[comp.sys.atari.st] gcc

elev35@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) (08/13/90)

Can anyone tell me what all the .ttp files in gcc do? Any documentation
would be appreciated.

cnm.ttp
fixstk.ttp
gcc-cc1.ttp
gcc-cpp.ttp
gcc-ld.ttp
gcc-nm.ttp
gdb.ttp
printstk.ttp
sym-ld.ttp
toglclr.ttp
gcc-as.ttp

Thanks Robin

In article <5645@castle.ed.ac.uk> elev35@castle.ed.ac.uk (R C Smith) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what all the .ttp files in gcc do? Any documentation
>would be appreciated.

>cnm.ttp
	This prints out the symbol table of a TOS format executable file,
	if present. Currently the linker spits out Alcyon format symbol
	info. (I kinda wish it used MWC format. Oh well...)
>fixstk.ttp
	This lets you change the amount of stack space a program will
	allocate. This amount cannot be changed at runtime, so must be
	stored as static value in the TOS executable image.
>gcc-cc1.ttp
	This is the main compiler driver & code generator & optimizer.
	When folx say "gosh, gcc sure uses a ton of memory" this is the
	culprit.   }-)
>gcc-cpp.ttp
	This is the C preprocessor.
>gcc-ld.ttp
	This is the linker, which combines gcc format .o files into
	TOS format program files. gcc does not use the Alcyon format
	for its object files. The gcc format is a slightly modified
	Unix .o format.
>gcc-nm.ttp
	This prints the symbol table info for a gcc .o object file
	or .lib archive file.
>gdb.ttp
	This is the GNU debugger, a fairly powerful source-level
	debugger.
>printstk.ttp
	This prints the current stack size of a gnu-compiled TOS program.
>sym-ld.ttp
	This is a modified version of the linker, which creates a symbol
	file which is necessary for use with gdb. Since the Alcyon symbol
	format isn't flexible enough to include all the necessary debug
	info, it gets stored into a separate .sym file.
>toglclr.ttp
	This toggles the fast bit for TOS 1.4 files. If the fast bit is
	set, the heap is not cleared. If cleared, the heap is zeroed.
	(And note, the heap is not the same as the BSS, which is always
	zeroed.)
>gcc-as.ttp
	This is the gnu assembler, which turns the output of gcc-cc1 into
	object code. It's kind of a Unix-format assembler. Strange syntax.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

sjaak@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Schilperoort J.W.) (08/14/90)

hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>>gdb.ttp
>	This is the GNU debugger, a fairly powerful source-level
>>sym-ld.ttp
>       This is a modified version of the linker, which creates a symbol
>       file which is necessary for use with gdb.

Only for gcc versions 1.34 and earlier. The gdb that comes with the
Atari ST port of gcc 1.37.1 only supports -gg, and support for this
debug format was dropped in favour of the unix-format -g starting with
gcc 1.35 (so I'm told by jawar r. bammi).

--
Sjaak Schilperoort          			JW_Schilperoort@pttrnl.nl
PTT Research Neher Laboratorium			...!hp4nl!dnlunx!sjaak