[comp.sys.atari.st] ARRGH! I'm bugged! Help!

brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) (07/28/90)

I have an Atari 1040STf (one of the older ones-no rf modulator) and it has
had a problem for some time.  About once a month or so, when I turned on the
computer, it would come up with a sound as if you were holding down a key.
(buuzzzzzzzzzzzzz)  No mouse movement would be possible and rebooting often
did not make it go away.  Once, I had to shut it off, unplug it, AND unplug
the mouse and joystick  (just shutting it off and unplugging did NOT work)
to make it go away.  Now, I have just added an ICD hard drive adapter and a
20 mb drive.  I have had a new version of the bug that buzzes in a pattern;
(buuuzzz  buuuzzz  buuzzzzz  buuzzz) about 8 times this evening!  Changing
resolutions seems to trigger it.  Incidentially, it has not happened
in the last two hours--but if it comes back I want to be ready to kill it!
Does anyone know of this bug?  All help will be greatly appreciated!

PS: the battery-backed clock on the ICD board seems to be running slow
(loses 5-10 min a day).  Is there an adjust for this?

Thanks,
Brian Daniels

"posess yourself--or somebody else will
                      review yourself--you might find you're someone else"
                                 the FIXX

                          Brian Daniels
                          (brian@wolves)

In article <1990Jul28.042552.14503@wolves.uucp> brian@wolves.uucp (Brian Daniels) writes:
>I have an Atari 1040STf (one of the older ones-no rf modulator) and it has
>had a problem for some time.  About once a month or so, when I turned on the
>computer, it would come up with a sound as if you were holding down a key.
>(buuzzzzzzzzzzzzz)  No mouse movement would be possible and rebooting often
>did not make it go away.  Once, I had to shut it off, unplug it, AND unplug
>the mouse and joystick  (just shutting it off and unplugging did NOT work)

This sounds like something flaky in your keyboard processor. I had this
happen to me once with my Mega, and it took me quite a few tries before I
figured out I had to remove the batteries to get the keyboard to reset. (The
downside to intelligent components... Sometimes they get confused!)

>to make it go away.  Now, I have just added an ICD hard drive adapter and a
>20 mb drive.  I have had a new version of the bug that buzzes in a pattern;
>(buuuzzz  buuuzzz  buuzzzzz  buuzzz) about 8 times this evening!  Changing
>resolutions seems to trigger it.  Incidentially, it has not happened
>in the last two hours--but if it comes back I want to be ready to kill it!
>Does anyone know of this bug?  All help will be greatly appreciated!

Maybe the clock-setting software for the ICD is causing the breaks in the
buzzing.... What programs are in your AUTO folder?

Anyway... your keyboard processor is probably wearing out or overheating.

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip