[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drive Formatting Woes

dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) (08/21/90)

Ok, I have an Atari SH204 20 meg hard drive, which is very old.  It was
formatter with AHDI 1.0 or something old like that.  The hard drive crashed
and I also lost my copy of AHDI, so I got the ICDUTILS from terminator.

Everything seemed to format correctly (using tandon 262 drive and Adaptec
4000 controller.)

I configured 2 partitions, C:5.41 megs, and D:16 megs..

Everything formatted and all, but now any time i get a file selector box
(TOS 1.4) where I can select the active drive, all the drives up to like
drive M are available.  Does anyone know why?  Do I HAVE to have the ICD
adapter in order to properly use the software.

If so, WHERE CAN I GET A NEWER VERSION OF AHDI WHICH SUPPORTES
PARTITIONS OVER 16 MEGS!?!?

-Frank

    Frank Rachel | Internet:Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.edu | University Of Miami

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (08/22/90)

In article <6799.26d10343@umiami.miami.edu> dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) writes:
>Everything formatted and all, but now any time i get a file selector box
>(TOS 1.4) where I can select the active drive, all the drives up to like
>drive M are available.  Does anyone know why?  Do I HAVE to have the ICD
>adapter in order to properly use the software.
>
>If so, WHERE CAN I GET A NEWER VERSION OF AHDI WHICH SUPPORTES
>PARTITIONS OVER 16 MEGS!?!?
>
>-Frank

	There are several solutions to the " Ghost drive " problem. AHDI
is up to version 3 which supports larger partitions. It should be available
from local bbs's, it's definately on GEnie,and,if your lucky enough to have
a local store,he should supply you with it.
	Berkely Microsystems makes a replacement PAL for the ASCI board which
stops it from claiming to be every drive under the sun. Their address has been
posted frequently but I don't have it.
	There is a program called HDFIX of ICDFIX or SUPFIX which patches
the earlier freely available Supra and ICD booters to ignore the atari
asci boards claims. The fix program should be available the same places as
AHDI but if not (it's quite old) I'll send it to comp.binaries or somewhere.

	John Henders
	Vancouver,BC

  p.s. Has anyone found reliable mail paths to the German guys running Rodney's
UUPC modules. Everything I try seems to bog down somewhere around snorklewacker.