[comp.sys.atari.st] 3.0mb ST bin

tj@castle.ed.ac.uk (T Jones) (07/19/90)

	A recent posting (sorry, no reference for it) said it was
possible to access the wasted 0.5mb ban of RAM on a 2.5mb ST.
Could someone please post more details (or email me) on how to do
this.   How complex are the hardware mods needed, and what
special components are required.

	On a related note, could some kind soul please post the
hardware mods to an SM 124/5 monitor needed to make OVERSCAN
work.

	ttfn,
		Tomsk
	"Now, you dont  expect the university to let me
		express their opinions, do you?"
	(Tom Jones, Meteorology Dept, Edinburgh University, SCOTLAND)
	(email JANET:tomsk@uk.ac.edinburgh
	       WORLD:tomsk@edinburgh.ac.uk)

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (07/20/90)

In article <5223@castle.ed.ac.uk>, tj@castle.ed.ac.uk (T Jones) writes:

|>	A recent posting (sorry, no reference for it) said it was
|>possible to access the wasted 0.5mb ban of RAM on a 2.5mb ST.
|>Could someone please post more details (or email me) on how to do
|>this.   How complex are the hardware mods needed, and what
|>special components are required.
|>
|>	On a related note, could some kind soul please post the
|>hardware mods to an SM 124/5 monitor needed to make OVERSCAN
|>work.

I was the one posting about the 3.0 Mb modification; however, having read the
article that explaining it all (it's from a German magazine, I think it's
called 'ST Magazin' or something) I decided I would let someone more experienced
should do the work for me.
Looking in my computer I see 2 SIMMs, and a *LOT* of wire.

The overscan modification is a similar story; it's tricky, and it's all in GERMA
trying to describe any of these in english, but I do not think
*ANYONE* should try to change their ST based on MY description of a german artic
about Math can almost be as satisfying as the real thing,
	 and not half so risky."
				cf. 'The Bluffer's Guide to Bluffing'

jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/23/90)

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:

>In article <5223@castle.ed.ac.uk>, tj@castle.ed.ac.uk (T Jones) writes:
[..]
>I was the one posting about the 3.0 Mb modification; however, having read the
>article that explaining it all (it's from a German magazine, I think it's
>called 'ST Magazin' or something) I decided I would let someone more experienced
>should do the work for me.
>Looking in my computer I see 2 SIMMs, and a *LOT* of wire.

I, for one, doubt that you are *at all* able to make the ST use 3.0 MB. There
are two banks of memory, each wth either 0.5 MB or 2.0MB. That makes

	0.5 MB		1x0.5
	1.0 MB		2x0.5
	2.0 MB		1x2.0
	2.5 MB		1x0.5 + 1x2.0		Not available from Atari ...
	4.0 MB		2x2.0

The above calculation is based on the fact that the MMU knows about
two banks, NO MORE. the nice thing ( ;-) ) is that the MMU autodetects.. .

So, no unused 0.5 MB in a 2.5MB installation, no 3.0 MB installation
possible.

Disclaimer
	This may not be true for STEs, I don't know.. .
	Do correct me if I'm wrong.

*IF* I'm wrong, please give a reference to the relevant article.. .
(I have seen ads for 5.0MB extensions, where the last 1 MB was
used for RAM disk, so perhaps....)

	Jens
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (07/23/90)

jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:

>*IF* I'm wrong, please give a reference to the relevant article.. .
>(I have seen ads for 5.0MB extensions, where the last 1 MB was
>used for RAM disk, so perhaps....)

I would be interested in this possibility,
does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where 5.0MB extensions
are available? (in Europe)

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/25/90)

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) writes:

>jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:

>>*IF* I'm wrong, please give a reference to the relevant article.. .
>>(I have seen ads for 5.0MB extensions, where the last 1 MB was
>>used for RAM disk, so perhaps....)

>I would be interested in this possibility,
>does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where 5.0MB extensions
>are available? (in Europe)

Here goes:

Text (my translation..) from ad

	"The circuits for 2.5 and 4 MB are ysable on any ST. 520+ (+)
	 and 1040 types can be expanded to 3, 4.5 and 5 MB, of that
	 2.5 or 4 MB is main storage (i.e. TOS memory), and the rest is
	 used as RAM disk. Basically, the MMU and shifter must be socketed,
	 otherwise the computer must be converted by us. All Mega 1s must be
	 handled by us. Please state computer type and year of manufacture
	 when ordering"

(+)	The 520+ is a european breed (?) with a full megabyte
	installed from Atari.

Price list
	empty PCB, 2.5 & 4 MB	259 DM
	empty PCB, 3 4.5 & 5 MB 348 DM
	RAM to 2.5 MB		744DM
	RAM to 4.0 MB		1396DM
	RAM to 3.0 MB		823 DM
	RAM to 4.5 MB		1478 DM
	RAM to 5.0 MB		1478 MB

(I guess that the `RAM to' prices are including PCB.. The price difference
seems to indicate that).

Address
	Gengtec
	TeichStrasse 20
	D-4020 Mettmann

	Tel: 02104/22936

Source for all this
	ST Magazin 6/Juni 90  page 109

Disclaimer : I know nooothing (see the relevant episode of Faulty Towers
	     for pronounciation..).

	Jens

Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (07/27/90)

Please note that I am not the author of the following article. The author
had some problems posting, so I did it for him. Replies should be made to:

jeroen@phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder)

Due to manifold requests (since my original posting was badly formatted - I
usually post things from xrn, which apparently has a weird editor) this article
is reposted in an edited version. This article is a general introduction,
technical details of the matter are now posted to the ..tech newsgroup, along
with the schematics.

In article <1990Jul23.135351.4486@diku.dk>, jensting@rimfaxe.diku.dk
(Jens Tingleff) writes:

|>I, for one, doubt that you are *at all* able to make the ST use 3.0 MB. There
|>are two banks of memory, each wth either 0.5 MB or 2.0MB. That makes
|>
|>	0.5 MB		1x0.5
|>	1.0 MB		2x0.5
|>	2.0 MB		1x2.0
|>	2.5 MB		1x0.5 + 1x2.0		Not available from Atari ...
|>	4.0 MB		2x2.0
|>
|>The above calculation is based on the fact that the MMU knows about
|>two banks, NO MORE. the nice thing ( ;-) ) is that the MMU autodetects.. .
|>
|>So, no unused 0.5 MB in a 2.5MB installation, no 3.0 MB installation
|>possible.
|>
|>*IF* I'm wrong, please give a reference to the relevant article.. .
|>(I have seen ads for 5.0MB extensions, where the last 1 MB was
|>used for RAM disk, so perhaps....)
|>
|>	Jens

Yes - you *ARE* wrong. First: all those people who used to have 2 banks of
0.5 Mb, and who upgraded to 2.5 Mb have 'switched off' one of the 0.5 banks
in order to be able to use this bank for 1 Mbit chips, thus creating a 2.0
Mb bank. Totally expanding a 1 Mb ST with 2 Mb gives you a 2.5 Mb ST, and
one unused 0.5 Mb bank. Article: "Aus zweieinhalb mach drei", by K.-D.
Litteck, in ST Computer 3/1990 (published by Heim Fachverlag in Germany).
(plus: a correction to the schematic in this article in the same magazine,
issue 4/1990).

Now using the inactive 0.5 Mb thus resulting in a total of 3.0 Mb is possible
too; it really is a hack to get around the 2 bank limit. I will describe
how this is done in the article series in the ...tech newsgroup.

Enjoy!

		Jeroen.