[comp.sys.atari.st] NetHack

cpm@datlog.co.uk (Paul Merriman) (06/29/88)

	Hi,
		I'm after Nethack as well so if anyone is going to answer could
they mail me as well or maybe post it to the net ?

  ____   ____  __    __
 |      |    | | \  / |
 |      |____| |  \/  |
 |____  |      |      |     I am a free man..."

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (07/07/88)

In article <808@dlhpedg.co.uk> cpm@.co.uk (Paul Merriman) writes:

>	Hi,
>		I'm after Nethack as well so if anyone is going to answer could
>they mail me as well or maybe post it to the net ?

Please include me also in the mail list. I'd like to have it too.

Axel

fischer@netmbx.UUCP
...!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

moses@m2-net.UUCP (Eric Doggett) (07/11/88)

In article <2053@netmbx.UUCP> fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) writes:
>In article <808@dlhpedg.co.uk> cpm@.co.uk (Paul Merriman) writes:
>>
>>	Hi,
>>		I'm after Nethack as well so if anyone is going to answer could
>>they mail me as well or maybe post it to the net ?
>>
>Please include me also in the mail list. I'd like to have it too.
>
>Axel
>
>fischer@netmbx.UUCP
>...!pyramid!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer

I would like a copy of it too..
Please send information to get it (I am quite new here)
       Thanks..
            -moses-

whitbye@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Elliot Maxwell Whitby) (09/29/88)

If anyone out there has a copy of NetHack for the ST then you couldn't possibly
send me a copy or possibly give me some form of address , and I could send out
some disks.
	By the way who cares if you can write to write-protected disks anyway.
When a program appears to do it and we get hold of it then everyone will
believe.

ps
			Borf is Here

jheddy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Jared Brennan) (06/13/90)

     I'm looking for an ftp site which has the binaries for Atari ST NetHack.
I'd prefer a site which hasn't used zoo or lharc to compress the binaries.
I don't seem to have a working version of either.  I don't care which version
it is, as long as it's NetHack, as opposed to Hack.  The ST Hack I have seems
to like eating the disks from which it's run in an insidious sort of way...

     Thanks for your help!  I look forward to eating a jackal in your honor!

--
. . . Yet another shallow and badly thought-out opinion from:
Jared Brennan <jheddy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>	BITNET: JHEDDY@JHUNIX,JHUVMS

jheddy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Jared Brennan) (06/14/90)

     For anyone who's interested, the binaries are stored at
link.cis.upenn.edu in pub/NH3.0/atari.  There are 3 files,
README.ST, nh308bin.zoo, and nh308sup.zoo.  The directions for
running the game from floppy are a bit lacking, but it works,
from both floppy and hard disk.  Even from floppy, you should
be able to finish the game before you run out of disk space
(of course, you have to use two double-sided disks).

     And it's a complete version!  Nothing taken out to save
space!  It needs ~900K free memory, but even so, I'm impressed.
NetHack has been getting pretty complicated . . .

     One thing, for those who're planning to run this on a
color monitor:  Don't use the HACKFNT.PRG thing.  It seems
to require monochrome.

--
. . . Yet another shallow and badly thought-out opinion from:
Jared Brennan <jheddy@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>	BITNET: JHEDDY@JHUNIX,JHUVMS

bammi@fermi.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (06/14/90)

thanks to eric smith, they are now available for ftp from dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu
or picasso.ces.cwru.edu too. the relevant files are pub/atari/nh308bin.zoo
and pub/atari/nh308sup.zoo
--
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.CES.CWRU.Edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu

ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (06/28/90)

In article <1990Jun27.201016.27871@wam.umd.edu>, dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) writes:
> Yes, NetHack is truly a great game.  I've probably spent more hours
> playing NetHack than any other ST game.  (The latest port is great!)

Thanks! I'm glad people are enjoying the game.

Incidentally, for people who missed the announcement on rec.games.hack
a while ago, the binaries of NetHack 3.0.8 for the ST are available via
anonymous FTP from terminator.cc.umich.edu, linc.cis.upenn.edu, and
dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu. (I'm not sure if the atari@terminator mail server
is working yet, but if/when it is people will be able to retrieve them
by mail from there). There are two files, nh308bin.zoo and nh308sup.zoo,
containing the binaries and support files respectively.

Also, these binaries report themselves as being patchlevel 8, but they
really should be called "patchlevel 8+", since a few minor post-
patchlevel 8 bugs have been fixed. (There will likely be a "patchlevel 9"
posted for the sources, which will incorporate these fixes).

The source code for NetHack is available from uunet.uu.net, and I think
it will also be reposted in its entirety on comp.sources.games sometime
in the near future.

NetHack is a real memory pig, unfortunately. It requires a 1 meg machine
and a double-sided drive to play. Compiling the source code with the
gcc takes 2 megabytes of memory (absolute bare minimum, believe me!)
and a hard disk, and is recommended only for masochists :-).
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ERSMITH@uwovax.uwo.ca