[comp.sys.atari.st] Time for a New Computer: Should it be an Atari ST?

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) (07/20/90)

I'm finally about ready to give up on my Tandy Color Computer 3.  While
it's a fine machine, for an 8 bit machine, it seems that both Tandy and 3rd
party support for it are dwindling.  So, it's time for a new computer.

Several of my friends have recomended the Atari ST line as an "Upgrade"
path from the CoCo 3.  The reasons:

	High Quality Graphics
	Mouse driven, graphic interface
	Ease of Use
	Cost effective
	Relative ease of finding software
	Good sound
	Good 'C' compilers available
	Lot's of PD code
	Can read those messy-DOS disks
	Runs OS-9 (My prefered OS)

It almost sounds like the CoCo 4 Tandy never came out with.  So here are my
questions about the Atari ST line:

1.	Cost - What do the 1040 and 520 ST systems cost?  What is the used
market like?  Are there 3rd party disk drives, hard disks and etc for it?

2.	Expandability - Does the ST have "standard" printer, RS-232 ports
and other places to connect devices?

3.	Monitor - Is the Atari monitors the only games in town?  Should I
go color or mono?

4.	Software - I see LOTS of games for the ST in my local store, but
few word wackers and other "user" programs. Do they exist, but just not
retail?

5.	OS-9 for the ST - What is the cost? Is there a windowing version of
OS-9 for the ST? or it is strictly a "generic" implimentation?

6.	Anything you might want to tell me as a potential ST owner,
particulary if you used to be a Color Computer Owner.

7.	What is the best ST magazine to get and read to become familair
with the ST universe?

Since all this is so basic, it can be emailed to me if you don't want to
take up bandwidth in comp.sys.atari.st.  With luck, I might get a new
computer soon, but I want to be sure that what I might buy really is a good
system that won't be deserted in a few years such as my CoCo has been.
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Stephens City, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) TOY-DUDE

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul20.162017.21823@chinet.chi.il.us>,
megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
> Several of my friends have recomended the Atari ST line as an "Upgrade"
> path from the CoCo 3.  The reasons:
>
> 	High Quality Graphics
Poorer than VGA-PCs & amiga
> 	Mouse driven, graphic interface
Low quality one
> 	Ease of Use
For a computer hobbyist, yes
> 	Cost effective
> 	Relative ease of finding software
not anymore
> 	Good sound
Yuck! worse sound around.
> 	Good 'C' compilers available
Try to find an ANSI C or C++ compiler...
> 	Lot's of PD code
yes, if you read the news.
> 	Can read those messy-DOS disks
> 	Runs OS-9 (My prefered OS)
price/availability? + uncompatible disk format.

> It almost sounds like the CoCo 4 Tandy never came out with.  So here are my
> questions about the Atari ST line:

General problem: The atari ST is an endangered specie: It didn't sell enough
to get the critical mass to interest software companies. With no successor
(apart a vapourware TT which is already obsolete before being out), it will
be in the same situation as the CoCo3 in one year.

It is still a valid choice for some precise uses, for instance:

- as a multi-windowing terminal emulator, due to its superb mono screen, cheap
  price, and the "term" (uw-derived) terminal emulator. Our organisation,
  INRIA, did not buy any ascii terminal since 2 years, only STs.
  Drawback: horrible keyboard.

- as a game machine, for an european user (my use). In france it is cheap, so
  games are cheap.
  Drawback: Now, more and more of the better "adult" (strategic, simulations)
  games are developed on PCs, STs having all the flashpan kid arcade games.
  Exceptions: FTL and Bullfrog.

- Some specialized programs, such as calamus, are perhaps worth byuing an ST
  for. But would you invest one year of your work on an exotic program,
  incompatible with the rest of the world? Personaly I used my ST to do all
  the drawings of my thesis with easy-draw, but it was a pain to translate
  them to postscript for latex inclusion...

- for the unix user, you have emacs, Latex, some shells, tar, etc...
  before leaving work, I just do a "tar cf /dev/floppy ." on my unix box, take
  the disk home, and continue to edit my sork under microemacs on my ST at home

In my opinion, get a taiwanese 386 PC VGA compatible. That's the route I will
follow as soon as they will cost less than the price I payed my first ST,
about $1500 (now you have a 286 for this price). I had STs for the past three
years, enjoyed them, but their time is counted... The amiga may survive since
it has a credible successor with the A3000, but it is much more expensive than
PC-compatibles for non professional graphic uses.

Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
colas@avahi.inria.fr            Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66
INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, 2004, rte des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (07/24/90)

In article <8488@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>In article <1990Jul20.162017.21823@chinet.chi.il.us>,
>megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:

[ article deleted ]

Please, can we not have these "I dumped my ST and bought an X
because..." articles? They don't contribute anything useful to the
group, and cause needless flamewars. Different people have different
needs in a computer, and you needn't justify your decision in front of
the entire planet.

By the way, Colas, if you want ANSI C you could try Turbo C or gcc.

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (07/24/90)

[In article <8488@mirsa.inria.fr>,
     colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes ... ]

> In article <1990Jul20.162017.21823@chinet.chi.il.us>,
> megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>> Several of my friends have recomended the Atari ST line as an "Upgrade"
>> path from the CoCo 3.  The reasons:

<omitted>

> General problem: The atari ST is an endangered specie: It didn't sell enough
> to get the critical mass to interest software companies. With no successor
> (apart a vapourware TT which is already obsolete before being out), it will
> be in the same situation as the CoCo3 in one year.

That is a myth that needs deflating. I don't buy that argument
against *any* currently available 16-bit computer (except perhaps the
Apple IIGS, which has been abandoned by its mother). The standard
business applications -- word processing, spreadsheets, database
management, etc. -- are well covered. (How many word processors do
you need, anyway?)

What amazes me is the oddball applications that keep turning up.
Restaurant ordering systems, point-of-sale terminals (cash
registers), industrial embroidery machine controllers, telephone
directory assistance consoles ... I keep hearing about STs in the
oddest places.

Why? Because any brickhead like myself can program them, and good
programmers can really make them sit up and put on a show.  The ST is
not a hostile environment.

There is a distribution problem. It is unreasonably hard to find the
commercial software that is available. But that's doesn't mean it
doesn't exist.

> - Some specialized programs, such as calamus, are perhaps worth byuing an ST
>   for. But would you invest one year of your work on an exotic program,
>   incompatible with the rest of the world? Personaly I used my ST to do all
>   the drawings of my thesis with easy-draw, but it was a pain to translate
>   them to postscript for latex inclusion...

I just converted a GEM metafile that had been created by Easy-Draw to
PostScript this afternoon using Pagestream.

> In my opinion, get a taiwanese 386 PC VGA compatible. That's the route I will
> follow as soon as they will cost less than the price I payed my first ST,
> about $1500 (now you have a 286 for this price).

The original poster likes OS-9 and Motorola assembly language. PC
clones have their places, but I sure wouldn't inflict them on someone
with those interests. Crazy memory models, incompatible video modes,
overpriced software, severe RAM limitations ... who needs it? If your
boss makes you buy one, that's one thing, but for a hobby, why do it
to yourself?

The only excuse for a '386 box that I can think of is Unix, and Unix
for a '386 costs as much as my ST.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.214712.17020@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> Please, can we not have these "I dumped my ST and bought an X

Sorry if I sounded this way. I exposed also the reasons that made our
organization still buy STs, and the reasons why I use mine.

My point was: I think the ST could have been a general purpose computer,
"the apple II of the late 80s", but now it is well adapted for some uses, but
not for all.

I offer to "repair" my posting by summarizing and posting a list of relevant
uses for a ST. Mail me your experiences, I will post them.

colas. <colas@avahi.inria.fr>

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul23.214712.17020@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>In article <8488@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul20.162017.21823@chinet.chi.il.us>,
>>megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>
>[ article deleted ]
>
>Please, can we not have these "I dumped my ST and bought an X
>because..." articles? They don't contribute anything useful to the
>group, and cause needless flamewars. Different people have different
>needs in a computer, and you needn't justify your decision in front of
>the entire planet.

I'm sick and tired of you trying to crown yourself net.moderator for
this group.  Who are you to judge what is useful and what is not?
If Colas' article was useless, then so is your chastizing him for
posting it (you could've done that by email, eh?)

I didn't see anything inciteful about the post.  It was full of rather
accurate information, even if it wasn't to the liking of ST
cheerleaders like yourself.

>By the way, Colas, if you want ANSI C you could try Turbo C or gcc.

I was under the impression that Turbo C was only available in Europe
and that GCC is PD (no professional support)??

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

In article <1990Jul24.134702.11337@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>I'm sick and tired of you trying to crown yourself net.moderator for
>this group.

I haven't appointed myself anything. I'm just trying to use a little
common sense. Too bad you don't think before you post. Isn't it about
time for you to start telling us how badly Atari is doing in the stock
market?

>>By the way, Colas, if you want ANSI C you could try Turbo C or gcc.
>
>I was under the impression that Turbo C was only available in Europe
>and that GCC is PD (no professional support)??

Colas is from France. Last time I checked, France was in Europe. In
addition, GCC is "free" but you may purchase support from it from any
of a number of individuals and corporations. I use it without support
every day and haven't had any trouble whatsoever.

>Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!

Too bad you don't take your own advice, Chris. The posting of mine
that you flamed had information in it; did your flame have any?

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (07/24/90)

>> General problem: The atari ST is an endangered specie: It didn't sell enough
>> to get the critical mass to interest software companies. With no successor
>> (apart a vapourware TT which is already obsolete before being out), it will
>> be in the same situation as the CoCo3 in one year.

