp.uark.edu> wgj@uafhcx.uucp (Bill Johnston) writes:
>>A freind of mine has been asking me about Specter.  His buisness wants to
>>install Mac's to do their publishing.  However, beset with a shortage of
>>funds they would like to know if installing Atari's with the Specter board
>>and software is a good idea.
>
>No knocks on Spectre (I don't own one), but it doesn't seem wise to
>base a business on something "nearly compatible".  Personal use, yes.

Just thought I'd support the other side...  I DO own Spectre and I think the
phrase "nearly compatible" is a little bit misleading.  I have found it to be
compatible with EVERY macintosh application that I cared to try.  The only
stumbling block is that copy-protected software won't work.  Anyway, the point
is that it's no less compatible than your average PC clone.  (The fact that
you're using macintosh roms probably help with that...)

				Mike Warning
					warningm@ure.cs.orst.edu

rmacgreg@cs.strath.ac.uk (Sorcerer) (06/04/90)

The Spectre GCR is really the one you want, so in reply to your questions:

>How compatible does this make the Atari to the Mac?

Pretty much totally software compatibile, though obviously you cannot fit in
any Mac cards or run some of the Colour software.

>Will this package continue to be supported?

As far as I am aware, yes.

>How stable is the company that produces this package?

About as stable as you are gonna get.  They have been around for a while, and
should be with us for some time to come.

>Does it run Mac programs slower than Mac?

That depends on which Mac you are talking about, but it is a bit faster than
the Mac + and Fat Macs.

	The Sorcerer