[comp.sys.atari.st] Tos 1.4

gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (08/31/88)

Allen, Roy and Ken:

You're whetting my (and probably others') appetite for the new
ROMS. Naturally some bugs have shown up now that you're in Beta
test and you probably have some idea how to fix them. So,  Please
 give us a preliminary date and the terms for its
release. Also, please give us a new list of bugs fixed and not
fixed (the last one I saw was several months ago.)

--
    UUCP:   ...{umix,mit-eddie,uw-beaver}!apollo!gaz
    ARPA:   gaz@apollo.COM

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (09/01/88)

in article <3e303db7.52e@apollo.COM>, gaz@apollo.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) says:

> Allen, Roy and Ken:
> You're whetting my (and probably others') appetite for the new
> ROMS. Naturally some bugs have shown up now that you're in Beta
> test and you probably have some idea how to fix them. So,  Please
>  give us a preliminary date and the terms for its
> release. Also, please give us a new list of bugs fixed and not
> fixed (the last one I saw was several months ago.)

The Developer Release is essentially now available via Cindy Claveran for
$20. This include TOS 1.4 DR on Floppy, release notes, revision to MadMac,
revision to "aln" linker, first release of own own "db" object level debugger,
Product Tracking System interface and guide, and SFP004 (68881) deevloper
kit with demos. The $20 deal is only available to registered developers.
Details are in the latest Atari Forum (Developer Newsletter) which was mailed
earlier this week.
The Developer Release contains many improvements and fixes over the original
Beta release of mid-May, but we do know of some discrepancies. These will be
fixed before committing to ROM, and I intend to put a short "known problem"
list in these kits, so maybe we won't have to have worldwide postings. The
Developer Version of TOS 1.4 is considered "unsupported", but this is only
because the ROM version (and its associated RAM version) must be held
as the definitive work. The Developer Release has an Alert box to this
effect on booting.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation
Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

In article <1151@atari.UUCP> good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) writes:
%The Developer Release is essentially now available via Cindy Claveran for
%$20. This include TOS 1.4 DR on Floppy, release notes, revision to MadMac,
%revision to "aln" linker, first release of own own "db" object level debugger,
%Product Tracking System interface and guide, and SFP004 (68881) deevloper
%kit with demos. The $20 deal is only available to registered developers.
%Details are in the latest Atari Forum (Developer Newsletter) which was mailed
%earlier this week.

68881? What's this? Real floating point support on our STs? Care to talk
in a bit more detail about this? Sounds like it could be really hot stuff...
(How 'bout a 68882 - pin compatible but faster...?)
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (09/08/88)

in art. <404@clio.math.lsa.umich.edu>, hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) says:

> 68881? What's this? Real floating point support on our STs?
Ooops!
I should have noted that the SFP004 is an add-in board for the Mega, not
an external package for an ST. Sorry guys/gals.

If code is correctly written per Motorola standards, it will execute
correctly on both '881 and '882. But code can also be writen to
exploit the 'parallelism' of the '882, and lose compatibility.
SFP004 is shipped ONLY with an on-board, socketed, '881.

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation
Views expressed are my own. Atari may agree or disagree; they have the right.

Friesen@PCO-MULTICS.HBI.HONEYWELL.COM (09/14/88)

Well this is a free country, I never signed a contract I wouldn't tell,
I'm not a registered developer, after all this net is for Atari info.!

This weekend I met up with someone who had TOS 1.4 (I don't no how he
got it, or even his name(I was more interestead in the ROM info.)).  He
said that it has some nice features.  He said now when you copy files,
instead of just displaying how many files to go, it also displays the
names of the files.  He said disk I/O is increased "umpteen times"
(that's a direct quote).  He said he hadn't fooled around much with its
internals and didn't know about internal error corrections such as
malloc.  He really didn't say much else but that it seemed to have many
new *niceties* such as the file names being displayed as they are
copied.  I was in somewhat of a hurry and couldn't ask him detailed
questions, he also was very anxious to offer info., but he seemed as if
he hadn't worked much with it or didn't want to offer details.
<<<<<<<<<<<<Remember this is information from someone I don't really
know, but it should be reliable..

Aric Friesen

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (11/23/88)

I'm afraid this is going to bore some people.  I would really like to replace
my 1040 with a Mega.  But I'm not going to do it until the new ROMs are
available (not for certain then, either, but more likely than not).  I see
in the latest Computer Shopper that Sam Tramiel is quoted as saying that TOS
1.4 will be released in 'early 1989'.  So what I'd basically like to know
is when we'll know what specific date 'early 1989' means.  As an aside,
remembering what happened to Adam Osborne, is there any chance of Atari
including 'new ROM certificates' with ST-s sold after a certain date?
If there are other nervous but interesteds out there like me, that could
help sales.

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (11/24/88)

All this talk of an impending release of TOS 1.4 has reminded me of a nagging
question..... how exactly it will be distributed and retrofitted to existing
ST's and Mega ST's.

In the days since the Mega's came out, I've seen mention that Atari would
sell the ROMs to 520/1040 owners for a spcified price. I've also seen ads
from folks with EPROM burners who were selling home-made "Blit ROMs" from
memory dumps of the Mega code.

I asked one such guy how he could pirate Atari's code publicly, and he
referred to some "policy" that TOS was intended for free distribution to
user's groups and that he was within his legal rights to distribute it
in this way.

My question to the Atari folks here, therefore:

1. How will TOS 1.4 be distributed? Directly to owners? Through dealers?
   Service centers? Will there be different chipsets? (One with 256 kbit
   roms for 520/1040, one with 1 mbit roms for Megas)
2. Is TOS designed for free distribution to users? Can someone distibute
   homemade roms so long as he does not profit on the affair?
3. What is the _real_ distribution date? I'm still waiting for my
   January 1987 BLiTTER upgrade :-)

---

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) (02/02/89)

A friend of mine just got the floppy version of TOS 1.4 and is having
some problems making it work.  The disk has 2 files on it; TOS.IMG,
and COLDBOOT.PRG.  In typical ATARI fashion the documentation describes
what the changes are but not how to use the new version.  Running the
COLDBOOT.PRG causes a reboot and the old TOS installs.  If he puts the
program in an auto folder it causes "infinite reboots".  He has tried
all possible combinations of .IMG file and COLDBOOT program in either
root directory or auto folder with no luck.

Question 1 - is it possible that you have to remove the old TOS ROMS
             from your machine before the software version will load?
	     Does anyone know how to use this software version of TOS1.4?

Assuming he can get the floppy version of TOS1.4 to work, my friend would
like to attempt to make ROMS of TOS1.4.

Question 2 - Can this be done using the TOS.IMG file?  How?

I have a utility program called f2s.prg which supposedly takes an image
file and converts it into Motorolla S-record format suitable for downloading
into a PROM programmer.  When I run this program on the TOS.IMG file I
get 4 bombs on the screen.  Has anyone used this utility and seen this
problem before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (02/04/89)

>A friend of mine just got the floppy version of TOS 1.4 and is having
>some problems making it work.  The disk has 2 files on it; TOS.IMG,
>and COLDBOOT.PRG.  In typical ATARI fashion the documentation describes
>what the changes are but not how to use the new version.  Running the
>COLDBOOT.PRG causes a reboot and the old TOS installs.  If he puts the
>program in an auto folder it causes "infinite reboots".  He has tried
>all possible combinations of .IMG file and COLDBOOT program in either
>root directory or auto folder with no luck.
>
>Question 1 - is it possible that you have to remove the old TOS ROMS
>             from your machine before the software version will load?
>	     Does anyone know how to use this software version of TOS1.4?
>
>Assuming he can get the floppy version of TOS1.4 to work, my friend would
>like to attempt to make ROMS of TOS1.4.
>
>Question 2 - Can this be done using the TOS.IMG file?  How?
>
>I have a utility program called f2s.prg which supposedly takes an image
>file and converts it into Motorolla S-record format suitable for downloading
>into a PROM programmer.  When I run this program on the TOS.IMG file I
>get 4 bombs on the screen.  Has anyone used this utility and seen this
>problem before?

a) Tos 1.4 can only be loaded by booting with the Tos disk in the drive.
All the .ACC files you want to use have to be present on that disk.
Also the Tos 1.4 disk I had came as a single sided disk. Of course I
wanted to have Tos on a double sided disk. I sent a program with source
to comp.{binaries, sources}.atari.st called CPBOOT which copies the
boot sector that loads TOS.IMG correctly across disk formats.

b) From what I have read of the docs TOS.IMG is loaded into the middle
of RAM then executed. TOS.IMG will then self-relocate itself in a
polite space in high memory and take ove the boot up procedure. This
self-relocating code will kind of screw up any attempt to put TOS.IMG
on EPROMS.

c) Tos 1.4 is nice to use but I too want to place it in EPROM. Yet it is
handy to have so that you can play those games that didn't work previously
with the Mega Roms. I've decided to wait to Atari finalizes Tos 1.4 so
that I can ask for the new version suitable for EPROM burning.
Should be Real Soon Now.

-Ant

--
   achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu      |  "Murdered by pirates is good."
 __                    _          |    - The Princess Bride (movie)

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Richard Dankert) (02/05/89)

In article <5321@homxc.ATT.COM> dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) writes:

>A friend of mine just got the floppy version of TOS 1.4 and is having
>some problems making it work.  The disk has 2 files on it; TOS.IMG,
>and COLDBOOT.PRG.

	The TOS 1.4 that a developer friend of mind had two programs in the
AUTO folder that allowed one to boot the TOS from floppy while still utilizing
the Hard drive.

	Works Great.

	Now if you desire to cheat, just take that old (if you have one )
	original TOS on disk, and copy the disk, then remove the older
	version of TOS and replace.

	Works Great!

	rich.....
	UUCP: rich@lakesys.lakesys.COM     {always .... }

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (02/07/89)

in article <5321@homxc.ATT.COM>, dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) says:

> A friend of mine just got the floppy version of TOS 1.4 and is having
> some problems making it work.  The disk has 2 files on it; TOS.IMG,
> and COLDBOOT.PRG.  In typical ATARI fashion the documentation describes
> what the changes are but not how to use the new version.  Running the
> COLDBOOT.PRG causes a reboot and the old TOS installs.  If he puts the
> program in an auto folder it causes "infinite reboots".  He has tried
> all possible combinations of .IMG file and COLDBOOT program in either
> root directory or auto folder with no luck.

You're right, COLDBOOT.PRG only re-boots the system.

> Question 1 - is it possible that you have to remove the old TOS ROMS
>              from your machine before the software version will load?
> 	     Does anyone know how to use this software version of TOS1.4?

No, that is not necessary when booting a RAM loaded copy of TOS 1.4
In order to use the TOS 1.4 disk, you mearly need to have it in drive
A: at power-on time for the computer.

From the sound of it, your friend has an incomplete disk.  The disks that
are packed out of Developer Support have an AUTO folder w/ some HD
files needed, a disk caching program, the SPR folder w/ the SPRgen
program and of course TOS.IMG and COLDBOOT.PRG.  There is also an
active boot sector on the disk.

If your friend is a registered developer (which he should be in order to
have a copy of the OS at this point) then he should call Developer Support
for an immeadiate replacement disk.  Dev/Sup is the only place that
*REAL* updates to TOS 1.4 should be comming from.

> Assuming he can get the floppy version of TOS1.4 to work, my friend would
> like to attempt to make ROMS of TOS1.4.

Making ROMs out of the RAM loaded TOS 1.4 will not be supported by Atari
corp. in any fashion.  TOS 1.4 is still in beta test and updates are common
at this point.

> Question 2 - Can this be done using the TOS.IMG file?  How?

You do not use the TOS.IMG file, there is a boot sector on each TOS 1.4
disk shipped from Atari that calls in and runs the .IMG OS file.

dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) (02/08/89)

In article <1336@atari.UUCP>, danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) writes:

> From the sound of it, your friend has an incomplete disk.  The disks that
> are packed out of Developer Support have an AUTO folder w/ some HD
> files needed, a disk caching program, the SPR folder w/ the SPRgen
> program and of course TOS.IMG and COLDBOOT.PRG.  There is also an
> active boot sector on the disk.
>
> If your friend is a registered developer (which he should be in order to
> have a copy of the OS at this point) then he should call Developer Support
> for an immeadiate replacement disk.  Dev/Sup is the only place that
> *REAL* updates to TOS 1.4 should be comming from.

Thanks Dan, I talked to me friend (he is a registered developer) after
reading your reply to this post.  Aparrently he immediately backed up
THE FILES on his disk and tried to use the backup (which doesn't have
the active boot sector) to load TOS1.4.  When he went back and made
a sector by sector copy of the supplied disk TOS1.4 loaded and ran
without a hitch.

My question for you is will TOS 1.4 be available in ROM to owners
of 520's and 1040's as a retrograde upgrade?  If so, when?

Thanks,

dan kuster

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (02/10/89)

in article <5421@homxc.ATT.COM>, dmk2@homxc.ATT.COM (D.KUSTER) says:

> Thanks Dan, I talked to me friend (he is a registered developer) after
> reading your reply to this post.  Aparrently he immediately backed up
> THE FILES on his disk and tried to use the backup (which doesn't have
> the active boot sector) to load TOS1.4.  When he went back and made
> a sector by sector copy of the supplied disk TOS1.4 loaded and ran
> without a hitch.

If your friend *REALLY* wants to load the TOS 1.4 OS off a HD, then
he might do well to contact Supra Corp.  They came out with a (PD?)
little program that would allow RAM loaded TOS 1.4 to boot off a HD
formatted w/ their software.  I can't recommend this 100% because I
don't know what possible side-effects there may be from doing (sorta
like trying out a drug in test from your doctor).

> My question for you is will TOS 1.4 be available in ROM to owners
> of 520's and 1040's as a retrograde upgrade?  If so, when?

TOS 1.4 for the masses should be available *VERY* shortly <I can
hear people snickering already> as testing of TOS is about 99.9%
done at this time.  After that, it is a matter of figuring out how to
get it to the most people with the least amount of pain for everyone
involved.

Dan/Atari Corp.

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (03/13/89)

In article <1383@atari.UUCP>, jansen@atari (Mark O. Jansen) writes:
>Everything I have heard has said that Atari _is_ planning to make TOS 1.4
>available to owners of existing machines.  TOS 1.4 is a very different

This is really a request to Atari. I had mailed a similar request a while
back, but never got any reply.

Please make TOS ver M.N available as binary files (raw binary, intel/motorola
hex whatever). Quite a few of us replaced roms with eproms. This will be
really convenient for us, and a lot cheaper for both parties.

						advance thanks,
usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
compuServe:  71515,155

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (03/14/89)

in article <582@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu>, bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) says:

> Please make TOS ver M.N available as binary files (raw binary, intel/motorola
> hex whatever). Quite a few of us replaced roms with eproms. This will be
> really convenient for us, and a lot cheaper for both parties.

Sorry, but TOS 1.4 will only be supported in ROM form only.  That means
no EPROMS or RAM based versions will be suppored by Atari.

This is due in part to the large number of RAM revisions that left Atari for
developer testing and the number of pirated EPROMs available off those RAM
versions.

Dan Scott/Atari Corp.

"These opinions are mine----companies don't have opinions"

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (03/16/89)

From article <1387@atari.UUCP>, by danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott):

> Sorry, but TOS 1.4 will only be supported in ROM form only.  That means
> no EPROMS or RAM based versions will be suppored by Atari.
>
> This is due in part to the large number of RAM revisions that left Atari for
> developer testing and the number of pirated EPROMs available off those RAM
> versions.

Hmm.  Given Atari's previous record of not getting products out
the door quickly, it would seem that the 'pirated' EPROMs of TOS
1.4 are a sensible precaution on the part of well-equipped users
who want to use the improved OS before 1992.

I would have thought that allowing dealers and others to
duplicate TOS 1.4 would be a quick way of getting it out to the
people who need it, and one which would reduce Atari's expenses.
Surely Atari isn't planning to make lots of money out of the
upgrade??

Admittedly, there is a danger that nasty people might try to sell
or give away EPROMs that they'd modified in some manner, and I
can see that Atari wouldn't like to have to carry the can for
subsequent complaints.  What do you all think is the right way to
balance our wishes to get the upgrade as soon as possible with
Atari's justifiable desire to retain some control over what gets
out?

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/19/89)

Graham Thomas asks:
>I would have thought that allowing dealers and others to
>duplicate TOS 1.4 would be a quick way of getting it out to the
>people who need it, and one which would reduce Atari's expenses.
>Surely Atari isn't planning to make lots of money out of the
>upgrade??

The last figure I'd heard was approx. $100 for the upgrade...   of course,
we won't know the price for sure until the final units are produced and
released.

BobR

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (03/24/89)

in article <15979@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com says:

> Graham Thomas asks:
>>I would have thought that allowing dealers and others to
>>duplicate TOS 1.4 would be a quick way of getting it out to the
>>people who need it, and one which would reduce Atari's expenses.
>>Surely Atari isn't planning to make lots of money out of the
>>upgrade??
>
> The last figure I'd heard was approx. $100 for the upgrade...   of course,
> we won't know the price for sure until the final units are produced and
> released.
>
> BobR

Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date for
the upgrade to TOS 1.4.

-- John Townsend
   Atari Corporation

danw@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM (Daniel E. Wilson) (03/27/89)

In article <1395@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:

> Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date for
> the upgrade to TOS 1.4.
>
> -- John Townsend
>    Atari Corporation

  At least they admit they won't offer an upgrade this time.

poole@forty2.UUCP (Simon Poole) (03/28/89)

In article <1395@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:

>Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date for
>the upgrade to TOS 1.4.
>
>-- John Townsend
>   Atari Corporation

ROT, while Atari HQ in Sunnyvale may have never said such a thing, Atari
subsideries have (the subsideries ARE `Atari' for 99% of your customers).

UUCP:   ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole			Simon Poole
BITNET: K538915@CZHRZU1A

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (03/28/89)

In article <3757@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> danw@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM (Daniel E. Wilson) writes:
|In article <1395@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
|>
|> Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date for
|> the upgrade to TOS 1.4.
|>
|> -- John Townsend
|>    Atari Corporation
|
|  At least they admit they won't offer an upgrade this time.

   WRONG.

  If you had included complete context in your message:
In article <1395@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
|in article <15979@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com says:
|>
|> Graham Thomas asks:
|>>[...]
|>>Surely Atari isn't planning to make lots of money out of the
|>>upgrade??
|>
|> The last figure I'd heard was approx. $100 for the upgrade...
|> [...]
|
|Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date [...]

   We are definitely going to make upgrades available.  We have
not announced price or availability.  John was only trying to prevent
rumoured price information from spreading around the net.

   Watch my letters:

   TOS 1.4 WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE AS AN UPGRADE TO *ALL* ST AND MEGA
   OWNERS.  PLEASE BE PATIENT.  AS SOON AS DATES AND PRICES ARE MADE
   AVAILABLE, THE INFORMATION WILL BE DISSEMINATED AS WIDELY AS
   POSSIBLE.

   Thank you.
--
 Ken Badertscher                 | #include <disclaimer>
 Atari R&D Software Engine       | GEMDOS LIVES! ...or is that Frodo?

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (03/28/89)

in article <3757@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM>, danw@tekchips.LABS.TEK.COM (Daniel E. Wilson) says:

> In article <1395@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>>
>> Atari has _never_ announced an upgrade price or availability date for
>> the upgrade to TOS 1.4.
>>
>> -- John Townsend
>>    Atari Corporation
>
>   At least they admit they won't offer an upgrade this time.

How on Earth do you draw this inference?! Not having yet made an announcement
does NOT infer that upgrades will not be available. And we have previously said
that we will use this medium, and others, to announce kit availability.

Roy Good/Atari

sarnila@tukki.jyu.fi (Pekka Sarnila) (03/30/89)

In the beta version of TOS 1.4 , I'm been told, the maximum partition
size is still 16M. Also in Cebit I was told that in the final version
it will be the same. IS THIS REALLY TRUE? I find it very difficult to
believe. Now that 30M and 44M are also available from Atari.

If I remeber right it goes like this: logic sector size is half kilo,
parameter to bios is 16 bits = 64k, this times half kilo makes 32M,
because of a bug in Alcyon C unsigned int only signed could be used,
so it really leaves 15 bits = 16M. If it is so why on earth it hasn't
been fixed?

Well what ever the reason was it souldn't bee valid since, as we are
told, the whole file system handling has been rewitten.

Please Atari fix that bug (I think 16M partition now days is a bug)!

Pekka Sarnila,  University of Jyvaskyla Finland
sarnila@tukki.jyu.fi

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (03/31/89)

I'll say one thing, Atari is doing an A-1 job of keeping to company
policy and preventing leaks!  Good well done there.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (04/01/89)

John,

Will TOS 1.4 support fixed link mode? I hope so!!

Ed June

T8M-ARVE@FINTUVM.BITNET (Jari Arve) (06/28/89)

My friend is willing to know about the TOS 1.4. How it works and
what are your experiences of it ?
He can't connect to this net and that's why I send this message.

He already has had the beta version of TOS 1.4 for three months
running in the Mega St 2 with Atari mcs 5 068 series harddisks
(128 Mb capacity, running at speed 28 ms ). This system is a BBS
with tre lines and Michrotron 3.0. This system is owned partly by
X Computer Oy.

Sorry about my poor english.

Jari Arve              Internet: t8m-arve at fintuvm.utu.fi
                       Bitnet  : t8m-arve at fintuvm

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (08/03/89)

In article <725@lzaz.ATT.COM> hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
*
*By the way, Did you know you can really buy tos 1.4 from Atari.
*Problem is it costs you $172.  (They call it the developers documentation +
*TOS 1.4).  Still, for that price, it available to anyone.
*
*Howard C. Johnson
*ATT Bell Labs
*att!lzaz!hcj
*hcj@lzaz.att.com

Hmmm, can the TOS 1.4 chipset be installed in a 1040ST or only
the Mega ST's?  $172 sounds ok to me if there is a significant
improvement over TOS 1.0 (which I assume is the case).

Mark.Johnson@metnet.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Johnson) (08/26/89)

Hmmm it won't fix having to load in G+Plus, or some of the others. Do
you always run GDOS programs such that G+Plus is always needed? If not
- avoid it, since even with it's improvements over GDOS it still slows
the system down a bit.

--
Mark Johnson - via FidoNet node 1:147/10
UUCP: ...!att!occrsh!uokmax!metnet!Mark.Johnson

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (09/01/89)

According to Sam Tramiel on a GEnie conference held last night,
TOS 1.4 is available NOW from any Atari dealer in six chip format.
Estimated cost of $100 plus installation fee.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

eezprandolin@qut.edu.au (09/07/89)

In article <1673@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>
> | In article <1660@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> | >
> | >Available now at a dealer near you.  And if it isn't, please WRITE A LETTER
> | >to Atari Corp. asking why Rainbow TOS isn't available at your dealer.
>
> | Well, if Atari got off it's toosh and came up to the North East and
> | SIGNED UP SOME DEALERS, we might have somewheres to get 1.4, not to
> | mention other trivial things like computer, and monitors, and the such.
>
> | No flame at you specifically, but I just thought it was a funny paradox.
> | Going to places that don't exist for things that haven't been released
> | yet.
>
>   I apologise for any problems my precipitous comments may have caused.
> My intent was to get people _going_ to their dealers to ask about the
> Rainbow TOS upgrade, so that their dealers would start ordering them
> from Atari.  I want to get this upgrade out there!!!  So much so, that
> I may have jumped the chain of command a bit too far on this one.
>
>   The fact remains that Rainbow TOS ROMs should be available to dealers
> NOW.  Sam Tramiel said on the GEnie live conference last night that
> they were.  He also said that we will be announcing a method later in
> the week whereby people who don't have dealers nearby can get the upgrade.
> I don't know the details of that, it hasn't been worked out in detail yet,
> but as soon as details are available, we'll let you know.

comments deleted

> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

OZ Atari obviously don't know about this yet :-) ....
Do THEY have net access ?

After putting up with ( Read: working around ) bugs
( ala fileselector 200 file, redirection, pexec, numerous gem bugettes )
not to mention the WOEFUL HD Performance (only JUST beats an amiga )
I would like TOS 1.4

Atari Oz will probably have them about 6 months AFTER I get them from
somewhere (US)

Ps. I am trying to register as a developer  ( Have some hardware to sell )
Atari Sydney is not interested or Just SLOW so I haven't heard back yet.
Does anyone know who the right person is to talk to (mail) ?

PPS. Tos 1.3 Pexec time is roughly proportional to the amount of memory
     that is in the system ( I suspect this is because TOS is fond of zero-
     ing memory for applications) is there a workaround for this ?

               BOB { stay tuned, same BAT Group same BAT net }

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (09/11/89)

In article <5001@qut.edu.au> eezprandolin@qut.edu.au writes:

>... not to mention the WOEFUL HD Performance (only JUST beats an amiga )

Please, I DON'T mean to cause another "My computer is better than yours" war,
but I couldn't let this just slip by.

Amiga hard drive performance, depending on the particular setup, can be
very fast.  Actual disk throughput of over 800K/sec has been reported, and
500K/sec is common.

The performance depends on the file sytem (the Fast File System or the
Original File System), the controller type (ST502 or SCSI), the specific
contorller chosen, the number of buffers, the CPU utilization, the average
track-to-track access time of the hard disk itself, and other factors.

Now, if you are talking about the Amiga running under the Original File System,
then it would be woeful to just barely beat it in performance, because the
Original File System is VERY slow.  However, it isn't used much anymore.

If you know of someone who currently has an Amiga with poor hard drive
performance, chances are that either he has a very poor controller, has
allocated VERY few buffers, or is running under the old file system.  If you're
basing your opinion of Amiga hard disk speed from a past observation, please
take another look.

In summary, the performance of the Amiga hard disk system, using the Fast File
System, is far from woeful.  In fact, it's very fast.

Rodney Ricks,   Atlanta University Center Computation Center
--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Atlanta University Center Computation Center

jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman) (10/13/89)

OK, I know everyone is going to be sick to their stomachs at seeing
this question, so do us all a favor and reply by MAIL only.

What new features does TOS 1.4 offer?  I have the Mega ROMs in my
souped-up 520ST (double sided drive and 1 meg memory expansion).
How much does it cost and where would it be preferable to get it
from?  I got the Mega ROM upgrade from a dealer on six chips, which
I popped in myself in 10 minutes.

Basically, is it worthwhile doing this upgrade?

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |

AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) (11/24/89)

Dear Mates,

Atari UK show no sign whatsoever of letting us UK ST owners have TOS1.4.
Does anyone know whether buying foreign ROMs would be a problem, and if so
can anyone recommend a good place to buy em? Email replies please, I don't
think this will rivit the attention of the group. Thanks.

Jan

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (11/27/89)

In article <8911250801.AA16291@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) writes:
> Dear Mates,
>
> Atari UK show no sign whatsoever of letting us UK ST owners have TOS1.4.
> [more]

I don't often find time to read this group now, but then things don't seem
to change much anyway..

How long have Atari kept the UK waiting for this now?
They should realise that it's a very simple matter to make bootleg EPROM
copies of the 1.4 ROMs, and install them. If it becomes widespread, it
will be no less than they appear to deserve.
They obviously place *some* value on the UK market, they're spending
on TV advertising, and that's definately not cheap!

Dave E.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/28/89)

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:

>In article <8911250801.AA16291@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) writes:
>> Atari UK show no sign whatsoever of letting us UK ST owners have TOS1.4.
>How long have Atari kept the UK waiting for this now?

You mistakenly imply that Atari Corporation (the parent of all
subsidiaries) has "kept the UK waiting."  This is not the case.  The UK
has TOS 1.4.  If they don't want to manufacture or ship it, that's their
call. We don't tell them how to run their operations.

(I don't really know that much about the subs: for example, I think
they order ROMs from Atari Taiwan.  The point is that Atari Corporation
has provided all subs with TOS 1.4, and from that point on it's up to
the sub.)

cs161fca@sdcc10.ucsd.edu ( ) (11/30/89)

In article <1825@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>(I don't really know that much about the subs: for example, I think
>they order ROMs from Atari Taiwan.  The point is that Atari Corporation

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Just curious.  The ST is made in Taiwan.  But is the ST sold in
Taiwan, or Atari Taiwan is just a company making computers for
exports (to the US and Canada and Europe?)

