[comp.sys.atari.st] uw

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA.UUCP (04/10/87)

I tried out the UW program, and it seems to work quite well.  I was only
able to get it working with the following procedure:

(1) Configure the RS-232 port to the correct speed.
(2) Run WIND.PRG on the ST.  The program opens a window when it starts.
(3) Dial in (or otherwise connect) to your VAX in the normal way within
    the initial terminal window.
(4) Run uw.vax on the VAX.
(5) You can now open start multiple shells on the VAX using the
    "remote shell" menu selection.

If anyone has another method for getting uw to work, I would like to
hear about it.  Does anyone know what the program uwtools.vax does?
When I ran this program all I got was a bunch of bombs on the ST.

Is the VAX side of uw identical to the Mac version?  Is the source
code for the ST version of uw available?

Karl Rowley
rowley@orville.arpa

billw@wolf.UUCP (05/29/87)

(1) Could someone give me Part 2 of the old turneresque uw distribution?
Going through my files, I see it isn't there.

(2) Anybody gotten the UNIX side to work on SysV?
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

katzung@laidbak.UUCP (Brian Katzung) (11/06/87)

A colleague and I have done *EXSTENSIVE* hacking on UW.
It now has a configuration file, file capture, optional
title bar and sliders, programmable function keys, built
in rs232 configuration, choice of emulation sizes (sorry,
still only adm31), access to 6 fonts, printer support
(text only), and a text clipboard mechanism.

Jump scrolling and some loop unwinding have improved the
effective speed quite a bit.

Several people at Lachman are using it, but we have been
on a feature binge for a long time and should freeze for
a while before shipping it out (it shouldn't be too much
longer now (kind of echoes when you say that, doesn't it
:-)  )).  I also want to say early on that we won't have
time to do lots of integration, so if anyone has bright
ideas of doing lots of additional hacking, please check
with us first if you want us to integrate your changes.

If it works at all on a color system, I suspect it is not
much fun to use (I haven't tried it).

-- Brian Katzung  ihnp4!laidbak!katzung

moe@athena.mit.edu (Moezeddin K. Karimeddiny) (12/09/87)

   I apologize for this posting but since all my mails to Brian Katzung were
bounced, this is my last resort.

   Brian, please post the version of UW that you have with all those nice
features: configuration file, file capture, optional title bar and sliders,
programmable function keys, built in rs232 configuration, choice of emulation
sizes, access to 6 fonts, printer support, text clipboard mechanism, and faster
execution...and whatever else that you guys might have hacked since your
posting a month ago...Please

   If you have problem posting then is there another way for me to get the
program (through usnail maybe, I could send you a disk and a self address,
stamped envelop)

   Thanks in advance for your troubles

   Hai

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/10/87)

better yet, how about sending it to me so i can post it and put it into
the ST archives....

--
Laissez les bons temps rouler                     -  Queen Ida
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

willi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Gary A Williams) (03/01/89)

Has anyone out there had any success running the version of uw from the
umich ARC site?  I can't seem to get it to work.  Thanks.

willi

scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Sean C. Kelly) (03/01/89)

I keep sending mail to the archive server at ssyx.UCSC.EDU, and it refuses
to send me the uw files, claiming that it can't find 'em anywhere in its
databases.  Yet I type in the requests just as it lists in the binaries

UW isn't the only thing I haven't been able to get from ssyx.  I've typed
in the sample file request listed in the help file for unix toolkit part 01,
only to have the server tell me it doesn't exist.

--
Sean Kelly                                  "I am not a number ...
scksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu                           I am a free man!"

schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) (08/08/90)

I know that lots of people have gotten uw to work on their systems,
but I haven't.  What do I need as far as systems to do it?

1.) Will it work with a color monitor?
2.) Will it work on a 512K Machine?
3.) Will it work without a hard drive?  (x2 DS/DD Drives)
4.) What EXACTLY is it useful for...?

Later...

--
Association for Computing Machinery, Chairperson  | schultzd@cpsin.cps.msu.edu
Case Center for Computer Aided Design, Consultant | schultzd@egr.msu.edu

In article <1990Aug8.155752.12968@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
>I know that lots of people have gotten uw to work on their systems,
>but I haven't.  What do I need as far as systems to do it?

>1.) Will it work with a color monitor?
No.

>2.) Will it work on a 512K Machine?
Probably, should be no trouble at all.

>3.) Will it work without a hard drive?  (x2 DS/DD Drives)
Sure, no problem.

