[comp.sys.atari.st] USENET hookup for Atari ST!

Jonathan_S_Nowak@cup.portal.com (06/08/90)

    I saw a ad for an Atari BBS in Europe, with USENET access.  How can this
be done?  I have a 1040 St and would like to run USENET on my BBS, any ideas?
Thanks in advance....

                               ---JSN

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (06/08/90)

[In article <30608@cup.portal.com>,
     Jonathan_S_Nowak@cup.portal.com writes ... ]

>     I saw a ad for an Atari BBS in Europe, with USENET access.  How can this
> be done?  I have a 1040 St and would like to run USENET on my BBS, any ideas?
> Thanks in advance....
>                                ---JSN

Finding a newsfeed is the hard part. "Ask around."

The software part is easy. STadel, a version of Citadel BBS software,
has supported UUCP mail and Usenet news for a couple of years now.

(You do not see postings on the net from STadel sites because most
STadels that receive this discussion have set it to read-only status.
Allowing access to Usenet on an open BBS has a potential for abuse.)

The BBS is "room-structured," with very good support for message
handling including such features as protocol upload and download of
messages, ROT13, and a choice of prompted or streamed reading.

The file structure is integrated into the room structure. All the
major protocols are supported, and external programs are easily
added.

STadel also networks with other STadels, Citadel-86 (IBM), and
compatible Amiga systems. There are a couple of hundred networking
Citadels in the United States and Canada.

STadel, like most Citadel software, is free. You can get more
information from the Minnesota Atari ST (MAST) BBS, (612) 472-6582.
MAST supports all the popular baud rates, 300-9600, V.32 and
18,000bps Telebit PEP.

I think Chris Allen may be running one in England. (Chris?)

If you don't want to change BBS software, you're out of luck unless
you want to write your own import-export programs. The Internet RFCs
document the Usenet message format and can be obtained by mail. See
the newsgroup news.announce.newusers for the periodical posting "How
to Obtain Information About Networks."

In addition, you would need a UUCP-compatible transport mechanism. A
good one will be released Real Soon Now.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota = steve@thelake.mn.org

chris@tharr.UUCP (Chris Allen) (06/10/90)

In article <A1269372104@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>[In article <30608@cup.portal.com>,
>     Jonathan_S_Nowak@cup.portal.com writes ... ]
>
>>     I saw a ad for an Atari BBS in Europe, with USENET access.  How can this
>> be done?  I have a 1040 St and would like to run USENET on my BBS, any ideas?
>> Thanks in advance....
>>                                ---JSN
>

>The software part is easy. STadel, a version of Citadel BBS software,
>has supported UUCP mail and Usenet news for a couple of years now.

altthough not without many irritating "features", notably an
inability to receive incoming uucp calls, and a hidden "bus error"
feature which only worked when you were away for the weekend.

>I think Chris Allen may be running one in England. (Chris?)

I used to.. but got frustrated. The ST couldn't handle the sort of
load that Usenet News would put on it. TOS1.2 seemed to fall over
at around 500 folders (even with foldrxxx) and Atari UK were about
as responsive as they usually are :-)

Citadel itself is one of the best BBS systems that I have seen. For
once the users have to try and work out what is going on without
getting too confused. It was certainly popular. During the 6 months
that was running I registered over 500 different users and there
was not a day on record without a caller [I even had calls on
Christmas day!].

>In addition, you would need a UUCP-compatible transport mechanism. A
>good one will be released Real Soon Now.

I used uumail for a long while. It had the nasty habit of chewing up
long filenames to be completely unrecognizable and of inserting a
carriage return with every line feed in binary files :-c It did
however allow incoming calls.

>--
>   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota = steve@thelake.mn.org

chris allen.
--
         chris@tharr.uucp  ..!ukc!axion!tharr!chris
  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->