[comp.sys.atari.st] A folder that contains itself

petcher@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Don Petcher) (06/13/90)

Shades of Russell's paradox, I have created a folder that contains itself!

The folder has no name, and when you open it, the desktop just adds
the character '\' to the path name on the top of the GEM window.
Otherwise I can't do anything to it at all.  Every time I try to do
something with it, I get the message "You cannot create or access a
directory or folder this far down the directory path" (Tos 1.4 version
of the 40 folder limit??).  I'm willing to sell this curiosity cheap
to the highest bidder.

The folder was actually created by Zoo, when unzooing (dezooing?) a
zoo file containing files with rather unorthodox Unix path names (not
friendly to TOS).  I have not tried (yet) to repeat the exercise.
Fortunately the folder is contained in another folder (not itself)
which I have been able to rename with a disk editor, but otherwise I
can't do anything with it.  Any ideas how to delete it cleanly?  (I
know I can reformat or zero the partition, or go in with a disk editor
and track down the fats, but I prefer not.)  The desktop doesn't
oblige (producing the above message) and GPshell can't handle it (two
bombs - apparently the error condition resulting in the above message
does not return anything that the shell recognizes as an error).  Or
am I stuck with this little curiosity until my next reformat???

Don Petcher
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306

Petcher@vsdnp.scri.fsu.edu

roeder@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar Roeder) (06/14/90)

In article <85@sun13.scri.fsu.edu>, petcher@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Don Petcher) writes:
> Shades of Russell's paradox, I have created a folder that contains itself!
>
> something with it, I get the message "You cannot create or access a
> directory or folder this far down the directory path" (Tos 1.4 version
> of the 40 folder limit??).  I'm willing to sell this curiosity cheap
> to the highest bidder.

The limit of 8 nested folders (only in the Desktop) was reported here some
months ago. It has nothing to do with the 40 folder bug.

> can't do anything with it.  Any ideas how to delete it cleanly?  (I
> know I can reformat or zero the partition, or go in with a disk editor
> and track down the fats, but I prefer not.)  The desktop doesn't

I have sometimes got thos folders without a name, or even worse two entries
named ".." in the same directory. With Simon Poole's dlii_024.prg i was able
to change the name of those no-names to something reasonable. Just go into
the files menu, select another file in the folder containing the no-name folder.
Goto the previous or next entry until you get to the problematic entry. Now
you can edit its name.
After this you should be able to delete the folder from the desktop (maybe
after a warmstart).

> Don Petcher
> Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
> Florida State University
> Tallahassee, FL 32306
>
> Petcher@vsdnp.scri.fsu.edu

Hope this helps!

	- Edgar
--

Mail:  Edgar R\"oder			E-Mail: roeder@cs.uni-sb.de
       Liesbet-Dill-Stra\ss e 3

petcher@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Don Petcher) (06/17/90)

In article <4846@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de> roeder@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar Roeder) writes:
>In article <85@sun13.scri.fsu.edu>, petcher@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Don Petcher) writes:
>> Shades of Russell's paradox, I have created a folder that contains itself!
>>
>> something with it, I get the message "You cannot create or access a
>> directory or folder this far down the directory path"
                               .
                               .
                               .
>> can't do anything with it.  Any ideas how to delete it cleanly?
                               .
                               .
                               .
>I have sometimes got thos folders without a name, or even worse two entries
>named ".." in the same directory. With Simon Poole's dlii_024.prg i was able
>to change the name of those no-names to something reasonable. Just go into
>the files menu, select another file in the folder containing the no-name folder.
>Goto the previous or next entry until you get to the problematic entry. Now
>you can edit its name.
>After this you should be able to delete the folder from the desktop (maybe
>after a warmstart).

Yup, it worked!  Thanks.