>4.) What EXACTLY is it useful for...?
It's like a poor man's version of X. It multiplexes several tty sessions over
a single serial line. It's good for editing many files in many windows, using
vi on a host that doesn't have emacs. It's useful any time you want full
terminal access to multiple applications simultaneously.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (08/09/90)

[In article <1990Aug9.111433.5851@math.lsa.umich.edu>,
     hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes ... ]

> In article <1990Aug8.155752.12968@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
>>I know that lots of people have gotten uw to work on their systems,
>>but I haven't.  What do I need as far as systems to do it?
>
>>1.) Will it work with a color monitor?
> No.

I have used a version that was modified to run on a color machine.
But it's not very useful. I had difficulty reading most of the UW
fonts in color.

[...]

>>4.) What EXACTLY is it useful for...?
> It's like a poor man's version of X. It multiplexes several tty sessions over
> a single serial line. It's good for editing many files in many windows, using
> vi on a host that doesn't have emacs. It's useful any time you want full
> terminal access to multiple applications simultaneously.

There is an alternative: an application called "screens" that runs on
the Unix machine can let you "flip" among several virtual terminals
by using a hot key. With that alternative, you get a full screen
rather than windows, which can be an advantage in some applications.
However, you can't watch the output of multiple programs under
screens.

--
   Steve Yelvington at the (rain-replenished) lake in Minnesota
   steve@thelake.mn.org

scott@tab29.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich (ODU) ) (08/09/90)

   In article <1990Aug8.155752.12968@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
   >I know that lots of people have gotten uw to work on their systems,
   >but I haven't.  What do I need as far as systems to do it?

any atari st system.... as far as I know!
   >1.) Will it work with a color monitor?
   No.
Yes.  I have done it. Try a ``mono'' emulator and then only use either of the two largest
fonts.

   >2.) Will it work on a 512K Machine?
   Probably, should be no trouble at all.
Yes.

   >3.) Will it work without a hard drive?  (x2 DS/DD Drives)
   Sure, no problem.
Yes.

   >4.) What EXACTLY is it useful for...?
   It's like a poor man's version of X. It multiplexes several tty sessions over
   a single serial line. It's good for editing many files in many windows, using
   vi on a host that doesn't have emacs. It's useful any time you want full
   terminal access to multiple applications simultaneously.

It's great to play empire with your map in a window with a 4x7 or so font...
and have this other window... a 12x4 (or 80x4) with a HUGH font...

I mostly use it with either 4 80x24 4x7font windows...
or overlapping 4 80x24 ?x13 font windows...

The only problem is that is there is a LOT of stuff going to one window...
well, the others are lock.  In other words, don't monitor ACTIVE files...
like watchlogs.... or worse, get someone upset at you in IRC and have them
shove a file down your poor multiplexed session...  You will be locked up.

Scott

--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/

schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) (08/10/90)

Don't know how to change distribution of news from emacs, so I
apologize to you folks in Germany, Great Britain, Australia, New
Zealand, etc. for sending this to you.

Does anybody have the Unix side of uw for a Sun4 architecture?  Can
you uuencode it and mail it my way?

--
Case Center for Computer Aided Design, Consultant | schultzd@egr.msu.edu
Association for Computing Machinery, Chairperson  | schultzd@cpsin.cps.msu.edu
		    schenkerm@msg.uhamburg.edu ;^)
"My opinions are not always mine, let alone the ACM's or the Case Center's"

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (08/11/90)

In article <A1146754313@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve
Yelvington) writes:
> There is an alternative: an application called "screens" that runs on
> the Unix machine can let you "flip" among several virtual terminals
> by using a hot key. With that alternative, you get a full screen
> rather than windows, which can be an advantage in some applications.
> However, you can't watch the output of multiple programs under
> screens.

Yes, but the new screen will be downloaded at 1200 bauds...
Whereas all data in uw (or better: term) is kept local, so refresh is
instantaneous!

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window
Manager

be@nadia.stgt.sub.org (Bernd Ebach) (08/19/90)

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

>In article <A1146754313@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve
>Yelvington) writes:
>> There is an alternative: an application called "screens" that runs on
>> the Unix machine can let you "flip" among several virtual terminals
>> by using a hot key.

O.K. and where to get that stuff?

TschauTschau
		Bernd
Bernd Ebach     UUCP:     be@nadia.stgt.sub.org              be@nadia.UUCP

%>Yelvington) writes:
%>> There is an alternative: an application called "screens" that runs on
%>> the Unix machine can let you "flip" among several virtual terminals
%>> by using a hot key.

%O.K. and where to get that stuff?

