[comp.sys.atari.st] STe summaries -- post.

Metalist@cup.portal.com (Bryan Jones Woodworth) (06/30/90)

Due to unprecedented demand, here is the STe summary:
Here are the STe summaries you requested.  Please note that the postings are not in chronological order.

From: daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert; Orebro Tech. College)

In article <30957@cup.portal.com> you write:

>Please, inform me: Is the STe incompatible with the ST? Or is this
>just a bunch of baloney? Those of you in Europe, Canada and elsewhere
>{ave had access to the STe for some time now.  What problems does it
>possess? I thought it was just an ST, though enhanced with a few extra
>goodies like better color and sound and a few extra ports.

  It is not fully compatible.  Games tend to use a lot of non-documented
features of the "original" ST, and so they won't work on the STe.

  I'm currently working{in a local toystore, and around 30 % of
the ST games we have DOES NOT work.

  New games (1990 ->), though, seems to work fairly well.

  On the whole, the new features DOES NOT impress. The sound is
plain raw sampling, which can be played in only five or six different
frequencies.  And forget about the palette, noone will use it, since
it won't work on the ST.
  Hardware scrolling is nothing to care about, the LYNX do it much
better.  If you wanna play -- buy an Amiga or a LYNX. Not a STe.

  The only things which is _really_ good are the blitter and
the possibility to upgrade with SIMMs.
----
From: AAron

 Ya, I've got an RF modulator, and 4 1megx8chip simms in my 1040STe
I used two Macintosh 2meg memory upgrade kits, and they are
100ns.  I was told not to get any slower than 120ns.

yep, once ya got them, ya just pop out the 256x8 simms and pop the
new ones in! Cake...

Dragon's Lair? no, haven't even heard of that one, so I don't know if
it supports the extra colors.
BUT I have a friend's SPACE ACE, and it DOES support the xtra colors.
Only makes for better fades between scenes (I saw it on a MEGA2 also)...

hummm... Metalist, have I seen that name in the music sigs?
Do you know Dean Swan? Do you have an ST?
----
From: sun!eua.ericsson.se!Arto.Nummelin

Hi, I bought my 520STe in December '89. With it came a bunch of programs
called the 'Power Pack'. The games included were

Pac-Mania	Nebulus		Bomb Jack	Afterburner
Super Hang-on	Black Lamp	Space Harrier	Overlander
R-Type		Starglider	Double Dragon	Outrun
+ 8 more which I can't remember now.

Of these R-Type didn't work.
I have also downloaded many of the programs from comp.binaries.atari.st
and all of them worked except for the 'mem' command in gulam.

So as I see it it seems that the STe is almost compatible with the ST
and when it isn't I guess it is because the programs use direct adressing
of some memory variables instead of using standard system calls.

I have upgraded my machine to 2 meg with two SIMM's. Very easy, about
5 min work. I have also connected a 5.25" 360k drive to it by using an
old drive from an IBM PC. This works fine if I use a small program which
changes the steprate for the B: drive.

----
From: gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl)

The "Mega problem" was that games accessed "secret" GEMDOS, VDI, and
AES variables at fixed locations in memory... under TOS 1.0. Atari
said "don't do that, we are going to move these variables". So when
the Megas came out with TOS 1.2, Atari had moved the variables, and a
lot of games that had broken the rules broke.

There was a short flurry of patches, people explaining how to patch
old games to get the variables in the new locations.
----
From: eric@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk

Hi!

I posted a similar question a couple of months ago (although I
don't particularly care about whether ANY games run on the STe as
I don't play computer games -- personal taste:  I get bored in
minutes from most games!).  Following is a summary of what I got
in response.

Good luck!  Hope this little bit helps,

eric

........oo...ooo..o..o.o...o.o....oooo..oo...o.....o.....ooo..o..............
  Eric S Fraga, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Edinburgh
  phone: +44 31 667 1081 x2955,  e.s.fraga@uk.ac.ed  or  e.s.fraga@ed.ac.uk

First of all, thanks to everybody that answered my posting.

Essentially, the answers to my two questions are:

1. the STe's are compatible with everything I would want one for (mostly
editors, compilers, shells, and terminal emulators).

2. all kinds of different answers although Third Coast Technologies got
the most votes (not that the number is statistically valid :-).

I have included all useful (i.e. > 0 information content :-) responses
at the end of this posting.

Again, thanks to everybody that answered!

eric

---------------------------------------//------------------------------------
---------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: Herbert Sauro <eang62@ed.castle>

I saw your mail on comp.sys.atari.st concerning STE compatibility. Four
things I run regularly are:

       Mark Williams C  -  no problems so far
       TeX from Tools of W. Germany  -  no problems so far
       Gulam  - if you ask for free mamory it bombs out, otherwise seems ok
       Prospero Pascal  -  no problems so far.

