[comp.sys.atari.st] Question about Super-Breakout

7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca (07/25/90)

I just got a copy of Super Breakout (version 1.1a) from Terminator
and it looks good! My only complaint is that the ball looks 'fuzzy',
ie. its movement is a tad jerky. Does anyone know if there is a
way of fixing this problem? The reason I ask is that the game Bolo
comes with a fix program (something to do with the differences
between European monitors and North American ones) that removes
the jerking motion of the pieces.
Thanx to anyone who can help.

Adele

         Adele Fraser          |   Bitnet: 7103_3654@uwovax.bitnet
      Dept of Mathematics      |   Internet: 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca
 University of Western Ontario |
    London, Ontario, Canada    |   Phone:    (Math Dept)
           N6A 5B7             |          519-661-3638 x 6539

markov@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Mark Overmars) (07/27/90)

In <6526.26acbc7d@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>I just got a copy of Super Breakout (version 1.1a) from Terminator
>and it looks good! My only complaint is that the ball looks 'fuzzy',
>ie. its movement is a tad jerky. Does anyone know if there is a
>way of fixing this problem? The reason I ask is that the game Bolo
>comes with a fix program (something to do with the differences
>between European monitors and North American ones) that removes
>the jerking motion of the pieces.
>Thanx to anyone who can help.

As I am the person who wrote this game I think I should reply to this, even
though I don't have a solution. The problem you describe is not completely
clear to me. Does this always happen or only when there are many moving
objects on the screen? In the second case the reason is simply that the
program cannot keep up with all the motion and hence the balls move less
smoothly. If it always occurs it might indeed be a monitor issue, I don't have
a fix for that. The reason why the program is not so fast is that it was
written in MODULA-2 and it does a lot (60 types of stones, many balls,
monsters, bombs, bonusses, multiple bats, etc.). Any comments are welcome.

Mark Overmars