[comp.sys.atari.st] gulam on TOS1.4

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (06/15/90)

Does anybody know if there is a version of gulam that runs correctly under
TOS1.4? This week I got a new Mega 1 with TOS 1.4 and the gulam version I
used to run under the old Blitter Tos doesn't seem to like TOS1.4. Gulam
starts correctly but the execution of e.g. the mem or ls command results in a
crash due to a bus error (?). (I can't remember my Gulam version right now, but
it is a beta version)
Any help is appreciated.
_     _____________________________________________________________________
 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland
* Hardware Development Department, Apeldoorn, bldg V1-B1, ph 055-432652

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (06/17/90)

In article <667@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
	(W.C. Bulte) writes:
 > Does anybody know if there is a version of gulam that runs correctly under
 > TOS1.4? This week I got a new Mega 1 with TOS 1.4 and the gulam version I
 > used to run under the old Blitter Tos doesn't seem to like TOS1.4. Gulam
 > starts correctly but the execution of e.g. the mem or ls command results in
 > a crash due to a bus error (?). (I can't remember my Gulam version right
 > now, but it is a beta version)
 > Any help is appreciated.

Oh, panic!  I was considering getting a 1.4 upgrade.  But it certainly
is not worth any money if I will have to go without Gulam!

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (06/17/90)

In article <1990Jun17.024132.25471@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) writes:
> In article <667@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
> 	(W.C. Bulte) writes:
>  > Does anybody know if there is a version of gulam that runs correctly under
>  > TOS1.4? This week I got a new Mega 1 with TOS 1.4 and the gulam version I
>  > used to run under the old Blitter Tos doesn't seem to like TOS1.4. Gulam
>  > starts correctly but the execution of e.g. the mem or ls command results in
>  > a crash due to a bus error (?). (I can't remember my Gulam version right
>  > now, but it is a beta version)
>  > Any help is appreciated.
>
> Oh, panic!  I was considering getting a 1.4 upgrade.  But it certainly
> is not worth any money if I will have to go without Gulam!

Don't panic. gulam works just fine under 1.4, except that the "mem" command
causes a bus error. It's simple enough to write a little program that uses
Malloc(-1L) to check the amount of free memory, and alias "mem" to  this
"newmem.ttp". I use gulam all the time with tos 1.4 (in fact, it's installed
as an auto-boot application, which is a good reason to get tos 1.4 -- so
you can see gulam when you turn on the computer instead of that silly
desktop :-).
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ERSMITH@uwovax.uwo.ca

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (06/28/90)

In article <687@idcapd.idca.tds.philips.nl> wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
	(W.C. Bulte) writes:

>I recently received information that the incompatibility of Gulam with TOS1.4
>is limited to the 'mem' command. It seems that Gulam uses a undocumented TOS
>routine or variable and apparently this has changed with TOS1.4.

Others have reported this too.  Eric R. Smith, (ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca),
has pointed out that a simple C program may be aliased to mem, so that
the command "mem" does not access the Gulam function, but invokes the
C program that tells you the largest chunk of memory you have available
for use.