[comp.sys.atari.st] Publishing Partner Fonts

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET.UUCP (06/06/87)

I've heard that Publishing Partner v1.02 is out now but I haven't received
it yet.  For those who haven't looked recently, the CIS Atari16 Applications
DL now has a serif font "Columbia" (includes printer font), and the HP
LaserJet drivers (one for LaserJet II+, one for LaserJet + 1.5M RAM).  Has
anybody used the HP drivers?  I'd like to know how they work since they
have no documentation and I have no LaserJet yet.  It looks like they use
the PP printer fonts rather than the HP fonts...if so, is the print quality
adequate?
I got the new PS driver, PSPLUS.PRT, apparently designed for the LaserWriter
Plus.  In snooping through it, I cleared up some misconceptions about the
original PS.PRT and I'm now confident of the "right" way to set up PP screen
fonts for use with PS.  The key is to use the right font code when setting
up the screen font.  Following are the font codes for each font in PSPLUS.
The "*" marks fonts available in PS.PRT.  I've abbreviated the font names.
1000 Helvetica*       1001 Helv-Bld*   1002 Helv-Obl*    1003 Helv-BldObl*
1010 Courier*         1011 Cour-Bld*   1012 Cour-Obl*    1013 Cour-BldObl*
2000 AvanteGarde-Book 2001 AG-Demi     2002 AG-BookObl   2003 AG-DemiObl
2010 Bookman-Light    2011 Book-Demi   2012 Book-LiteIta 2013 Book-DemiIta
3000 ZapfChancery-MedItal
3010 Helvetica-Narrow 3011 HlvN-Bld    3012 HlvN-Obl     3013 HlvN-BldObl
4000 Palatino-Roman   4001 Pala-Bld    4002 Pala-Ita     4003 Pala-BldIta
4010 NewCenturySchlbk 4011 NCS-Bld     4012 NCS-Ita      4013 NCS-BldIta
5000 Times-Roman*     5001 Times-Bld*  5002 Times-Ita*   5003 Times-BldIta*
9000 ZapfDingbats
9020 Symbol*
Bld=BOLD, Ita=ITALIC, Obl=OBLIQUE
The June ST Applications says that SoftLogik will make several of the above
available (including printer font?).  Meantime, if you can't live without
them on your LaserWriter:
1) Run a short PS program to find the width of each character in the font
   (width in points for 12 pt font size)
2) Create a matching font with CED.PRG (its width is the value in (1) times
   50).  This shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
3) Set the font code to the appropriate value shown above.
You only need to define one screen font for each family (use the first one
on each line above).
Since Symbol isn't in the list of new releases in ST Applications, I'll
post it somewhere or the other and I'll probably have to generate a printer
font for it if the HP LaserJet requires it.
Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET

lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) (10/28/87)

 There're quite a bit of fonts available for P.Partner now. SoftLogik
puts out Helvetica, Times, and Columbia in public domain. Partner Font disk #1
from SoftLogik has Thames, Spokane, and Devoll, all of which prints very
nicely even on my Panasonic 1091i.  Font Factory puts out disk #1 (Avant
Garde, Courier, Calligraphy), disk #2 (Times, Helvetica Narrow, 16 bit), and
much more (Chancery, Bookman, CHicago, Palatino, Greek, a set of 11 Laser-
Writer Plus fonts,  etc).

  Does anyone know if the TIMES printer font is out?  Where can I get one?
BTW, version 2.0 of PPartner is scheduled for first quarter 1988. Current
version is 1.02.

.......6 days to COMDEX !!

--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) (11/05/87)

In article <786@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:

> There're quite a bit of fonts available for P.Partner now. SoftLogik
>puts out Helvetica, Times, and Columbia in public domain. Partner Font disk #1
>from SoftLogik has Thames, Spokane, and Devoll, all of which prints very
>nicely even on my Panasonic 1091i.  Font Factory puts out disk #1 (Avant
>Garde, Courier, Calligraphy), disk #2 (Times, Helvetica Narrow, 16 bit), and
>much more (Chancery, Bookman, CHicago, Palatino, Greek, a set of 11 Laser-
>Writer Plus fonts,  etc).

I just purchased Publishing Partner v 1.02 -- in it, it states that
for teh time being, only Helvetica prints out on dot matrix
printers. (For the record, I also have a 1091.) How did you get
Thames, Spokane, etc to print on the printer? I'm dying to know.
(Well, not really...but I would very much appreciate a response.)
What am I not doing correctly? (Or, conversely, what hasn't Soft Logic
told me to do?)

thanks in advance...

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!demillo
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::DEMILLO
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) (11/08/87)

> I just purchased Publishing Partner v 1.02 -- in it, it states that
> for teh time being, only Helvetica prints out on dot matrix
> printers. (For the record, I also have a 1091.) How did you get
> Thames, Spokane, etc to print on the printer? I'm dying to know.
> (Well, not really...but I would very much appreciate a response.)
> What am I not doing correctly? (Or, conversely, what hasn't Soft Logic
> told me to do?)
>                      - Rob DeMillo

 Thames, Spokane and Devoll are in Font Disk #1 from SoftLogik.  I got
it for $19 from Software Discounters of America (very good store).
With PP v1.02, you get System, Helvetica and Times SCREEN fonts, but
only Helvetica PRINTER fonts.  All font disks (SOftLogik's or Font Factory's)
comes with SCREEN and PRINTER fonts.

 I just learned that the TIMES printer font is NOT public-domain as I
incorrectly stated previously. TIMES and a bunch of others are put out by
Font Factory. Each disk is about $20 thru mail-order.

 Columbia, Hudson, and Saturn ARE in public-domain. So is University-Roman.
BTW, a few of the fonts (including Devoll and Thames) do not generate
the greater-than and less-than signs.

 Also, test a couple of other printer drivers. I have a PANASONIC 1091i
and the readme file suggests the MX80f driver.  However, I've found the
FX80F to be significantly better when it comes to printing text.  For
normal text, point size of 10 seems to generate the best print. Helvetica
at 10 ps is INCREDIBLY awesome on the PANA1091i (close to laser print!!)
--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!lean

marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris) (08/08/90)

Does anyone know of any printer and/or screen fonts for
"Publishing Partner", other than System, System Bold, Helvetica,
and Times? GDOS and Postscript would be appreciated, especially
Postscript. Pub.Domain or Shareware preferred, but commercial
would be considered. Also, where would I find them? Thanks.
Internet/CSnet:     marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au || St Lucia, Queensland 4072
Bitnet:marshall%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP: uunet!munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz.au!marshall || ph:+61 7 377 2909
JUNET:              marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au || fax:+61 7 371 0783
* 	   "If you want to make god laugh, show him your plans"            *
*	                   Woody Allen                                     *