THe atari ST is definately NOT an endangered specie in Europe, it did sell
very well here and much software is available. Maybe this is not
very well distributed in the US, but good software is developped for it,
which could always be ordered in Europe. Especially in Germany and Holland.
(for example Turbo C, that was developped by Heimsoeth in Germany).

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (07/24/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>I was under the impression that Turbo C was only available in Europe
>and that GCC is PD (no professional support)??

Turbo C is that good and fast that it is worthwile to order it in Europe
even if you're in the US.
Have you ever worked with gcc? It may be PD, but it is very good and
has a nice, quit UNIX like library that makes it easy to compile a lot
of UNIX sources without many modifications.
gcc is used on many workstations (SUN,CONVEX minisuper,HP etc.) instead
of the original compilers because it is of such high quality.

Don't underestimate the value of good PD software being available for
a computer.

--

pietrzak@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.134702.11337@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>I'm sick and tired of you trying to crown yourself net.moderator for
>this group.  Who are you to judge what is useful and what is not?
>If Colas' article was useless, then so is your chastizing him for
>posting it (you could've done that by email, eh?)
>
>I didn't see anything inciteful about the post.  It was full of rather
>accurate information, even if it wasn't to the liking of ST
>cheerleaders like yourself.

   I'm sick and tired of reading the incessant heckling of the ST in
your posts, Chris.  After your continual slamming of the atari, you
decide to post a message declaiming those who provide the inverse
service to this newsgroup.  You've essentially crowned yourself head.flamer
for c.s.a.s..  (And why should anyone use email, with your sterling
examples to guide them?)

>I was under the impression that Turbo C was only available in Europe
>and that GCC is PD (no professional support)??

   I wouldn't know about Turbo C, but GCC for the Atari ST is officially
sanctioned by the Free Software Foundation, which is as much as it gets
for any machine on which it runs.  The faculty at CWRU seem to consider this
enough, as GCC is the compiler used on the majority of the workstations I've
seen (or used) at the school.

>Cheers,
>
>Chris

J P

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.134702.11337@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes...
>In article <1990Jul23.214712.17020@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>>In article <8488@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>>>In article <1990Jul20.162017.21823@chinet.chi.il.us>,
>>>megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>>
>>By the way, Colas, if you want ANSI C you could try Turbo C or gcc.

Prospero C is ANSI compatible. The documentation is in English.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/25/90)

Wow... Atari Cheerleaders to the rescue...!

Convince this poor slob to spend his money on the Atari Myth...

Gloss over the fact that there are fewer than 50 active Atari dealers
in the entire U.S.of A...  so he can forget local support unless he's
lucky enough to live near one of the surviving Atari dealers..

Smokescreen the fact that most of the large software companies have abandoned
the Atari market as not being worth their effort any longer, due to the games
Atari Corp has played with them...

Vaporize him with mythical tales of the wonderful products Atari is going
to bring out *someday* ...   deflect him from buying truly useful computer
systems *TODAY* with lots of vaportales of Atari products to come...

Neglect to tell him that he better learn German as a second language if he
buys into the Atari market, since there's little support for Atari here in
the US...

Forget to mention that Atari Corp has NO credibility left in the "big picture
of the computer marketplace, whether "high powered" computing or "game
machine" entertainment value...

Yeah...  "ATARI RAH RAH"...  that's the spirit...!

BobR

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (07/25/90)

From article <1990Jul24.151655.29463@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, by gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl):
> In article <1990Jul24.134702.11337@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
>>I'm sick and tired of you trying to crown yourself net.moderator for
>>this group.
>
> I haven't appointed myself anything. I'm just trying to use a little
> common sense. Too bad you don't think before you post. Isn't it about
> time for you to start telling us how badly Atari is doing in the stock
> market?

(Various diatribes and followup messages ignored.)

Hey Greg, Hey Chris,

Whatever you do, don't let anything anyone here says about you stop you
from posting to this newsgroup.  I for one find your battles vastly
entertaining.

There again, I don't pay for the net traffic to our site.

Seriously, folks, let's not get too worked up about this.  There's room
for both positive and negative sentiments about the ST, Atari, the
Tramiels (*especially* the Tramiels) etc.  I know I swing from one side
to the other according to how the machines I use are behaving today and
how frustrating my last encounter with Atari UK was.

What worries me more is that I got only one offsite reply to a previous
query about problems with our Mega/HD/Laser systems.  (Thanks, Robin of
Galadriel.)  Either there are fewer knowledgeable people around than I
thought, or (more likely) our problems are just too weird.  Maybe it's
about time to take Ken Badertscher's advice of last year, spread out the
chicken blood and dance round the machine.  Come to think of it, the
problem he suggested that as an answer to (a variant of the 'phantom
typist') hasn't gone away yet either.

