[comp.sys.atari.st] Some ICD Utils are PD

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (08/08/90)

In article <5440127@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>You know, there's probably a real good reason that HDUTIL.PRG asks for the
>master disk! ICDUTILS are NOT in the public-domain, they are NOT shareware,
>they ARE copyrighted software that you are supposed to pay for.

The version of the utilities on terminator is in fact PD.
It's an old version, and an excellent ad for the current utilities.
The accompanying doc file says (and I quote):

[Quote]

READ.ME     8/12/87

This file documents the ICD ST Hard Drive Utilities.  These utilities are
packaged with all ST Hard Drive Systems and ST Host Adapters sold by ICD.  They
are all Copyright (C) 1987 ICD, Inc., however, you are free to use and
distribute these utilities as long as:

        1) They are not sold or included with any other product unless an
           ICD Host Adapter is part of that product.
        2) They are not modified in any way.
        3) ICD is given credit for authorship of these files.
        4) This documentation is included.

*  Any company wishing to include these utilities with their products
   must first obtain a license from ICD, Inc. or they will be in violation of
   Federal and/or International Copyright Laws.  Licensed will display the
   license registration number.

If you have any questions:

        ICD, Inc.
        1220 Rock Street
        Rockford, IL  61101

        Voice:  815-968-2228
        Modem:  815-968-2229
        FAX:    815-968-6888

[End of quote]

I suppose someone could have made that stuff up, but it sure looks
convincing.  Anyone want to call ICD and ask about it?

>I've said it here many times before, ICD has strict wording in their
>documentation that their software may not be placed on BBS nor may it
>be transferred from person to person, even if both parties are registered
>users. The only legal way to get the software is from ICD (by mail, or
>their BBS) or on GEnie. Period. Any other way is illegal. Period. So, no,
>there is no legal way anyone can mail you a newer version that works.

I think the idea is that you're allowed to put the above-mentioned
old version on any BBS you like, but the new versions are strictly
for sale only.  ICD probably did this in the spirit of a "playable demo".
The PD HDUTILS are fine, but they won't support some things the new UTILS will.

The whole point is really moot anyway, because the most recent ICD
stuff checks to see if you've got an ICD host adapter hooked up and
won't run if you don't.

>Now, what the heck are ICDUTILS doing on Terminator?

Just sitting there at the moment. :-)

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net