[comp.sys.atari.st] hdx 3.0 partitioning

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/24/90)

Hi!

I'm modifying the ST wini driver to deal with hdx 3.0 partitioning.
Now I'm left with a few questions:
1) What is the maximum # of partitions possible?
2) Can the partition inside an XGM partition have other types than
   GEM and BGM (e.g. MIX). Of course I mean the regular partitions, not
   the links.

Thanks,
--
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (07/25/90)

meulenbr@cst.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) writes:

>Hi!

>I'm modifying the ST wini driver to deal with hdx 3.0 partitioning.
>Now I'm left with a few questions:
>1) What is the maximum # of partitions possible?
GEMDOS won't allow you to have more than 16 drives installed at one
time. You can, however, divide your hard disk in as many partitions
as you like - judging from the general scheme. Probably the ATARI
driver is the critical point: I don't know if it can handle more than
16 partitions. Probably yes, but I'd have to look into the source
code to decide.

>2) Can the partition inside an XGM partition have other types than
>   GEM and BGM (e.g. MIX). Of course I mean the regular partitions, not
>   the links.
Yes, an inside XGM partition entry might have the type MIX or whatever.
Most third-party software that uses hard disk partitions (like other OSses)
cannot read the new ATARI partition scheme completely, so you're
restricted to partitions entries in the root sector of your hard disk.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de