[comp.sys.atari.st] Help needed in tranferring files

n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) (06/15/90)

I have been trying to get programs from terminator.cc.umich.edu
and transfer them to my ST.  I have no problem with using ftp
from my unix account on my university's mainframe, but am having
a devil of a time transferring the binaries from my unix account
to my ST.  I am using ST-Talk Pro, which has all sorts of different
file transfers (except Kermit, unfortunately).

I am attempting to do the transfer by simply listing the binary
code on the screen, and turning on one of ST-Talk Pro's capture
buffers to capture the code.  However, there is so much garbage
trasferred due to the binary code being listed on the screen that
ST-Talk Pro freaks out and locks up.  There _must_ be an easier
and saner method of transferring files from a mainframe to the ST.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be more than grateful to
hear them.

	Thanx in advance,

		Perry Pederson    n8742883@unciorn.WWU.EDU

"I" before "E" except after "C".....  We sure live in a weird society....

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (06/16/90)

Perry Pederson writes:
>I have been trying to get programs from terminator.cc.umich.edu
>and transfer them to my ST.  I have no problem with using ftp
>from my unix account on my university's mainframe, but am having
>a devil of a time transferring the binaries from my unix account
>to my ST.

What mainframe are you using..?   It might be worth your while to find an
XMODEM file transfer program for your mainframe and install it under your
own account... I've had to look at doing this for my VAX account, since
there's nothing available on the system normally...

Other than that, you might look at getting FLASH for your ST, since there's
a KERMIT accessory available for it, if that's all your mainframe offers.

BobR

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (06/16/90)

n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) writes:
>I am attempting to do the transfer by simply listing the binary
>code on the screen, and turning on one of ST-Talk Pro's capture
>buffers to capture the code.

There are Basic and Unix (C-language) versions of UUENCODE and UUDECODE
floating around.  So you can uue on the Unix side, send it via "capture"
mode (text) to your Atari, and then run it thru uud (the Basic version)
to regenerate the binary version.

Clumsy, but it works.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (06/17/90)

In article <30835@cup.portal.com> someone writes:

>What mainframe are you using..?   It might be worth your while to find an
>XMODEM file transfer program for your mainframe and install it under your
>own account... I've had to look at doing this for my VAX account, since
>there's nothing available on the system normally...
>
>Other than that, you might look at getting FLASH for your ST, since there's
>a KERMIT accessory available for it, if that's all your mainframe offers.

Or get Uniterm, it's free.