[comp.sys.atari.st] cataloging your disks

ljdickey@daisy.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jun26.145321.9843@water.waterloo.edu> I wrote:

>Our local librarian is looking for good stuff to use to
>organize the our club PD and Shareware collection.

>   (1)	What software do you ... use
>	to keep your library in order?

and I got NO answers.  Does this mean that nobody out there keeps a
list of all the stuff they have on disks?  I don't believe it.

C'mon folks, you can do better than that!
How do you keep track of all your stuff?

a1318@mindlink.UUCP (Kent Cavaghan) (07/13/90)

Hi Lee,
   Perhaps the problem was one of your msg. not getting out to the net.I'm not
certain but I do not believe that I saw here.
   Anyways,a possible solution is a STart Mag.prg.called Director used in
conjuction with CardSTack,a free form DB.Both are from the Special Issue #3
1988.While not ideal,at least it will give you something to go with until you
find something better.
   IF you should find something that you like better,could you pls let me
know,as I'm in the same situation.
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/  Kent Cavaghan                    |   "Machines are only Human"   /

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (07/13/90)

This is in answer to your question about software to keep your
libraries in order.  I seem to recall quite a few programs to organize
archives....there was one by GrimWare, I forget what it was called
though. Look on BBS's or the net...Some names I seem to remember is
DiskScan, DiskKeeper

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul12.190934.1951@watdragon.waterloo.edu>,
ljdickey@daisy.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes...
>In article <1990Jun26.145321.9843@water.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>>   (1)	What software do you ... use
>>	to keep your library in order?
Since you insist. I used to use uEmacs, the current librarian and the
librarian before me both just use an editor to create and update the list.

As far as maintaining the disks, it is just a matter of copying (and sometimes
deleting) files as appropriate.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRAUN DAVID M) (07/14/90)

In article <1878@engage.enet.dec.com>, wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) writes...

>>>   (1)	What software do you ... use
>>>	to keep your library in order?
>Since you insist. I used to use uEmacs, the current librarian and the
>librarian before me both just use an editor to create and update the list.
>As far as maintaining the disks, it is just a matter of copying (and sometimes
>deleting) files as appropriate.

Good Greif!  You do all that by hand!  Get Dscan100 or DskCat or HDScan from
your local FTP site, Terminator has them all.  Both floppy programs "suck"
in the directory of your floppys and you can sort through them and keep them
in order.  I couldn't imagine doing all this by hand.  They all allow searching
for files or folders on ANY disk in the data base, it is easy to update when
you change your disks or files.
  HDScan reads all the directorys of your hard drives and lets you find things
regardles of how deep they are nested or hidden from you in folders.
  I just hate to see people doing work that can be done automatically by
computers, this is what we have them for isn't it?
				8-)
David M. Braun				   		    FSDMB3@ALASKA.BITNET
						     fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
University of Alaska, Fairbanks		     Where it's mild when it's 40 below.

techno@zelator.UUCP (Frank Dahncke) (07/19/90)

ljdickey@daisy.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:

>In article <1990Jun26.145321.9843@water.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>C'mon folks, you can do better than that!
>How do you keep track of all your stuff ?

Easy. I use SuperBase Personal V2.0 and it does the job perfectly. Even prints
labels and lists and such. No problems.

                         Hope this helps,

                                   Techno

--
| techno@zelator.UUCP   |||    Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.UUCP     / | \   Hardcore ST user !   ====================== |

john@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul12.190934.1951@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@daisy.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <1990Jun26.145321.9843@water.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>
>>Our local librarian is looking for good stuff to use to
>>organize the our club PD and Shareware collection.
>
>>   (1)	What software do you ... use
>>	to keep your library in order?
>
>and I got NO answers.  Does this mean that nobody out there keeps a
>list of all the stuff they have on disks?  I don't believe it.
>
>C'mon folks, you can do better than that!
>How do you keep track of all your stuff?

I have found an excellent package.  Its in Volume6 of the archives and
is called stdcat43.  Just look on your local server.

--

John Trickey                      British Telecom Applied Systems.
jvt@its.bt.co.uk                  ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its

huber@gmdzi.UUCP (Hans Huber) (07/20/90)

From article <9&Y$JN-@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk>, by john@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey):
> In article <1990Jul12.190934.1951@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@daisy.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>>In article <1990Jun26.145321.9843@water.waterloo.edu> I wrote:
>>
>>>Our local librarian is looking for good stuff to use to
>>>organize the our club PD and Shareware collection.

 .... stuff deleted ...

> I have found an excellent package.  Its in Volume6 of the archives and
> is called stdcat43.  Just look on your local server.
>
> John Trickey                      British Telecom Applied Systems.

Well, it's a very nice program, but what do I do when I want to catalog
my 5 1/4'' disks from drive B: ? I can't select it. It's the feature
I miss in this excellent program.

H.Huber, GMD, Project E.I.S., P.O.Box 1240, D-5205 Sankt Augustin 2,
West Germany. E-Mail: huber@gmdzi.uucp

--
Hans Huber, Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung (GMD)
Projekt E.I.S., Schloss Birlinghoven, Postfach 1240, 5205 Sankt Augustin 1