[comp.sys.atari.st] ANSI C Compilers

sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) (06/04/90)

Would a few people be kind enough to send me information on the
various C compilers that are out there for the ST and how they
feel about them. (Also state what they use them for).

I'm currently using Mark Williams C 3.0, but unfortunately Mark Williams
has abandoned the ST due to its poor sales (EVEN IN GERMANY!)

I'm searching for something ANSI compliant.

Thanks in advance,

San

--
::::::::::::::::: - Sanford L. Barr - ::::::::::::::::::::"Never argue with
  ___-   ARPA: sbarr@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu    _------  :: a fool.  Most

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (06/05/90)

In article <9739@sbcs.sunysb.edu> sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) writes:
>Would a few people be kind enough to send me information on the
>various C compilers that are out there for the ST and how they
>feel about them. (Also state what they use them for).
>I'm searching for something ANSI compliant.

Prospero C is ANSI compatible, the documentation covers libraries, VDI,
AES and compiler, debugger, librarian, workbench and language
implementation (comes to about 1000 pages).

The compiler is not lightening fast, but it's bareable. The code it
produces tends to start at around 15k for small programs with only a
couple of libraries, but Prospero reliably informed me that it is
intended to produce small big programs (sic).

The speed of the code is average (originally about Lattice v3 speed but
it could be better now).

The debugger is good and allows a machine level debugger like SID to be
linked in for extra precision! It's symbolic with trace, breakpoints and
stuff.

I think the current version is 1.143 (or thereabouts).

Prospero offer phone support, send you the occasional newsletter and
allow you to upgrade to the latest compiler version for 10 pounds
handling charge. Good stuff!

Mark.