%TschauTschau
%		Bernd

Both screen and uw require the BSD pseudo-tty and socket support. I
don't think anyone has reworked them for Sys V streams. You can go
ahead and try if you really want to.
--

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (08/21/90)

]%>Yelvington) writes:
]%>> There is an alternative: an application called "screens" that runs on
]%>> the Unix machine can let you "flip" among several virtual terminals
]%>> by using a hot key.
]Both screen and uw require the BSD pseudo-tty and socket support. I
]don't think anyone has reworked them for Sys V streams. You can go
]ahead and try if you really want to.

If that is the case, `screen' is pretty useless.  This functionality is
already built into csh (look up the %, fg and bg commands).  A program like
screen would be useful on something dumb like SysV, but it's a no-op on BSD.

SR
---

In article <5594@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) writes:
>In article <1990Aug20.180400.254@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu
>(Howard Chu) writes:
>]Both screen and uw require the BSD pseudo-tty and socket support. I
>]don't think anyone has reworked them for Sys V streams. You can go
>]ahead and try if you really want to.

>If that is the case, `screen' is pretty useless.  This functionality is
>already built into csh (look up the %, fg and bg commands).  A program like
>screen would be useful on something dumb like SysV, but it's a no-op on BSD.

Actually, in most cases I think screen is much more useful than uw. You
get the equivalent of an unlimited number of virtual CRTs. The program
uses curses to update the physical screen, and each task gets its own
virtual screen. Jobs running in hidden screens have their output buffered
until you select the appropriate screen. Unlike job control in the C shell,
which lets you spawn off multiple jobs from a single control terminal, all
demanding their input and spewing their output all over your CRT, screen
lets you spawn off shells, tip, telnet, or whatever program you want, each
with its own pseudo-tty as a control terminal. It's an incredibly useful
and flexible program. One feature I love is that you can detach a session,
and reattach it a later time *from anywhere else*. I can dial up from home,
start up screen, telnet to various places, start up long ftp sessions, etc.,
then detach and logout. Then I can hang up, do other work, go to my office,
whatever, and login to the screen host and reattach the sessions. Once you've
used this feature you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. (Especially
since this is a common feature of VMS...)

Since uw multiplexes all window output over the serial line simultaneously,
having lots of active windows will slow down performance on the current
window, and a particularly chatty session can grind everything else to a halt.
With screen, everything goes to its own screen buffer, and physical screen
updating always occurs at full speed. Hit a hot key to flip to another
window, and whatever needs to be redrawn is drawn, and you're there. Very nice.
Also, uw only provides adm-3 emulation, screen provides full ANSI X3.64 (vt100)
emulation. (Using termcap - it'll take advantage of nearly any feature you
can list in your physical terminal's termcap entry.)

[Are you convinced yet?]

It goes far beyond the job control of the C shell...

--

rob@raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (08/22/90)

Carriere) writes:
>>If [screen only works on BSD], [it] is pretty useless.  This functionality is
>>already built into csh (look up the %, fg and bg commands).  A program like
>>screen would be useful on something dumb like SysV, but it's a no-op on BSD.
>[glowing description of screen]
>[Are you convinced yet?]

Quite.  Either the original description failed to mention the good stuff, or I
wasn't reading it right, but what I see described to me now (hi, Rich! :-) is
indeed worthwhile.

I don't know if I'd call it better than uw, but I am aware that my computer
usage patterns are somewhat strange...

SR
---

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug20.180400.254@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Both screen and uw require the BSD pseudo-tty and socket support. I
>don't think anyone has reworked them for Sys V streams. You can go
>ahead and try if you really want to.
>--
>  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
>  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip
>	if one of those data bits happens to flip,
>		one million data bits stored on the chip...

A pty driver for Xenix (with System V roots) was posted to
comp.sources.misc in March 1989.  This might be a start!
--
Tom Poage, Clinical Engineering
Universiy of California, Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

be@nadia.stgt.sub.org (Bernd Ebach) (08/22/90)

hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>Both screen and uw require the BSD pseudo-tty and socket support. I
>don't think anyone has reworked them for Sys V streams. You can go
>ahead and try if you really want to.
>		one million data bits stored on the chip...
No thanx... :-) Since I'm definitly not what you would call a *nix-
wizard, I see no chance of getting the stuff work :-) 2nd problem
is - I have no longterm local access to a *nix-computer... patching
300k with 2400 Baud would be a little bit - let's say _boring_...

But if there's any soul reading this who has done this, or who knows
where to get it ... pleeezzz tell me :-)