RiddCJ@computer-science.birmingham.ac.UK (Chris Ridd) (12/01/89)

Does anyone know when TOS 1.4 hits the streets in the UK?  Why is there such
a big delay?  Is Atari UK hopeless?  (Yes...:-)

   Chris

/*
 * Snail mail address:
 * Chris Ridd,                   "Wave after wave, each mightier than the last
 * School of Computer Science,  'Til last, a ninth one, gathering half the deep
 * Birmingham University,         And full of voices, slowly rose and plunged
 * UK                              Roaring, and all the wave was in a flame"
 *
 */

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/08/90)

Well I now have TOS 1.4 ("Great! Perhaps he'll stop moaning now"),
I actually had to send Atari UK the blank EPROMs to get it which I guess
beats anyone elses sob story. Do you think if I send them some chips and
solder they could make me a TT :-)
I didn't get any kind of release notes (user or developer) with it, just the
chips and a letter so I've requested them again.

First impressions?
I *LOVE* it!
	Faster disk access
	Beautiful file selector
	Reset from keyboard
	TPA almost back at TOS 1.00 level
	Disk copy more intelligent (copies 10SPT)
	Copy/Move file dialog shows what's happening
	Fastload

These are just the first few things I tried out or discovered and I'm looking
forward to the rest. Many many thanks to Allan, Ken and everyone else at Atari
US who worked so hard to make this TOS the best yet. Any hope of the 1.0
patch?

Sadly I'm probably the last UK developer to get Rainbow TOS. If not send your
answers on a postcard to Atari UK ...
Who knows when Joe User will get a look at it. Soon we all hope.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "It's not much of a cheese shop is it?"  !

SOFPJF@UOGUELPH.BITNET (Peter Jaspers-Fayer) (02/24/90)

I Got a phone call from Atari Canada last week, TOS 1.4 ROMS are
in.  After some dithering, I ordered the 6 ROM set, and they
arrived yesterday with some photocopied sheets.  One was the blurb
about Control-Drag (file move) & etc, one appeared to be only
relavent to MEGA machines, and the last one was the most scary. It
was a mapping of chip numbers to sockets (which chips go into which
sockets), but the sokcet numbers did not make any sense in my
1040STf.  I do not have H1, L0, ... nor were my ROM sockets
labelled U3,6,9,4,7,and 10 (mine are U2-U7).  Close examination of
the old roms revealed that they were in numerical order (160-165 in
sockets U2-U7), so taking a deep breath, I inserted the new ones
(635-640) in that sequence as well. I found the chips harder to
install than memory chips (stiffer insertion, bent a leg on one
chip, got it straitened out OK).

It all works as advertised.  The COPY FILES dialogue looks
different, (likewise the Desktop Info, but no rainbow on my mono
screen ;-).  It seems the screen draws are even faster (?) than
before, and certainly Show Info on a disk (even floppy) is faster.
I should have done some timings before I installed 1.4, darned if
I'll swap back to get them now!  Nothing broke.  RAMdisks are OK,
UniTerm is as good as ever (Thanks once more Simon), WordPerfect is
as ugly as ever, etc, etc.  All in all, I'm happy.  One strange
thing:

I have a CLI.TOS, which used to be installed as an application to
be called when I double-clicked a .BAT file.   With TOS1.4, when I
clicked on the .BAT file, the screen cleared, a slight pause, then
the desktop came back, the BAT file was not run!  De-Installing the
Application (Hey could I do that before?  Don't think so), and
re-installing it (just re-installing it didn't help) caused all to
be normal again.  Had to do that on several disks.  Other installed
applications were OK.  Curious, and a minor bother.

Thanks Alan and Co, things look good.  Probably adds another year or
so to the useful life of my machine. .. Oh yeah, in TOS 1.99 or
whatever, maybe you can set things up so that newly-installed disk
icons don't come up under an open window - it's still an unfriendly
thing to do, don't you think?

P.S.  Forced re-read of floppy DIR & FAT when you press ESC is OK, and
      necessary for people using old DOS formatted disks, but something
      not mentioned here (that I've seen), is that DOS 4.1 DOES put a
      serial number on the disk!

/PJ                                                 SofPJF@VM.UoGuelph.Ca
                     -------------------------------

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/20/90)

Hello,

I recall seeing someone selling a 6chip tos 1.4 set..   I would like to know
if the set is still available?   I am interested in buying it...

John Bunch

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu

In article <866@beguine.UUCP> John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>I recall seeing someone selling a 6chip tos 1.4 set..   I would like to know
>if the set is still available?   I am interested in buying it...

I don't remember the original posting, but I also have a 6 chip set that I no
longer need. (I had to get the 2 chip set instead.)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip