[comp.sys.atari.st] Ramdisks and my STe

opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu (AAron,,,) (06/02/90)

Since I aquired my 1040Ste, I have not found a reset proof ramdisk that
didn't bomb my system upon installation.

I found the SI_RAM ramdisk (and print spooler) to be an acceptable non reset
proof alternative, but now that I am using the AMCGDOS that comes with
GEMINI (wow, GEMINI is GREAT!), SI_RAM bombs!
So, I Started using M-DISK (a REALLLY old Michtron product), but it limited
my ramdisks to 720k (which sucks if you have 4Meg :) so, I disassembled it
and raised the limit to 2Meg, but now it bombs when I put alot of stuff in it.

ANYWAY! I am really getting frustrated.

What ramdisk programs are proving to be reliable? and at which site can I
find them?

Anyone else with an STe having problems?

AAron nAAs
opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (D.C. Halliday) (06/02/90)

In article <1990Jun2.023425.26696@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Since I aquired my 1040Ste, I have not found a reset proof ramdisk that
>didn't bomb my system upon installation.

[...]

I use Maxidisk on my STe (German version). It even compresses files as
they are stored on the ramdisk with little aparent speed loss. I think
it is available from terminator.

>Anyone else with an STe having problems?

The Problems I have are with double clicking on programs, sometimes
they refuse to run and present a dialog asking for SHOW PRINT CANCEL
just like for a document. The wierd thing is this fault is
intermittent. Anyway I think it is solved by saving the desktop (Old
ST desktop.inf seems to cause the proble.)

Dave Halliday.
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca (06/03/90)

In article <1990Jun2.124900.15086@newcastle.ac.uk>, D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (D.C. Halliday) writes:
> In article <1990Jun2.023425.26696@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>>Since I aquired my 1040Ste, I have not found a reset proof ramdisk that
>>didn't bomb my system upon installation.
>>
> [...]
>
> I use Maxidisk on my STe (German version). It even compresses files as
> they are stored on the ramdisk with little aparent speed loss. I think
> it is available from terminator.

I'm using Eternal on my STE with no ill side-affects.

>>Anyone else with an STe having problems?
>
> The Problems I have are with double clicking on programs, sometimes
> they refuse to run and present a dialog asking for SHOW PRINT CANCEL
> just like for a document. The wierd thing is this fault is
> intermittent. Anyway I think it is solved by saving the desktop (Old
> ST desktop.inf seems to cause the proble.)

I've noticed this problem just recently. However, when I double click
again on the program, 95% of the time it'll run then.

> Dave Halliday.
> (D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)
>
>>AAron nAAs
>>opielask@clutx.clarkson.edu

         Adele Fraser          |   Bitnet: 7103_3654@uwovax.bitnet
      Dept of Mathematics      |   Internet: 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca
 University of Western Ontario |
    London, Ontario, Canada    |   Phone:    (Math Dept)
           N6A 5B7             |          519-661-3638 x 6539

riddler@iesd.auc.dk (Claus Priisholm) (06/04/90)

In article <6150.266900be@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

   >>Anyone else with an STe having problems?
   >
   > The Problems I have are with double clicking on programs, sometimes
   > they refuse to run and present a dialog asking for SHOW PRINT CANCEL
   > just like for a document. The wierd thing is this fault is
   > intermittent. Anyway I think it is solved by saving the desktop (Old
   > ST desktop.inf seems to cause the proble.)

   I've noticed this problem just recently. However, when I double click
   again on the program, 95% of the time it'll run then.

This 'feature' is also present in TOS 1.4. Some motherboards seems to have
trouble with the new ROMs, whereas other motherboards work just fine.

Claus Priisholm
Aalborg University Center
Denmark

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun2.124900.15086@newcastle.ac.uk> D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (D.C. Halliday) writes:
>The Problems I have are with double clicking on programs, sometimes
>they refuse to run and present a dialog asking for SHOW PRINT CANCEL
>just like for a document. The wierd thing is this fault is
>intermittent. Anyway I think it is solved by saving the desktop (Old
>ST desktop.inf seems to cause the proble.)
>
>Dave Halliday.
>(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

Nah, I think that's a feature of TOS 1.6. The guys at Atari thought it
might be nice to look at the code rather than run the program from time
to time.

I'm not sure about the fix, I think that bug has appeared when I was
using the desktop inf file on my hard drive, which is definitely an STe
version. I find the best way to beat this bug is to buy Neodesk(!)

Mark.