[comp.sys.atari.st] Hardware Questions

GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (06/08/90)

HCJ Writes:

>2. Spectre GCR includes a device to read MAC floppies on the ST drives.
>
>   This requires roughly 1.44 MB performance from the ST 720K drives.

What?
The current generation of Macs use single-sided 400k floppies OR double-sided
800k floppies.  (The FDHD drives don't count because Spectre emulates a basic
MAC Plus which hasn't been standardly sold w/FDHD drives)
I realize that the Spectre GCR has to do some *REALLY WIERD* contortions to get
the MFM drives in the ST to read the Mac GCR format diskettes, but
I wouldn't say that this 'requires roughly 1.44 MB performance'.

My Spectre GCR Reads & Writes Mac disks correctly.  I still doesn't FORMAT them
correctly but when I download the latest software from GENIE! maybe it will.

Dave Small writes in the manual:
>As of the writing of this manual, we're no certain yet wether or not we've
>gotten all the bugs out of our "Disk Initialize" routine....We're
>certainly trying.

So, hopefully RELIABLE Mac formatting is in the near future.

The address & phone for GBS is:

Gadgets by Small, Inc.
40 W. Littleton Blvd #201-211
Littleton, CO 80120