[comp.sys.atari.st] Portfolio & Metal Detectors Qu?

curt@quest.UUCP (Curtis S Gibson) (07/04/90)

A Question about the Atari Portfolio computer.

A friend of mine is travelling to Europe soon and plans to take her
Portfolio with her.  What dangers will the Airport metal detectors
and X-ray machines be to it?  Any horror or "Took a licking and
keeps on ticking" stories.  Suggestions are welcome.

I would rather part with my left ear than part with my 1040.
WAIT!  It might be DANGEROUS... You go first.
Curtis, Knight of the White Feather.  Contrary.
work: curt@quest.uucp  612-894-7752  home: 612-894-9917

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (07/07/90)

In article <10173@quest.UUCP> curt@quest.UUCP (Curtis S Gibson) writes:

>A friend of mine is travelling to Europe soon and plans to take her
>Portfolio with her.  What dangers will the Airport metal detectors
>and X-ray machines be to it?  Any horror or "Took a licking and
>keeps on ticking" stories.

I heard one horror story recently.  A friend of mine brought a portable
on the plane.  The X-ray operator took extra interest and scanned it
a couple of times.   After this it would not boot, because, apparently
the hard drive was wiped clean.  Best explanation I have heard yet is
this:  The X-rays themselves do not hurt the magnetic media, but the
focusing coils do.

Does anyone else know about problems like this?