I'd better stop before I get too firmly into Chris Mauritz mode.  :-)

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma   BITNET: grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@UKACRL

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (07/25/90)

I guess that everybody not interested by this has already killed
this subject, so let's go :)

In article <A90248440@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve
Yelvington) writes:
> That is a myth that needs deflating. I don't buy that argument
> against *any* currently available 16-bit computer (except perhaps the
> Apple IIGS, which has been abandoned by its mother).

I made the same bet against the apple IIGS. I had an apple II and seen the
upgrade to the IIGS as a dead end. Want to bet with me on the ST fate?

> The standard
> business applications -- word processing, spreadsheets, database
> management, etc. -- are well covered. (How many word processors do
> you need, anyway?)

Only a good one.
Now for the question: cite one good word processing, spreadsheets, database
for the ST.
LDW power is only lotus-1 compatible, superbase pro is FULL of bugs and even
clumsier to use than appleworks on my apple II, perhaps only wordperfect and
calamus are true professional programs -- but where is word?

> What amazes me is the oddball applications that keep turning up.
> Restaurant ordering systems, point-of-sale terminals (cash
> registers), industrial embroidery machine controllers, telephone
> directory assistance consoles ... I keep hearing about STs in the
> oddest places.

Just because any hacker can whip up in one week some program that will bomb
out just because the disk is write-protected (I've seem this many times) is not
really meaningful.

> Why? Because any brickhead like myself can program them, and good
> programmers can really make them sit up and put on a show.  The ST is
> not a hostile environment.

Agreed, the ST is a good hobbyist computer, that's why I bought it, but it IS
hostile to the end user. A tolerable situation for a new computer, it can
be fatal to it if it goes on any longuer than 3 years.

> I just converted a GEM metafile that had been created by Easy-Draw to
> PostScript this afternoon using Pagestream.

My thesis was in French. You do you type accents in Easy-Draw? by hacking...
And at the time, the ps output of publishing partner was really horrible.

> > In my opinion, get a taiwanese 386 PC VGA compatible.
> The original poster likes OS-9 and Motorola assembly language. PC
> clones have their places, but I sure wouldn't inflict them on someone
> with those interests. Crazy memory models, incompatible video modes,
> overpriced software, severe RAM limitations ... who needs it?

I said a 386 !!! -- not a 286!
Problem: this was true when I bought my first ST. Just because your
ST stayed the same for 3 years doesn't mean the other computers didn't evolve!
Look at a 386, this is now a real processor. I agree the 286 was a pile of
shit. Moreover, the competitions for PC peripherals makes them often cheaper
than STs.

> If your
> boss makes you buy one, that's one thing, but for a hobby, why do it
> to yourself?

My main use... games!
Good strategic games or simulations are now made first on PCs...
Good arcade games are made for consoles and perhaps the amiga.
The ST niche is dying for the game enthusiast

As soon as FTL and Bullfrog, the last good quality companies that develop
first on ST/Amiga before PCs will develop first for PCs, my ST will have the
same fate as my good old appleII, yet you see a lot of odball applications
on the appleII still today :)

In article <13836@shlump.nac.dec.com>, gilliam@lowlif.dec.com writes:
> >>By the way, Colas, if you want ANSI C you could try Turbo C or gcc.

I cannot read german for turbo C, I don't have a hard disk for gcc
(that I use daily I at work, the best unix compiler!)

> Prospero C is ANSI compatible. The documentation is in English.

Now, that's some actual information!

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (07/26/90)

In article <32058@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Wow... Atari Cheerleaders to the rescue...!
>
>Convince this poor slob to spend his money on the Atari Myth...
>
>Gloss over the fact that there are fewer than 50 active Atari dealers
>in the entire U.S.of A...  so he can forget local support unless he's
>lucky enough to live near one of the surviving Atari dealers..

Ok, I'm not sure I like being called an Atari cheerleader, but I still think
the Atari ST is a decent choice for a home computer.  And that's based very
firmly on what can be bought today.  NO allowances for what's promised.  But
that's not the main issue here.

I live in the Chicago area.  We have, as Atari dealers, Computer Cellar, two
branches of Software Plus, a couple of 'sorta' atari dealers (Mars Merchandising
and Computer Grove) and one more I never remember the name of.  A game store,
'Gamers Paradise' can special order Atari Stuff.  At least 4 other operations-
Apple Annie (I kid you not), Kolputer Systems, F&D and(please forgive me if
you're reading this, Gerry--I forget the name of your business) handle Atari
software and accessories.  And I am absolutely certain this list isn't
complete.  Makes me wonder if Atari dealers are all THAT scarce.

Now it happens that I know megabyte (the fella who asked the original question).
He lives in the DC area.  Anyone read 'Current Notes'?  I don't think he'll
be hurting for local support if he picks an ST.

