[comp.sys.atari.st] Gemini with Quick ST 2.x

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (07/18/90)

Use of Quick ST II with Gemini results in the inability to have stdio
appear in the Mupfel window - it takes over the whole screen. Is this
incompatibility being addressed by either the Gemini authors or BRA?
#  Bill Sheppard -- bill@mwca.microware.com -- {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (07/19/90)

In article <1666@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>Use of Quick ST II with Gemini results in the inability to have stdio
>appear in the Mupfel window - it takes over the whole screen. Is this
>incompatibility being addressed by either the Gemini authors or BRA?

I have the feeling that little incompatibilities will continue to be
discovered and fixed in Quick ST and Turbo ST until they perform not
much better than TOS. Then we'll know why Atari did it that way in the
first place. No flames please. It's a nice day and I'm just musing.

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (07/20/90)

In article <1666@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>Use of Quick ST II with Gemini results in the inability to have stdio
>appear in the Mupfel window - it takes over the whole screen. Is this
>incompatibility being addressed by either the Gemini authors or BRA?

Bill, if you have having problems with redirection, either in Gemini or
any other shell, use Quick ST 2.1G or 2.2G. The G versions do not hook into
the GEMDOS text output functions, so they do not interfere with redirection,
but they still give you a speedup in text output. Both the normal and G
versions speed up GEM the same amount. If you haven't yet upgraded to
Quick ST 2.1 or higher, do so because you are missing out a lot.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka                            All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007