[comp.sys.atari.st] longer cables for Megafile

wmc@altos86.Altos.COM (Wayne Cronin) (06/12/90)

 I just purchased an Atari Megafile 60 hard disk drive. It comes with a
 cable that is only about two feet long. This would be fine if I were
 using it with a Mega stacked above/below the drive, but I need to use
 it with an STe placed somewhere "in front" of the drive unit. Does
 anybody know if there are extension cables (or just plain replacements)
 available? Three or four feet would be about right.

 (BTW, one dealer I asked said that cables longer than two feet did not
 exist because they woule cause data loss. I hope this is not true, but
 it has just a shade of believability. Has anybody else heard this?)

wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (06/13/90)

In article <3428@altos86.Altos.COM>, wmc@altos86.Altos.COM (Wayne Cronin) writes...

> I just purchased an Atari Megafile 60 hard disk drive. It comes with a
> (BTW, one dealer I asked said that cables longer than two feet did not
> exist because they woule cause data loss. I hope this is not true, but
Unless Atari has improoved there host adapter then your dealer was correct.
Actualy as I recall the cable used to be limited to 18" on the Atari drives.

The only way I know of to be able to use a longer cable is to replace the host
adapter with an ICD host adapter. The ICD host adapter allows a 3' cable
(still not long enough for some instances).

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

bms@bdt.UUCP (Vance Chin) (07/03/90)

In article <1790@engage.enet.dec.com> wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) writes:

>Unless Atari has improoved there host adapter then your dealer was correct.
>Actualy as I recall the cable used to be limited to 18" on the Atari drives.
>
>The only way I know of to be able to use a longer cable is to replace the host
>adapter with an ICD host adapter. The ICD host adapter allows a 3' cable
>(still not long enough for some instances).

Changing your host adapter is not the only way to get a longer cable.  We have
developed a DMA cable that specifically addresses the problems inherent in the
Atari interface.  This is not a simple random wire cable, we have isolated
the noise producing signals from the noise sensitive ones.  The cable is 3 feet
in length and has been sold as an upgrade for all Atari hard disks since
July '89. Please EMail me for additional information.

Chris Rhodin
Berkeley Microsystems
bms@bdt.UUCP