[comp.sys.atari.st] Bash on the ST again

joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) (08/21/90)

Was there ever a final discusion on where (if) bash can be
found in the USA?

I have a dream.....Picture this....
	Bash is aware of rtx and allows pipes and background
	jobs when it sees '.ttp or .tos'.  Ahh to dream.

Joe
ps.  Since this will probably remain a gream, can anyone
send me the going price for MT-Csh.  If it's close to what I
remember I still can't afford it...oh well.

tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) (08/21/90)

In article <5589@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) writes:

> Was there ever a final discusion on where (if) bash can be
> found in the USA?

I just put a copy of BASH in the atari/new directory at terminator (or
whatever it's called now...the Internet address is : 35.1.33.8).  It is
called BASH.ZOO and is c. 520K.

Hope this helps someone out.

----------
--
Timothy A. Roeder - Northern Arizona University(NAU)/Univeristy of Arizona(UA)
UUCP: ...!arizona!naucse!tar (NAU)

In article <5589@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) writes:
>Was there ever a final discusion on where (if) bash can be
>found in the USA?
>
>I have a dream.....Picture this....
>	Bash is aware of rtx and allows pipes and background
>	jobs when it sees '.ttp or .tos'.  Ahh to dream.
>
>Joe
>ps.  Since this will probably remain a gream, can anyone
>send me the going price for MT-Csh.  If it's close to what I
>remember I still can't afford it...oh well.

In fact, I have been working on this very thing. The only thing I'm
stumbling over right now is implementing a good signal() suite.
Pipes and background jobs are a piece of cake, RTX is really good
for this sort of stuff. (I have another problem, regarding fork, but
I think I have a workaround now...)

Also, allowing pipes or background jobs doesn't depend on the filename
extension. Many .prg's seem to be meant to be run from a CLI. The shell
will set up descriptors 0, 1, & 2 as specified by the command line, and
then it's up to the run-time startup code in the executable file whether
or not to pay attention to any of it.

One other problem is that once you have this sort of shell running,
you really need the equivalent of the ps command to help keep
track of what's going on in your system. I'm still trying to figure
this out, probably going to try using the same scheme that MT-Csh
uses. (Which I suppose is the best solution anyway, since that will
provide compatibility with a few other MT-C tools as well.) But
that leaves me with duplicating David Beckemeyer's efforts, since he's
already written a perfectly good ps program in his MT-C package. Doesn't
seem all that worthwhile. Sigh.

It's all well and good to bring up GNU utilities on a running Unix
system, but trying to add them a piece at a time to the ST shows you
just how much is lacking in the ST's OS. Getting a good environment
set up takes a lot of groundwork, even given a good kernel (such as
Micro-RTX).
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (08/22/90)

In article <5589@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) writes:
>I have a dream.....Picture this....
>	Bash is aware of rtx and allows pipes and background
>	jobs when it sees '.ttp or .tos'.  Ahh to dream.

pipes do not need multitasking. a pipe stream (like "ls -l | grep ttp")
must be done serially (the "ls" must occur before the "grep"). job control
and "&" jobs, on the other hand, would be very nice indeed.

on a related note, what, if any, scheduling options are available with RTX?
is there any sort of priority scheme?

note that the bash described at the site in .de (germany) is source only.
(at least when i checked 8-10 days ago). i don't have room on my 60MB hd
for gcc (yet) :-( so it would be REALLY nice to have a .ttp there (or
posted).

-bill
rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar &) (08/22/90)

In article <105210@convex.convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:

> note that the bash described at the site in .de (germany) is source only.
> (at least when i checked 8-10 days ago). i don't have room on my 60MB hd
> for gcc (yet) :-( so it would be REALLY nice to have a .ttp there (or
> posted).

The binary of bash can be found in directory ~ftp/atari/bin on
cs.uni-sb.de [134.96.7.254]. Although it does not have the .ttp
extension, it is executable. The binary is packed with the
pack-program posted in comp.binaries some time ago. The real code size
is ~250 kB.

Earlier you wrote:
> pipes do not need multitasking. a pipe stream (like "ls -l | grep ttp")
> must be done serially (the "ls" must occur before the "grep"). job control
> and "&" jobs, on the other hand, would be very nice indeed.

This port can do pipes without multitasking. The example above is
translated into:
	ls -l > {temporary filename} ; grep ttp < {temporary filename}
But pipes don't have to be done serially. They are better done in
parallel.

I cannot resist the temptation: even job control can be done without a
multitasking kernel. The shell Master (demo posted on comp.binaries
and also available on cs.uni-sb.de in file ~ftp/atari/shell/master.lzh)
can do pipes and job-control (meaning: stop jobs, list them with the
"jobs"-command, kill them with "kill" and restart them in any order
with "%{Job-Id}") without multitasking.

	- Edgar

tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) (08/23/90)

In article <ROEDER.90Aug22173228@robin.cs.uni-sb.de>, roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar &) writes:
> In article <105210@convex.convex.com> rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) writes:
>
> The binary of bash can be found in directory ~ftp/atari/bin on
> cs.uni-sb.de [134.96.7.254]. Although it does not have the .ttp
> extension, it is executable. The binary is packed with the
> pack-program posted in comp.binaries some time ago. The real code size
> is ~250 kB.

The binary of bash is now also at Terminator (make that, Atari Archive
-- 35.1.33.8).

It is called "bash-bin.lzh" and is approximately 118K.

Regards,