[comp.sys.atari.st] How to control memory taken by Uniterm

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (07/21/90)

When I had a 1meg ST, I would be left with about 300K of free
RAM when running Uniterm.  Now that I've got a 2.5 meg ST, I
am left with the same amount of free RAM while running
Uniterm.  (yes, I'm using the same accs, etc. as before)
What gives here?  Is Uniterm like Excell on the Mac, i.e. it
expands to whatever the RAM will allow?  What buffers can
I/should I edit to get more operating room?
Thanks very much for any help.
--Gerry
maxg@suvm  (bitnet)
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu  (internet)

In article <3964@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>When I had a 1meg ST, I would be left with about 300K of free
>RAM when running Uniterm.  Now that I've got a 2.5 meg ST, I
>am left with the same amount of free RAM while running
>Uniterm.  (yes, I'm using the same accs, etc. as before)
>What gives here?  Is Uniterm like Excell on the Mac, i.e. it
>expands to whatever the RAM will allow?  What buffers can
>I/should I edit to get more operating room?

Check the Buffers menu. The amount of RAM uniterm leaves for the
rest of the system is explicitly set in the "System" menu. Anything
you increase here will cause a corresponding decrease in the size of
your history buffer. (So in that respect, yes, it expands to fill
all available space, minus what you tell it to save... The history
buffer will always be whatever memory is left over from allocating
all the other buffers.)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip