[comp.sys.atari.st] Need help with mouse problem :

iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/10/90)

	I have a little problem with my 1040ST which I just
bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse
really fast to the left, it may move in that direction, though.
Anyone, have any ideas about what may be wrong?  I would especially
appreciate anyone in the Ithaca area who can give me a call, or
email.
Thanks in advance :-).

David Chin
IOJJ@CORNELLA
(607)272-6766 [>7pm]
(607)255-5732 [work]

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (07/10/90)

In article <4529.2699075f@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
writes...
>bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
>It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
>moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse
Sounds like the rollers need cleaning. Just pop out the ball and clean the
"gunk" off the three rollers. If you are a little adventurous you can remove
the two screws and seperate the mouse halves, this makes it easier to give the
rollers a good cleaning.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (07/11/90)

In article <1869@engage.enet.dec.com> you write:

>In article <4529.2699075f@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
>writes...
>>bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
>>It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
>>moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse
>Sounds like the rollers need cleaning. Just pop out the ball and clean the
>"gunk" off the three rollers. If you are a little adventurous you can remove
>the two screws and seperate the mouse halves, this makes it easier to give the
>rollers a good cleaning.

Although if you've already tried this (obvious) solution, the chances
are that you've blown one of the horizontal i-r emitter/receiver pairs,
most likely the orange i-r led transmitter as these do break given
violent shocks.  If this the case then you will have to refer servicing
to qualified personell.

On the other hand, check for breaks in the traces with a magnifying glass,
clean any extranious dust from the internal mechanism by the i-r pairs,
do a continuity check of all wires coming from the keyboard jack and,
if all else fails, ATARI will replace your mouse for just $25 if you
send in the dead one to an authorized service center.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

--

iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/12/90)

In article <4529.2699075f@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> 	I have a little problem with my 1040ST which I just
> bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
> It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
> moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse
> really fast to the left, it may move in that direction, though.
> Anyone, have any ideas about what may be wrong?  I would especially
> appreciate anyone in the Ithaca area who can give me a call, or
> email.
> Thanks in advance :-).
>
> David Chin
> IOJJ@CORNELLA
> (607)272-6766 [>7pm]
> (607)255-5732 [work]

    Thanks to everyone who replied.  I got some helpful info
which showed me the right place to look.  I fiddled around
with the thing last night, and managed to repair it.
     So, here's what went wrong.  Firstly, the mouse was
cleaned off, but to no avail.  Then, I looked at some other
suggestions.  The one that struck me the most likely was
that it something to do with the opto-thingamajig.  And it
was.  The rollers are on an "axle", and they have to be parallel
to the plane of the mouse base, i.e. they must not jiggle up
and down or left and right.  The axle in my mouse was jiggling
vertically.  If you look carefully at both the axles, you can
see that the ends are held down by plastic things (very sorry
I don't know the technical names :-)).  The end with the
slotted wheel is held down by a plastic rod, which you can see
if you look down parallel to the axle through the hole in the
plastic post in which the axle end is held.  Turns out that
that was loose on my mouse:  I found that out by comparing it
with the vertical axis axle. Just put a small screwdriver into
the hole at the top (looking vertically down) of the plastic
post, you can push the plastic rod back down onto the axle to
hold it in place.
    Now, about the screws.  Those just hold the whole assembly,
circuit board and all, down to the mouse case.  The reason that
fiddling with those screws works is that if you loosen them, you
make clearance for the mouse ball to jiggle vertically, and that
prevents the axle from jiggling.
   Well, that's it.  Thanks again for all the helpful replies.
:-)   :-)

David Chin
IOJJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
IOJJ@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

Disclaimer:  the usual, I guess
"The sun in Ithaca shines mainly outdoors ..."

MERTENS@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (07/14/90)

In article <1869@engage.enet.dec.com>, wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace)
says:

>In article <4529.2699075f@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, iojj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
>writes...
>>bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
>>It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
>>moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse
>Sounds like the rollers need cleaning. Just pop out the ball and clean the
>"gunk" off the three rollers. If you are a little adventurous you can remove
>the two screws and seperate the mouse halves, this makes it easier to give the
>rollers a good cleaning.

I've had the same problem with my vertical movement. Sometimes the mouse
would only move up, sometimes down. cleaning was of no help. its now
working again, after opening-looking inside-and closing several times.
but from time to time the mouse-arrow drops about an inch or so on the
screen. i've also checked vor viruses-none. I think the cable is worn
out. i'll try a new mouse anyway some time.

-------

        Steve, Berlin.      | MERTENS@DB0TUI11

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (07/14/90)

MERTENS@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de writes:

>>>bought used:  the mouse  doesn't work in the horizontal direction.
>>>It's very strange, but no matter which way I move it, the cursor
>>>moves to the right.  The vertical axis is OK.  If I move the mouse

Sounds like "loose cable" to me:

the mouse sends four signals to the keyboard processor; two each for
horizontal and vertical movement.
Whether the cursor is to be moved left or right is determined by which
of the signals appears first.

If one wire has no contact to the connector, the other one will appear
as "first" to the keyboard processor all the time: the cursor moves in
one direction only.

Check all connections and plugs (inside the mouse and connector to ST)
for conection. If necessary, replace connectors or cables.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

bartho@obs.unige.ch (PAUL BARTHOLDI, OBSERVATOIRE DE GENEVE) (07/17/90)

In article <907@netmbx.UUCP>, hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:

> Sounds like "loose cable" to me:

I have an other interpretation of this problem (based on 25 1040st in my lab
and about half a dozen or more sick mouse ...)  The culprit are the encoders.
The heavy ball drive two wheels that pass through optical 'gates'.  They
each produce two signals that should be dephased by 90 degree.  If this
change too much, then you get your stange observed effects.

Cure :  First clean every thing carefully.  Dust on the axes or the optical
        path can cause the phase error.

	Second, but this is an other story :  with time, i have noticed that
	the optical system performance are changing and this must be readjusted.
	In principle, you find two screews (with red paint ?) at one extremity
	of the optical part, and they should be used to adjust the phase.  Now
	for some reasons, the light emiters and receivers are solidly soldered
	on the printed board, and the screews have no effect any more.
	The solution we have found is this:  unsolder the four wires going
	from the printed board to the emiter and receiver, bend them
	horizontaly, solder on them thin wires that you also solder to the
	printed board at the original place.  They should make some thing like
	a 'Z', in such a way that you can now change the phase with the screews!
	Best try to look at the signals (and phase) with an oscillo !
	If you need a drawing, just ask, the ptt will transmit it.

	If this sounds too much, and the cleaning does'nt works, then I am
	afraid that you better get a new mouse (logitech has one now for the
	atari for about 60$ [in Switzwerland ...] that should be very
	reliable).

                             Good luck !                 Paul.

     |  Dr Paul Bartholdi             bartho@cgeuge54.bitnet        |
     |  Observatoire de Geneve        bartho@obs.unige.ch           |
     |  51, chemin des Maillettes     02284682161350::bartho (psi)  |
     |  CH-1290 Sauverny              20579::ugobs::bartho          |
     |  Switzerland                   +41 22 755 39 83       (fax)  |
     |                                +41 22 755 26 11     (phone)  |
     |                                +45 419 209 obsg ch  (telex)  |