[comp.sys.atari.st] Comments in the STart MIDI-tasking article

ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) (07/24/90)

In the August 1990 STart magazine, "Multitasking on the ST", Atari's
Frank Foster is quoted as saying: "The makers of the ST don't think that
multitasking could be properly done on a Motorola 68000-based machine.
Any such system is a kludge." [Paraphrase, don't sue me].

Seeing this information, everyone here quit working and locked the doors.
No need to continue work on a kludge that will never work anyway, eh? :-) Do
they think this is a really good way to encourage third party developers?

Sorry, I get a little excited sometimes.  You can continue reading the News.

Ric Yeates
Ric Yeates                                             Microware Systems Corp.
  "I found these opinions on the floor, so I don't think they belong
                                                              to Microware."
                         1. Grease Generously
                         2. Wax Philosophically

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (07/24/90)

In article <2221@mcrware.UUCP> ric@mcrware.UUCP (Ric Yeates) writes:
>In the August 1990 STart magazine, "Multitasking on the ST", Atari's
>Frank Foster is quoted as saying: "The makers of the ST don't think that
>multitasking could be properly done on a Motorola 68000-based machine.
>Any such system is a kludge." [Paraphrase, don't sue me].
>
>Seeing this information, everyone here quit working and locked the doors.
>No need to continue work on a kludge that will never work anyway, eh? :-) Do
>they think this is a really good way to encourage third party developers?

At least they didn't flame you by name; they specifically slammed Beckmeyer:

    Questioned about Atari's policy in view of an existing multitasking
    system such as Beckmeyer's Micro RTX/MT C-shell, Foster dismissed it
    as one that "[works] but not very well."

Yay, applause from the galley!  Death to the filthy/nasty 3rd-party Huns!

I've just figured out what Atari's problem is: all the other players in
their market are bowling; Atari is playing golf.  They double-bogeyed
with the original ST, but happily have been playing under par ever since...
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

erkamp@arcsun.arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (07/27/90)

Here are a couple of excerpts from Z*NET Online about MIDITASKING

 ATARI TO FINALIZE MIDITASKING AT NAMM

 This weekend is the Summer NATIONAL MUSIC MERCHANDISERS SHOW (NAMM),
 held in Chicago, Illinois.  Atari will be there with a major presence
 once again.  The Atari ST with its MIDI ports, and particularly with the
 STACY portable, has stayed a favorite machine for many musicians.  On
 hand for this show will be Frank Foster (back from touring with
 FLEETWOOD MAC in support of Atari), Bill Crouch, Bob Brodie, MIDI reps
 Mike Groh and John Morales, and others.  Another MIDI developer meeting
 is scheduled, and the final input is to be received on the ATARI
 MIDITASKING system, under development by INTELLIGENT MUSIC of New York.
 The project is virtually completed and is hoped to be ready for
 commercial release this summer.  Atari representatives have been careful
 to say that although the MIDITASKING system is indeed a multi-tasking
 operating system for all Atari ST computers, it is optimized and
 intended for use with MIDI applications.  Although other programs are
 likely to work properly under the MIDITASKING system, this is to be seen
 as a fortuitous occurrence rather than by design.  MIDITASKING will be
 sold through Atari Corp for a mere $12.95.

 MIDITASKING READY; RELEASE DELAYED

 The unexpected low turnout at the recent Summer National Association of
 Music Merchandisers caused the cancellation of Atari's MIDI developers
 meeting.  It was to have been the last developer meeting prior to taking
 Atari's MIDI-Tasking module to the marketplace.  Atari has not announced
 a revised schedule for release of the system that will enable multiple
 MIDI (and perhaps other) applications to run simultaneously on any ST
 computer.

Bob Erkamp