                                     Steve J.

pietrzak@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) (07/26/90)

In article <32058@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Wow... Atari Cheerleaders to the rescue...!
>
>Convince this poor slob to spend his money on the Atari Myth...
>
>Gloss over the fact that there are fewer than 50 active Atari dealers
>in the entire U.S.of A...  so he can forget local support unless he's
>lucky enough to live near one of the surviving Atari dealers..
>
>Smokescreen the fact that most of the large software companies have abandoned
>the Atari market as not being worth their effort any longer, due to the games
>Atari Corp has played with them...
>
>Vaporize him with mythical tales of the wonderful products Atari is going
>to bring out *someday* ...   deflect him from buying truly useful computer
>systems *TODAY* with lots of vaportales of Atari products to come...
>
>Neglect to tell him that he better learn German as a second language if he
>buys into the Atari market, since there's little support for Atari here in
>the US...
>
>Forget to mention that Atari Corp has NO credibility left in the "big picture
>of the computer marketplace, whether "high powered" computing or "game
>machine" entertainment value...
>
>Yeah...  "ATARI RAH RAH"...  that's the spirit...!
>
>BobR

Wow... Atari Naysayers on the scene!

Convince this poor inquisitive fellow that Atari computers are worthless...

Ignore the possibility that any local dealer exists near this person (I have
three near me)... Don't even mention the availabilty of mail order...

Forget the many useful programs already available for desktop publishing,
programming, word processing... Go ahead and lump all the current software
publishers in the ST market into the "minor company" category...

Brainwash him with tales of vaporous products never seeing the light of day...
Ignore the fact that his original query dealt with the 1040 ST, a solid
product for several years, being replaced now with the non-vapor STE line...

Don't admit the possibility that anyone currently living in the continental
United States has any remote interest in the ST (including yourself, writing
that dispassionate, disinterested posting)...

Absolutely DO mention that Atari the corporation has no credibility left.
However, attribute this opinion to the entire computer market, rather
than being your own feelings.

Yeah... "Atari BOO HISS"... That's the productive way to spend the day!

:)

J P

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/26/90)

In article <3149@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:

>thought, or (more likely) our problems are just too weird.  Maybe it's
>about time to take Ken Badertscher's advice of last year, spread out the

Ken who?  I can't remember the last time he posted.  Does he still work
for Atari???

>chicken blood and dance round the machine.  Come to think of it, the
>problem he suggested that as an answer to (a variant of the 'phantom
>typist') hasn't gone away yet either.

:-)

>I'd better stop before I get too firmly into Chris Mauritz mode.  :-)

Hehe, I'm touched. :-)  BTW, do you know any good mail order places
that deal in chicken blood? :-)

>Graham

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (07/26/90)

In article <3149@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
...[deleted stuff]...

>What worries me more is that I got only one offsite reply to a previous
>query about problems with our Mega/HD/Laser systems.  (Thanks, Robin of
>Galadriel.)  Either there are fewer knowledgeable people around than I
>thought, or (more likely) our problems are just too weird.

I have noticed what might be a third possibility: fewer people seem to
be posting to this newsgroup than in the past.  I've been following this
newsgroup off and on for the last 4 years (ever since I bought my 1040ST
in 1986.)  Back then, it seemed that there were never less than 50 new
messages each time I logged in (on a daily basis)...there were usually
quite a few more messages in c.s.a.s than there were in the Amiga
newsgroup (admittedly, a contributing factor being frequent posts by
Amiga users preaching the virtues of the Amiga vs. the vices of the ST :-)

These days, there is more traffic in the Amiga group (and even more
in comp.windows.x :-) than there is here.  What's more, there tend to
be more technical "discussions" (ie. question-answer posts) in other
newsgroups.

So what's my point?  I don't know.  There seems to be a relationship
between the success of a product and the number of postings in the
newsgroup relating to that product.  I do not think Atari Corp. is in
trouble (what do you expect me to say - I own lots of Atari shares ;-(
but I do think that the ST line is closing in on obsolescence.  What
is going to keep Atari alive, in the near future, are continuing sales
in Europe and Lynx/Portfolio/whatever else Atari sells here in the US.

In the long term...I don't know.  Atari had a great chance to be a big
player when it initially developed (well, Perihelion, I guess) the
Abaq/ATW/Transputer.  The machine, for which I had seen some initial
specs in 1987(?) was great for its time.  Had Atari managed to market/produce
this machine on a grand scale, I believe Atari could have broken into
the very lucrative workstation market.  Now, it is 1990 and we're waiting
for the TT to appear - a machine that is in EVERY WAY inferior to the
1987 ATW (from the specs I've seen on the net.)  Not only that, some would
argue that the TT is in some ways inferior to any ole' '386 clone with
Super VGA and large capacity hard-disk......but I don't BLAME Atari
for having chosen the path they did.  It is always easy to look at a
situation in retrospect and say "you should've done this and this and this..."
I'm sure Atari Corp. (or at least the Tramiels) had their reasons.  If
personal greed or short-term profits were among them, even that would be
excusable - after all, we live in a capitalist society.