I think you'll find that the majority of serious software runs without
problems. Its probably mainly games which are having problems with
compatibility. Basically don't believe what you read in the mags,
expecially ST Format and those weeklies.

Herbert Sauro
Genetics, KB, Edinburgh

PS I have a 2MB STE (SM124 of course) + home-made hard disk and I am
quite happy with it (especially the price, 450 pounds for 2MB STE).

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: olorin@ed.cs.tardis

	I've just got an STE myself (4 meg 600 quid from best prices).
The following stuff I have checked and it appears OK.

GCC , Minix , Gulam , TeX ... I'll check Uniterm.

Mind you there's a rumour going round of an imminent price increase ...

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: "Jwahar R. Bammi" <bammi@edu.cwru.ces.curie>

eric,
	i have second hand report from people who use some of the stuff
that i wrote/ported that it all works on the STE (and TT, some of the
stuff was shown at Ceebit), this list includes:
gulam, gcc, TeX (StTeX, undump, BiBTeX), zmdm (terminal emulator with
x/y/z modem).

gulam: dont use the 'mem' builtin command, and you'll be ok.
no one have reported any other incompatibility.
--
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.CES.CWRU.Edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: Graham Thomas <grahamt@susx.syma>

Eric,

I'd appreciate it if you'd pass on whatever answers you get.  I'm
thinking of getting an expanded STE myself.

The hard disk question is tricky, isn't it?  We've had reasonably good
reliability from our Atari SH205s and Megafile 20s, but they lose out a
bit on price/performance.  Supra disks have been a bit flaky (I know of
three which have been ordered.  Each has had to be sent back to be
replaced.  Frontier have been very good with support, and two of the
three replacements have been reliable.)  The Power Computing disks look
tempting in terms of price, but I don't trust the company (not from
personal experience - just things I've read about them from other
users).  The Vortex drives are heavily advertised in German mags, and
are probably wery well made, but they're a bit more expensive than
others.  Third Coast drives might be the best compromise.  I've not used
any, and the company, I've heard, is a bit small and chaotic, but I've
not heard of serious problems or dishonesty.

Cheers,

Graham

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: CSTMCS@stafpol.cr83
Sender: "JANET CSTMCS@UK.AC.STAFPOL.CR83" <CSTMCS@stafpol.cr83>

I think the best on the market at the moment is the THird Coast Technologies
65Mb or 85Mb drives. These are reasonably large, and relatively cheap.
(65MB = #599, 85MB = #699) Both will take a second internal hard drive, which
if it's SCSI embedded, can simply be plugged in. TCT offer a 4.5% educational
discount, which you'd probably be able to use if you work at Edinburgh Uni.

As an alternative, since the TCT drives are so easily upgradable, you might
like to buy a smaller unit, and add an additional drive. In Micro Computer Mart
there are regular advertisements for 40Mb Scsi drives for about #100. In the
last issue, there was even a 85Mb Nec drive for #150.

Finally, the TCT drives are some of the fastest available (typically 25ms) and
have favourable reviews in various magazines (ST World, Jun 89 (?), ST User,
Aug 89/May 89 etc. THe 85MB has a removable drive mechanism for security.

I'll be buying a 65Mb drive next month, so if you get good reviews of other
drives, could you forward the details to me, (though I have checked the
competition very thouroughly:-)

Good luck,

Mark
   ( Computing Services, Staffordshire Polytechnic )

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: SCOFFIN@ox.vax

>From :
Rob Scoffin
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory
Oxford
SCOFFIN@uk.ac.oxford.vax

 I have just read your plea in info-atari16 for largish Atari HD's. We have
two 65Mb drives bought from Third Coast Technologies in Bradford (look in any
copy of ST User for details). The drives come in pretty "basic" cases but they
seem well made and have enough space (and power supply potential) to add a
second drive or a tape streamer (TCT sell their disks redy fitted with 40Mb
streamers if you like). The disk driver software and utilities provided seem
much better than the stuff that comes with the "Real" atari drives.... The last
time I looked at their ad's I think they were offering 105Mb (all the way from
20Mb upwards) at quite a reasonable price... So far we have had no problems at
all with either drive....

Hope this helps....

  Robbie Scoff
================
p.s. Atari's financial health ???? Who does care ????

------------------------------------//------------------------------------
From: Ralph Haglund <qralph@se.lth.dna>

Hi,
I am not in England, but I can always say what I would do...
Obviously buy a STE520 and put in SIMMs myself.
Get a 105Mbyte hard disk from Germany for DM1999. Fast, SCSI. I got an
85Mb in August from that same company that now sells that beast. My disk
slowly died with more and more errors (after all it is a Seagate, the 105Mb
one isn't... ), returned the whole a few weeks ago to Germany, and a few days
back I got paper from the customs here that it was back, they just wanted a few
additional papers to show it was a return so I wouldn't have to pay customs
twice.
Dunno what you plan to do - I occassionally do service on Ataris so I am not
afraid of opening them up...

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Want to talk to me? Try:                                   |
|  QRALPH@SELDC51  ||  QRALPH@SELDC52  ||  qralph@dna.lth.se  |
|  My name? In official Sweden it is: 4.901.185.654 (secret)  |
|  Anywhere else: Ralph Haglund                               |
|  Disclaimer: If it works, it's out of date.                 |

From : THE SLAYER
In message 1972/0/988, METALIST

 Hey dont tell anyone I told ya, but I
 heard from a guy in Oregon that th
 > STE is available in OREGON!

The STe is already available, but from what I've read, they aren't all
theyre cracked up to be...sure they have stereo and 4096 colors, but
you can mod a reg. ST...(i have a tweety board (3D stereo) and a 16Mhz
upgrade with Math Coprocessor.)...The bad thing is, the STe has TOS 1.6
which is even worse than TOS 1.4 from what I've read in mags...they had
a list (about 2+ pages) of games, VERY recent games, that would not
run on the STe...and thats only games...who knows how many utilities,
term programs, etc. wont work...they should have had 4096 and stereo
from the start, that way everyone would program around the standards
the everything would be compatible...that's one area where the Amiga has
the ST beat...
                  [] Slayer []
----
From: sun!eua.ericsson.se!Arto.Nummelin

>How long have you had your STe?
Since December '89.

>Could ya point out the good/bad points.
Good:
- SIMMs
- Blitter included
- stereo sound via 2 RCA connectors
- 4096 color palette
- CPU socketed => easy to add PC emulator
- some improvements in TOS:
	-possible to move filed/folders
	-(sorry should have been files/folders, I can't edit previous line)
	-some more I think

- plus all the good points of the ST

Bad:
- not very many programs that uses the new features (color, stereo)
- some new bugs in TOS:
	- sometimes when I double-click on a program, the (SHOW) (PRINT)
	  alert box appears
	- if I try to access a disk and the disk isn't inserted the
	  (RETRY) (ABORT) alert box appears. If I then click on
	  the (ABORT) the machine very often bombs. If I insert
	  a disk and click (RETRY) everything is ok.

>How much did it cost per 1 meg x eight chip SIMM strip?
I bought them via an ad. The guy who sold them had ordered them from the
USA for I think $89/SIMM.
----
From: clarkson.edu (AAron,,,)

I put four 1 meg by 8 chip 100ns SIMMs into my 1040STe and have had no
problems accessing the 4meg they give me.  They were part of a standard
Macintosh memory upgrade kit.  You must get EIGHT chip SIMMs (like the
Mac needs) for your STe, NOT NINE (Like the IBM needs) or TWELVE(like the
DEC Rainbows need).
 The extra chip on the 9 chip SIMMs lets the computer detect most memory
access errors, (Due to solar flairs or a disturbance in the force, or just
because it wanted to flip!) because it holds the parity bits..  The 12 chip
SIMMs have the extra 4 chips to not only DETECT the errors, but to even
CORRECT them!!

   I purchased TWO:
                        MICRON TECHNOLOGY, INC.
PC Enhancement Product
                        Xceed 2MB Memory Expansion Kit(s)
                        for Mac II SE/Plus (Low Profile)

They have worked perfectly for me, and people are wondering what works.
This is the reason I am bringing this information forward.
I'm not a "I liked it so much I bought the company" ...
----
From: sun!eua.ericsson.se!Arto.Nummelin

> Thanks for the information!  Could I ask you how you upgrade using SIMMS??
I opened the case by removing 7 (i think) screws. (One screwhole was covered
by a Atari seal, so I guess don't have any guarantee for the machine anymore)
I then removed a shielding plate fastened by 4 screws. Then I took away
the 2 256k*8 SIMMS and replaced them with 2 1M*8 SIMMs (the Mac type, but
if you get hold of 1M*9 SIMMs, they can also be used although one bit is unused).
I tried to put the 256k*8 SIMMs in the 2 empty slots but that didn't work,
the machine kept rebooting. So I sold my 256k*8 SIMMs unfortunately, since
I saw later in a comp.sys.atari.st article that someone had a little program
that made it possible to mix the two types of SIMM's.
Well after putting back the shielding plate and the cover I now have
a 2080STe. When I get enough money I`ll buy 2MB more so I can use some
of the more memory consuming programs like GNU C++ or GNU Smalltalk. Since
I don't have a harddisk I also use Ramdisk which takes a lot of memory.

Hope this clarified something.
----

*** END OF STe SUMMARIES ***