[comp.sys.atari.st] Ibm keyboards on the st...can it be done?

brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) (07/20/90)

Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
excessive chaos?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

"posess yourself--or somebody else will
                      review yourself--you might find you're someone else"
                                 the FIXX

                          Brian Daniels
                          (brian@wolves)

jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/23/90)

brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:

>Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
>excessive chaos?

In short, no. Cause: incompatible scan codes.

On the other hand, you can buy a hardware modification in Germany
that consists of a replacement keyboard/IO processsor and a new
connector. Insert the new keyboard processor, set up the connector,
and, *WHAM*, there you are. Cute. The problem that is solved by the
new processor is that the only *really* compatible solution is to
patch the keyboard processor program. Alternative solutions based
on a new keyboard and some software hacks just aren't that compatible.

(disclaimer: I don't even have one of the things ! I only saw an ad).

	Jens
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.140138.4794@diku.dk> jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:
>brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
>

>>Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
>>excessive chaos?
>
>In short, no. Cause: incompatible scan codes.
>
>On the other hand, you can buy a hardware modification in Germany
>that consists of a replacement keyboard/IO processsor and a new
>connector. Insert the new keyboard processor, set up the connector,
>and, *WHAM*, there you are. Cute. The problem that is solved by the
>new processor is that the only *really* compatible solution is to
>patch the keyboard processor program. Alternative solutions based
>on a new keyboard and some software hacks just aren't that compatible.
>

>(disclaimer: I don't even have one of the things ! I only saw an ad).
>
>	Jens
>Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
>Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
>"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
>	apologies to  Dire Straits

And just how might us North Americans (Specifically US) obtain this package?
Has a distributor been appointed?  Can we order direct?  How much IS that
doggy in the window?
--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG		uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm
I don't speak for Ford - the PR department does that!

Any attempt at wit is liable to offend _somebody_!

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (07/24/90)

[jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes ... ]

> brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
>>Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
>>excessive chaos?
>
> In short, no. Cause: incompatible scan codes.
>
> On the other hand, you can buy a hardware modification in Germany
> that consists of a replacement keyboard/IO processsor and a new
> connector. Insert the new keyboard processor, set up the connector,
> and, *WHAM*, there you are. Cute. The problem that is solved by the
> new processor is that the only *really* compatible solution is to
> patch the keyboard processor program. Alternative solutions based
> on a new keyboard and some software hacks just aren't that compatible.
>
> (disclaimer: I don't even have one of the things ! I only saw an ad).

The latest catalog (No. E27) from E. Arthur Brown Co. includes the following:

          ST/PC Keyboard Interface
          Pre-review by Eben Brown
            Our new ZKEY's interface allows you to connect
	  an IBM PC/XT/AT compatible keyboard to your Atari
	  ST. Let's face it, there are some really nice
	  aftermarket keyboards made for PC Compatibles.
	  Many are more sensitive and better feeling than
	  our original Atari ST keyboards. With this new
	  ZKEYs interface, you can adapt one of those
	  keyboards for use on your Atari ST!
            The ZKEYs interface actually piggy-backs inside
	  your computer between the Atari ST keyboard
	  connector and its connecting jack. There is no
	  soldering ... just plug it in. Your ST keyboard
	  remains fully functional even though can connect
	  a PC keyboard!
            These ZKEYs interfaces are brand new and should
	  be shipping around the end of July. We expect a
	  pretty hot demand for them, so please order early!
          242-600 ZKEYs Interface 1 lb             $89.95

I have not seen the above product. I prefer the ST keyboard.

E. Arthur Brown Co. can be reached at:
  3404 Pawnee Drive
  Alexandria, MN 56308  USA
Toll-free order phone from USA: 1-800-322-4405
Regular telephone:              1-612-762-8847

Their catalog features current ST items (software and hardware) at
very good prices, plus close-out and special bargains. They are
liquidating GFA Draft Plus, GFA Artist, GFA RayTrace and Aegis
Animator at $19.95; and Regent Word II Collegiate and C-Breeze (text
editor for C) at $14.95. Calamus is $167.95 and PageStream is
$114.95. They also sell an assortment of RAM upgrade boards, hard
drive adaptors, the Michtron FAX modem, etc.

I have no connection to the E. Arthur Brown Co., although I have
purchased items from them in the past and received good service.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul23.140138.4794@diku.dk> jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:
>brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
>>Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
>>excessive chaos?
>In short, no. Cause: incompatible scan codes.

Actually, I heard about a piece of hardware which has a socket for an
IBM keyboard in one end and a MIDI OUT in the other, which you can plug
into your ST's MIDI IN port, and with the aid of software, use the
keyboard. I don't remember anything else about it though..

--
|S. Alan Ezust                                |  depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca|
|McGill University School of Computer Science |  Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/25/90)

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:

>[jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes ... ]

>> brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
[..]

>> (disclaimer: I don't even have one of the things ! I only saw an ad).

>The latest catalog (No. E27) from E. Arthur Brown Co. includes the following:
[..]

Also my source of info:

The company producing a 100% compatible PC keyboard interface:
 (well, that's what they advertise with...)

	Galatic - Stachowiak, Dornenburg & Raeker GbR
	Burggafenstrasse 88
	4300 Essen 1

Price 	349 DM with keyboard
	189 DM without keyboard.

Source for this
	ST magazin 6/Juni 90  page 111

Disclaimer: I've no connection with these people, and I wish I was a customer..

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (07/25/90)

In article <3782@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca>, depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) writes...
>In article <1990Jul23.140138.4794@diku.dk> jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:
>>brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
>>>Is it possible to connect an IBM AT-style keyboard to a 1040ST without
>>>excessive chaos?

Diverse Data Products 800-662-8662 advertises something called KX that allows
you to connect an AT-style keyboard to an ST.

wao@cbnewsm.att.com (william.a.oswald) (07/25/90)

>Actually, I heard about a piece of hardware which has a socket for an
>IBM keyboard in one end and a MIDI OUT in the other, which you can plug
>into your ST's MIDI IN port, and with the aid of software, use the
>keyboard. I don't remember anything else about it though..
>
>|S. Alan Ezust                                |  depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca|
The hardware is called KX (I believe) sold by Diverse Data Products
(800)662-8662. I do not own the thing but I have talked to DDP about
the product.

Bill Oswald
aloft!wao