On a different subject....
Personally, I'm a Sun Sparcstation convert.  Can't afford one (yet), but
if I had $10,000, that would be the machine to get.  No PCs provide as much
hardware _and_ software (operating system and development tools) for the
money ('486s and the Mac IIfx don't even come close)...and for a bonus,
you get a product that is supported not only by a reputable company
but by nearly every major university in the country :-)

Well, I've rambled on for long enough.  12:30 is close at hand and I don't
want to miss Dave's Top 10 :-)

Tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
| Tom Wolf      | (201) 949-2079      | no questions at all. No answer is
| Bell Labs, NJ | wolf@spanky.att.com | better than a stupid one.
+-------------------------------------+

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/26/90)

Colas Nahaboo says:
>As soon as FTL and Bullfrog, the last good quality companies that develop
>first on ST/Amiga before PCs will develop first for PCs, my ST will have the
>same fate as my good old appleII, yet you see a lot of odball applications
>on the appleII still today :)

Dunno about Bullfrog, but FTL is ready to release Dungeon Master on the
IBM PC this Fall/Xmas, with a FREE DAC converter plug to give high-quality
sound, and a Mac version of Dungeon Master is close...

So what, you say...? Lots of companies port their software to other
machines..  Well, FTL is going to be developing *NEW* products exclusively
on the Mac...

They like the ST, but what are you going to do when the "parent" company
of the hardware jerks the market around..

For me, this means I have to buy a Macintosh if I want to develop new games
with them, and contrary to what the cheerleaders around here think, I like
my ST better than anything else I've ever used... but "business is business"

BobR

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/26/90)

John Pietrzak finishes with:
>Yeah... "Atari BOO HISS"... That's the productive way to spend the day!

Nope... a productive day is writing a hintbook on my Atari ST which will
be sold to the uncounted millions of IBM and Mac computer owners..

It's not their fault they bought the wrong computer system, but Atari Corp
didn't a goddammed thing to help them know the error of their ways, but
since they're stuck with inferior systems, we Atari owners need to help
them in any way we can...

Do *YOU* feel comfortable lying to someone, and telling them that everything
in the Atari universe is just rosy...?

BobR

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (07/26/90)

>Hehe, I'm touched. :-)  BTW, do you know any good mail order places
>that deal in chicken blood? :-)

What? Mail order?

Just check out your local neighborhood Atari dealer...

[Uh oh, I shouldn't hsaid that, should I?]

>Cheers,
Another joke?  Chris, you're so funny.

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (07/26/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: Time for a New Computer: Should it be an Atari ST?

In article <1990Jul25.185054.1847@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>In article <32058@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Wow... Atari Cheerleaders to the rescue...!
>>
>>Convince this poor slob to spend his money on the Atari Myth...
>>
>>Gloss over the fact that there are fewer than 50 active Atari dealers
>>in the entire U.S.of A...  so he can forget local support unless he's
>>lucky enough to live near one of the surviving Atari dealers..
>>
>Ok, I'm not sure I like being called an Atari cheerleader, but I still think
>the Atari ST is a decent choice for a home computer.  And that's based very
>firmly on what can be bought today.  NO allowances for what's promised.  But
>that's not the main issue here.
>
>I live in the Chicago area.  We have, as Atari dealers, Computer Cellar, two
>branches of Software Plus, a couple of 'sorta' atari dealers (Mars Merchandising
>and Computer Grove) and one more I never remember the name of.  A game store,
>'Gamers Paradise' can special order Atari Stuff.  At least 4 other operations-
>Apple Annie (I kid you not), Kolputer Systems, F&D and(please forgive me if
>you're reading this, Gerry--I forget the name of your business) handle Atari
>software and accessories.  And I am absolutely certain this list isn't
>complete.  Makes me wonder if Atari dealers are all THAT scarce.

Well, I live in the largest city in these here United States. :-)  As far
as I can tell, ST software is significantly harder to find now in NYC than
it was when I bought my ST a few years ago.  I can only think of one or
two places that have any decent selection of titles.  The exception is, of
course, MIDI software.  Several large music stores have STs displayed and
have a decent amount of MIDI titles in stock.

The only seller of ST's that comes to mind other than the music stores is
J&R Music World, a big mail order outfit with a showroom near Wall St.
However, the ST's on display have been broken for ages.  I don't think I've
seen them turned on in months and I don't ever recall seeing mice attached
so that a customer could try it out.  Not that it matters, since they are
in a rather dark corner behind a brighly lit and active Amiga display.

If this is the kind of marketing we can look forward to in a major
city like New York....draw your own conclusions.

>Now it happens that I know megabyte (the fella who asked the original question).
>He lives in the DC area.  Anyone read 'Current Notes'?  I don't think he'll
>be hurting for local support if he picks an ST.

Yep, I've heard there is a very active user group base in that area and a few
stores that deal in ST wares as well.

>                                     Steve J.

Cheers,

Chris

p.s. Stock doom to come soon...as per Greg Lindahl's request. :-)

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (07/27/90)

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

[ ... reply to question on upgrade from CoCo3 to Atari ST ...]

>In my opinion, get a taiwanese 386 PC VGA compatible. That's the route I will
>follow as soon as they will cost less than the price I payed my first ST,
>about $1500 (now you have a 286 for this price). I had STs for the past three
>years, enjoyed them, but their time is counted... The amiga may survive since
>it has a credible successor with the A3000, but it is much more expensive than
>PC-compatibles for non professional graphic uses.

Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  It is now possible to get an Amiga
with as much grunt as a 386 VGA machine with windowing software.
(NO!  No wars here! If you want to dissuade me, send email!)

As an aside:  have you noticed that when people compare IBM-clones
with either the Atari ST or Amigas, they thoughtfully neglect to
mention how much it costs to get a mouse, windowing software, a fast
graphics card, an operating system that multitasks, and enough memory
to get it working?  My impression is that buying a IBM-clone with all
the add-ons and legitimate software would cost more than an
equivalent Amiga or ST.

Second aside:  I read a rather biased article in some so-called
professional magazine (it was so biased I forgot the title) about
animation on the Apple Mac.  It started with the writer wondering why
the Mac couldn't do colour animation like the Amigas, and ended with
a recommendation to buy a 24-bit colour card for the Mac II.  That
writer (again, thoughtfully) forgot to mention how much such a colour
card would cost, and concluded by saying that Mac users now had the
same opportunities as Amiga users in doing animation.

---
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

rg@sisd.kodak.com (Rich Gortatowsky) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul25.195625.18597@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pietrzak@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) writes:
>In article <32058@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Wow... Atari Cheerleaders to the rescue...!
>>
>>Convince this poor slob to spend his money on the Atari Myth...
>>

>Convince this poor inquisitive fellow that Atari computers are worthless...
>
>Ignore the possibility that any local dealer exists near this person (I have
>three near me)... Don't even mention the availabilty of mail order...

I have one, half-heartedly, mail order is rapidly decreasing. FACT: call em'

>Forget the many useful programs already available for desktop publishing,
>programming, word processing... Go ahead and lump all the current software
>publishers in the ST market into the "minor company" category...

I can think of ONE good WP (the PC? 20+), as for DTP, well, I think Ready
Set Go (whome by the way purged the ST version early in development) makes
most any I've encountered look silly.

>Brainwash him with tales of vaporous products never seeing the light of day...
>Ignore the fact that his original query dealt with the 1040 ST, a solid
>product for several years, being replaced now with the non-vapor STE line...

Solid? Depends, I dont drop computers. Vaporous products? We all know that
tale all to well thank you.

>Don't admit the possibility that anyone currently living in the continental
>United States has any remote interest in the ST (including yourself, writing
>that dispassionate, disinterested posting)...

You hit it exact... Remote. Increasingly so.

>Absolutely DO mention that Atari the corporation has no credibility left.
>However, attribute this opinion to the entire computer market, rather
>than being your own feelings.

How true. I developed on the ST from day one. My mis-fortune. And, literally
mean fortune. Least $$$ I've ever made w/ a machine, includin' the TRS-80
model 1. Bad software Maybe? No, try Deskcart! (rated as the best add on
product for the ST on multiple occasions in multiple publications). Sad
indeed.. I wont say what I made on Deskcart!, it's embaressin'. Nuff' to say
a pal wrote a text editor (2nd program he EVER wrote) on a PC clone at made
more shareware than I did commercially. (sad!). The credibility is gone
(in my mind and computerdom). Another program I wrote, PRINT-IT! never went
to market, and, in alpha/beta testing was on pirate BBS's. I'm impressed!
I made $0.00 on that one, as, after this happened it was decided that
an estimated 40-50% of ST users had it already. This is where I DROPPED
the ST (I still have my machine though, could'nt get nuff' $$$ sellin' it).
The bottom line of the whole mish-mosh is should we again buy atari?
I sure won't, The PC's are more powerful/affordable/supportable/expandable
installable/workable/useable/available/fixable/likeable.

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

In article <32102@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>John Pietrzak finishes with:
>>Yeah... "Atari BOO HISS"... That's the productive way to spend the day!
>
>Nope... a productive day is writing a hintbook on my Atari ST which will
>be sold to the uncounted millions of IBM and Mac computer owners..
>
>It's not their fault they bought the wrong computer system, but Atari Corp
>didn't a goddammed thing to help them know the error of their ways, but
>since they're stuck with inferior systems, we Atari owners need to help
>them in any way we can...
>
>Do *YOU* feel comfortable lying to someone, and telling them that everything
>in the Atari universe is just rosy...?

Lets all face it. Knowone likes to admit, "I made a bad purchase".
I show you McPeople in countless numbers that can almost be considered a
religion. Atari owners are like this. PC owners just dont care, while we're
argue'n, their using their computers for something useful. Inferior
as stated above, is a poor choice of wording, since if it does the job
for the purchaser its not inferior. As for the atari universe, I beleive
I've hit the nail on the head. Think about it, the atari ST was a SUPER!
buy in its day. The Lynx makes the Lameboy Nintendo look silly. Atari
does grandly in europe. Put two and two together. Maybe? Atari US does NOT!
want to make money. Or, maybe they want to write off losses? Or maybe it's
the parent organization of atari UK/Canada and cant let the US parent
go belly up (ie: we'll goat consumers into purchasers, or worse yet,
promise OLD atari users items never intended to get to them).
After all.... If one market does well, another should at worst do
moderately (at least in the computer area). Think about it a bit will ya'll.

--

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul24.134702.11337@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Jul23.214712.17020@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun9.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>
>I'm sick and tired of you trying to crown yourself net.moderator for
>this group.  Who are you to judge what is useful and what is not?
>If Colas' article was useless, then so is your chastizing him for
>posting it (you could've done that by email, eh?)
>
>I didn't see anything inciteful about the post.  It was full of rather
>accurate information, even if it wasn't to the liking of ST
>cheerleaders like yourself.

*MILD FLAME ON*

Of course you don't see any problem with it.  Your own posts are much more
inciteful than the one Greg repsonded to.  I agree with Greg that the post
was somewhat lopsided (written from a power-user point of view).  I,
personally, am glad to see Greg's postings.  Many of us are happy with our
STs and prefer them to various other systems for various reasons.  Greg
represents a group of people who often don't have net access, and I for one
appreciate it.

*FLAME OFF*

-Steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.235749.11235@sisd.kodak.com>, rg@sisd.kodak.com (Rich Gortatowsky) writes:

> How true. I developed on the ST from day one. My mis-fortune. ...
> model 1. Bad software Maybe? No, try Deskcart! (rated as the best add on
> product for the ST on multiple occasions in multiple publications).

Ever think that the market wasn't there?  I believe I speak for quite a large
number of people when I say that I never considered purchasing Deskcart because
it didn't meet any need that I had at the time.  That's a fact of the software
business which I've found many companies unable to accept -- people didn't want
to purchase their software because it didn't meet their needs.

> Another program I wrote, PRINT-IT! never went
> to market, and, in alpha/beta testing was on pirate BBS's. I'm impressed!

This says more about your ability to pick alpha/beta testers than anything
else.  I must be part of the 50-60% of ST users who never saw PRINT-IT!.  Of
course you have to realize that well over 60% of ST users -don't- have a modem.
I haven't come across any pirate boards in the 8 years I've had a modem (on my
Apple II+/e and then for my Atari ST).

> The bottom line of the whole mish-mosh is should we again buy atari?

In your case, no.  I'd suggest you purchase a nice 386 machine and go bother
the folks on comp.sys.ibm.pc.  Perhaps you could even write programs like your
friend and make bundles of money.  As for selling your ST -- it's a fact of
life that you'll never get as much as you'd like from the sale, regardless of
your machine.  There are plenty of Mac 512K-e owners who are in the same boat.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

erkamp@arcsun.arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (07/27/90)

 Well as usual this is getting out of hand and no real useful information is
being produced. I think the bottom line is that any hardware platform has it
niche (some may be bigger than others) and the real key is software. The most
important thing is what do YOU want to do with the machine. If that question
can't be answered save your money. Once you decided on the type(s) of software
you are looking at investigate what's available for the hardware platforms
you can afford as well as compatibility with people you wish to share datafiles
with. You should also consider the ability for expansion (memory, disk capacity,
peripherals).

 I beleive that all the machines have decent software at the introductory
(hobbyist) level. It's when you get into the serious (professional level)
products that one or two of the hardware platforms will stick out as the
possible solution. Examples MIGHT be the Atari for MIDI, the Amiga or Apple for
Mulitmedia the IBM for CAD (no flames please).

 In the future when someone requests info about the Atari hopefully we will
suggest some decent software packages for their application and then let them
decide if this is the way to go.

Bob Erkamp

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (08/01/90)

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
>a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
>anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  ...

Ooops!  Made a mistake there.  The shop is in New South Wales, not
Melbourne.  I've just had an inquiry and realised my mistake when I
reread the advertisement in the Australian Commodore and Amiga Review
(July 1990).

Serves me right for shooting off my article without checking.

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) (08/02/90)

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:

>soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>>Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
>>a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
>>anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  ...

>Ooops!  Made a mistake there.  The shop is in New South Wales, not
>Melbourne.  I've just had an inquiry and realised my mistake when I
>reread the advertisement in the Australian Commodore and Amiga Review
>(July 1990).

WHERE? Please inform where this was & what price! I would dearly love to
turbo charge my 2000.

Jhary a Conel

aka vilkas