[comp.sys.atari.st] GCC-CPP blues

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (08/18/90)

I cannot get gcc-cpp.ttp to run correctly under Micro-RTX. Under Gulam
(TOS), I can type

	gcc-cpp hello.c hello.i

and the pre-processed output goes to hello.i. Under RTX, however,
I get an error (cannot create output file). This is a problem, since
gcc uses temporary files for its passes. Can anyone help? I have the
sources to gcc 1.37 from Terminator, but I have no idea on earth how
to extract gcc-cpp from that mess to compile it on my ST.

By the way, does gdb work with gcc 1.37? I remember seeing a message
claiming that it did not, but it was a little confusing. Thanks.

David Megginson
david@doe.utoronto.ca
meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca

bammi@curie.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug17.191036.5116@doe.utoronto.ca> david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:

>   (TOS), I can type
>
>	   gcc-cpp hello.c hello.i
>
>   and the pre-processed output goes to hello.i. Under RTX, however,
>   I get an error (cannot create output file). This is a problem, since

You need to either get a new set of binaries (avail on
picasso.ces.cwru.edu or dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu) or compile all the
executables again, using a newer version of the library startup file
crt0.c (library Patchlevel 56 or better). The problem is with RTX that
does not follow all the atari rules when launching an application
(specifically clearing A0 on an application launch vs. A0 == basepage
for an Acc launch). This newer crt0.c does'nt depend on this fact any
more (to detect acc startup) and works just fine with RTX (and others
like PACK etc).

>    sources to gcc 1.37 from Terminator, but I have no idea on earth how
>    to extract gcc-cpp from that mess to compile it on my ST.

Huh? Just look at the supplied makefile.

>By the way, does gdb work with gcc 1.37? I remember seeing a message
>claiming that it did not, but it was a little confusing. Thanks.

yes, its true. gdb doesnt work with gcc 1.37. in fact -gg support has
completely disappeared from the new version of gas (1.36) (this newer
version is available from dsrgsun/picasso.ces.cwru.edu for both minix
and tos).

cheers,
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.CES.CWRU.Edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
GEnie:	J.Bammi