[comp.sys.atari.st] To Park or not to Park ....

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (07/12/90)

	I have a Quantum Pro 80meg drive that autoparks, so I haven't had to
worry about this problem too much, but I was curious to know if others have
had this problem:  When using the makepark program that came with my ICD host
adapter, I use the resulting park program on the Quantum:  The result is an
alarming sound - the apparent slowing down of the Drive with some other nasty
sounds.   Needless to say, that was the last time I used it, but I was
wondering if the park program is destructive to autoparking systems, or just
Quantums, or is the sound I was hearing no more destructive to my disk than any
other disk read?

	Anyone else have this problem?  Or am I just special....:)

-Mike

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (07/12/90)

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:

>	I have a Quantum Pro 80meg drive that autoparks, so I haven't had to
>worry about this problem too much, but I was curious to know if others have
>had this problem:  When using the makepark program that came with my ICD host
>adapter, I use the resulting park program on the Quantum:  The result is an
>alarming sound - the apparent slowing down of the Drive with some other nasty
>sounds.   Needless to say, that was the last time I used it, but I was
>wondering if the park program is destructive to autoparking systems, or just
>Quantums, or is the sound I was hearing no more destructive to my disk than any
>other disk read?

This is just the way it should be. If you send a SHIP command to a Quantum
drive, it will spin down and just sit there waiting for some reviving command
from the computer. If you look at some SCSI specs, this is perfectly OK:
The SHIP command really is called "START/STOP UNIT" in SCSI terms, so
that's what Quantum drives do.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

vanleeuw@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (James Van Leeuwen) (07/14/90)

In article <10764@chaph.usc.edu> baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) writes:

>	I have a Quantum Pro 80meg drive that autoparks, so I haven't had to
>worry about this problem too much, but I was curious to know if others have
>had this problem:  When using the makepark program that came with my ICD host
>adapter, I use the resulting park program on the Quantum:  The result is an
>alarming sound - the apparent slowing down of the Drive with some other nasty
>sounds.
>...stuff deleted...
Mike,

Well, doing that wasn't probably wasn't the smartest thing you could do.
Auto-parking mechanisms, regardless of their manufacturer, do not respond well
to forced parking.  Where I work, that is one of the ways that we have seen
that have a shot of crashing the mechinism.  We even saw one once that
had the head drug across the media when parking was forced.  My advise,
don't do it again unless your hard drive is meaningless to you.

Jim
--
 "We didn't start the fire,   /   ___/_                         Jim Van Leeuwen
  it was always burning      /   /  /  \               The University of Dayton