[comp.sys.atari.st] MX2 multi-rtasking shell

clive@aldetec.oz (Clive Salvidge) (07/25/90)

Has anyone out there heard of a multi-tasking shell for the
st called 'MX2' i think..   If so, is it pd? and where can
it be got from??

Thanks
..Clive

Clive Salvidge       	ACSnet   :  clive@aldetec.oz
			Internet :  clive@aldetec.oz.au
Aldetec Pty Ltd.        Voice    :  +61-9-4451888   0900 - 1700 WST

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (D.M. Johnson) (07/30/90)

In article <209@aldetec.oz> clive@aldetec.oz (Clive Salvidge) writes:
>Has anyone out there heard of a multi-tasking shell for the
>st called 'MX2' i think..   If so, is it pd? and where can
>it be got from??
>
>Thanks
>..Clive

>Clive Salvidge         ACSnet   :  clive@aldetec.oz
>                       Internet :  clive@aldetec.oz.au
>Aldetec Pty Ltd.        Voice    :  +61-9-4451888   0900 - 1700 WST

Yes I have heard of this, I think it is an add-on to Gulam, I saw it advertised
in a pd catalogue here in the UK.

Dave

In article <1990Jul30.112007.741@newcastle.ac.uk> D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (D.M. Johnson) writes:
>In article <209@aldetec.oz> clive@aldetec.oz (Clive Salvidge) writes:
>>Has anyone out there heard of a multi-tasking shell for the
>>st called 'MX2' i think..   If so, is it pd? and where can
>>it be got from??

>Yes I have heard of this, I think it is an add-on to Gulam, I saw it advertised
>in a pd catalogue here in the UK.
>
>Dave

MX2 is a multitasking kernel written by Fred G. Brooks. It's PD, comes
complete with source code in Modula-2. You can use it with Gulam or just
about any other command shell. It also comes with a desk accessory that
it uses to allow multitasking GEM programs.

It works pretty well, but I didn't like it because it didn't duplicate
the current environment in spawned processes, and I didn't have a Modula-2
system to fix it with. (Nor do I know any Modula-2, so trying to fix it
would have been like searching for a needle in a haystack. I certainly
didn't enjoy trying to read the sources...)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip