[comp.sys.atari.st] Is there an X-Client for the ST?

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (08/06/90)

Hi,

I havn't been keeping up with the ST worl lately.  Has anyone ported
the client side of X to the atari ST?  In particular the 1040?

Thanks,
Phil
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) (08/09/90)

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:

>Hi,

>I havn't been keeping up with the ST worl lately.  Has anyone ported
>the client side of X to the atari ST?  In particular the 1040?

>Phil

Hi Phil !
 I once heard about such a thing named X/ST/Window or something
 like this, but I never could get some info on that.

 Perhaps someone out here can help us, as I'm looking for an X
 client for the ST, too.

 Help would be appreciated

  MfG
    Roberto

--
please contact ( no commercials please )
* Roberto Armenti    *   Voice   *  For E-Mail                  * On IRC

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (08/09/90)

In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:
>paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
>

>>Hi,
>
>>I havn't been keeping up with the ST worl lately.  Has anyone ported
>>the client side of X to the atari ST?  In particular the 1040?
>
>>Phil
>
>Hi Phil !
> I once heard about such a thing named X/ST/Window or something
> like this, but I never could get some info on that.
>
> Perhaps someone out here can help us, as I'm looking for an X
> client for the ST, too.

There are dozens of "clients" which come with the MIT X distribution.  Perhaps
you meant to ask whether anyone ported the X server to the ST?
I, too, asked this question some time ago, but got no answer (well, I seem
to recall someone in Germany mentioning that he/she was working on a server
port -- but don't know what came of it.)

It would be interesting to see an X port on an unmodified ST.  You almost
_need_ multi-tasking to run the X Server and a reasonable number
of  X clients - although, I suppose with creativity, you could run the
server as an "accessory" and a single X client from the desktop.

If you intend on using the ST as an "X Terminal" (ie. just run the X server),
your server would have to know either SLIP (serial line Internet Protocol)
if you connect another machine running X clients via the ST's serial port
_or_ TCP/IP if you can find an ethernet board for the ST.
In either case, you need at least one other machine to do anything useful.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
+-------------------------------------+

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (08/09/90)

In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:

    I once heard about such a thing named X/ST/Window or something
    like this, but I never could get some info on that.

    Perhaps someone out here can help us, as I'm looking for an X
    client for the ST, too.

About two month ago I talked with a guy from X-Computer (a local Atari
dealer). He told me he had seen a X-Windows emulator for ST in C-Bit.
It was run in 2Meg and was written in Germany.

Timo
--
Timo Suhonen         I am logged in, therefore I am             suhonen@jyu.fi
                                                        suhonen@funic.funet.fi

spa@fctunl.rccn.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (08/10/90)

on 8 Aug 90 20:36:25 GMT,
roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) said:

Roberto> paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
			[...]
>I havn't been keeping up with the ST worl lately.  Has anyone ported
>the client side of X to the atari ST?  In particular the 1040?
			[...]

You mean, an X *SERVER*? To run X clients on an ST would only make
sense with a multitasking kernel with some form of IPC, and would have
as a prerequisite a running X server on the ST.

Roberto> Hi Phil !
Roberto>  I once heard about such a thing named X/ST/Window or something
Roberto>  like this, but I never could get some info on that.

If you do hear something more, please let me know.

Roberto>  Perhaps someone out here can help us, as I'm looking for an X
Roberto>  client for the ST, too.

Roberto>  Help would be appreciated

What I'd really like to see is an X Server that could run over a
serial line to a Unix host.

Roberto>   MfG
Roberto>     Roberto

/.salvador
--
---
Salvador Pinto Abreu	              BITNET/Internet: spa@fctunl.rccn.pt
 |   Departamento de Informatica   +----------------------------------+
 |   Universidade Nova de Lisboa      2825 Monte Caparica, PORTUGAL   |

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (08/10/90)

In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:
>paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
>>Has anyone ported the client side of X to the atari ST?
> I'm looking for an X client for the ST, too.

I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
server.

Note that (I think) it'd be possible to implement an X server on the ST without
the use of any multitasking system; since all it needs to do is listen for
requests from somewhere (presumably a UNIX or similar system on the other end
of a SLIP or Ethernet connection) it's the only thing that needs to run.

Finally, unless you do have Ethernet or some other reasonable-speed network
connection to your ST, you are NOT going to want to run X.  Even at 19200 baud,
you'd find the system intolerably slow if you went through the serial port.
Not that it wouldn't be a neat hack, but without some major compression or
network hardware, an X server on the ST would be pretty useless.

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ebay.sun.com	...!sun!ebay!koreth

klute@heike-fbi.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (08/10/90)

In article <roarment.650147785@faui09>,
roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:
> I once heard about such a thing named X/ST/Window or something
> like this, but I never could get some info on that.

Some months ago I asked Atari Germany about X/ST/window. They sent me a
high glossing paper with some info. In short:

- X/ST/window is an X server for Atari ST, TT and ATW.

- The whole X Window System runs on Atari TT under ATX and on Atari STW
  under Helios.

- X/ST/window bases on X/ST/multi, "a multitasking operating system which
  is totally compatible with the TOS of the Atari ST" (literal
  translation from German). It allows discoupling of the time critical
  protocol processes from the graphical software.

- The ST monitor acts as a window and shows only a part of a virtual
  screen. The dimensions of this virtual screen is limited by memory
  only.

- Network access is done via TCP/IP.

Ah yes, and then they said it would be available at special computer stores
by end of June 1990. Hmm, actually they said "90", not "1990". They don't
mean 2090, do they? :-)

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) (08/20/90)

/ hpbbi4:comp.sys.atari.st / koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) /  1:25 am  Aug 10, 1990 /
In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:

> I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
> is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
> screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
> server.

No, the vice versa is true.
The SERVER run the program
The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.

Stefan

ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (08/20/90)

I noticed in your article that you don't think that an X server on the ST
would work over a modem.  Why not?  Have you seen the X-terminals that are
widely available?  They use a Sun4 as the host, and they have
optimized the transmission lines.

If you look at the MIT distribution of X11, you'd see that it is based
on a small set of primitives.  These primitives are basically
rasterops.  Sunview is designed on the same set of primitives.
However, it is designed to run on Un*x, so it can simple check that
the device supports PIXRECT primitives.  If so, you can run Sunview on
it.  I think that a very similiar approach could be used for X11.

Create a version of X11 that runs on Suns using PIXRECT primitives.
Then, one would have to write a transmission layer for the modem.  I
have several ideas on this.  The simplest is to transmit the rasterop
codes over the modem.  A more complex (but faster?) method may be to
use an aggressive screen update algorithm for rasterops, like what
emacs does with text.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this would be fast, but I think it
would work.  The X-terminals certainly work.

Eric

--
Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (08/21/90)

From article <510009@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM>, by stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert):
> / hpbbi4:comp.sys.atari.st / koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) /  1:25 am  Aug 10, 1990 /
> In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:
>
>> I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
>> is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
>> screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
>> server.
>
> No, the vice versa is true.
> The SERVER run the program
> The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.
>
> Stefan

The original poster (Roberto?) is correct.  Under the X Window system,
the X Server receives requests (drawing primitives, event-notification, etc.)
from X clients.  Based on these requests, it handles the device-dependent
aspect of the X window system (drawing to the physical screen(s), accepting
inputs from mice, keyboards,etc.).  Clients, on the other hand, receive events
from the server notifying them when they should repaint their window(s),
when the user hit the keyboard, moved or clicked on the mouse, etc.

/dev/tom

--

From article <1990Aug20.163330.17619@agate.berkeley.edu>, by ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu:

> I noticed in your article that you don't think that an X server on the ST
> would work over a modem.  Why not?  Have you seen the X-terminals that are
> widely available?  They use a Sun4 as the host, and they have
> optimized the transmission lines.

Hm.  The only X-terminal I have seen to work reasonably well over serial
lines were those from GraphOn.  I believe they used some data compression
techniques to get their results.
Most X-terminals work because they're connected to hosts via a high-bandwidth
Ethernet.  Those X-terminals supporting SLIP (serial-line IP) don't seem
to run reasonably fast over regular phone lines (ie. 1200-19200bps),
especially when you have multiple clients running.

> If you look at the MIT distribution of X11, you'd see that it is based
> on a small set of primitives.  These primitives are basically
> rasterops.  Sunview is designed on the same set of primitives.
> However, it is designed to run on Un*x, so it can simple check that
> the device supports PIXRECT primitives.  If so, you can run Sunview on
> it.  I think that a very similiar approach could be used for X11.
>
> Create a version of X11 that runs on Suns using PIXRECT primitives.
> Then, one would have to write a transmission layer for the modem.  I
> have several ideas on this.  The simplest is to transmit the rasterop
> codes over the modem.  A more complex (but faster?) method may be to
> use an aggressive screen update algorithm for rasterops, like what
> emacs does with text.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't think this would be fast, but I think it
> would work.  The X-terminals certainly work.
> Eric
> ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

There are several ways of optimizing the transmission of primitives over
slow media.  They all have the same "side-effect":  they eliminate X
Window's greatest plus (in my opinion) - being able to run _any_ remote X
client on a network on your local X Server.  Once you start optimizing (ie.
coming up with your own transmission layer, using non-standard/compressed
events, etc.), you're tied to a single host and/or single set of clients
which "speak" this language.

Mind you, I'm not trying to discourage you from writing an API that is
Xlib compatible and works great over serial lines...I have a Sun at work
and an ST at home and could make use of such a beast :-)

Tom

--

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (08/21/90)

In article <510009@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM>, stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan
Bachert) writes:
|> The SERVER run the program
|> The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.

I don't know where you got *that* knowledge from. I suggest you go and buy
some introductory book about the X Window System :-).

--

In article <1990Aug20.163330.17619@agate.berkeley.edu>,
ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu writes:
|> I noticed in your article that you don't think that an X server on the
ST
|> would work over a modem.  Why not?  Have you seen the X-terminals that
are
|> widely available?  They use a Sun4 as the host, and they have
|> optimized the transmission lines.

Of course X will work over a modem. There's the SLIP package allowing it to
do so. The problem is whether *you* will be able to work with it. Users
expect reasonable response times today.

--

stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) (08/21/90)

/ hpbbi4:comp.sys.atari.st / stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) / 10:19 am  Aug 20, 1990 /
/ hpbbi4:comp.sys.atari.st / koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) /  1:25 am  Aug 10, 1990 /

>> I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
>> is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
>> screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
>> server.

>No, the vice versa is true.
>The SERVER run the program
>The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.

I have to correct myself. I was told the X Manual stated the opposite.
So Steven Grimm was correct.

Anyway this name convention isn't intuive.
In general a server offers a service. A client uses this services.
(Think in fileservers, diskless cluster, ..)
X Manual thinks SERVER as offering a DISPLAY.
As user I am thinking in cpu-power, compiling, calculating, wordprocessing.
In X convention any dump terminal at any computer is a DISPLAY-SERVER
while the computer itself is its CLIENT.

So I am not glad about that convention.
But convention doesn't need to be senseful or intelligent.

Thank you for correcting me

Stefan

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (08/22/90)

In article <510010@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM>, stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan
Bachert) writes:
(re X client/server)

|> Anyway this name convention isn't intuive.
|> In general a server offers a service. A client uses this services.
|> (Think in fileservers, diskless cluster, ..)

Here's how I try to get it across when I do X presentations.

In the traditional client/server paradigm, the client is the program
that has the actual application smarts.  The server is just the dumb
part.  Think of a database server; it doesn't initiate any useful
computing.  It simply does what the client tells it to, request by
request.

Similarly with the X server.  It's dumb; it's a slave.  It accepts
drawing requests from the client program and input events from the
user and does what it's told, usually without any information about
the purpose of the application being executed.

Unfortunately our earlier experiences have led us to think of the
client
as closely identified with the human, and the server as over there
somewhere in another room (or another country).  That's why the X
paradigm *feels* backwards; the server is always under the user's
nose, and the client could well be on Mars (requiring a longer
WM_TIMEOUT value :-).

Having said all that, it usually takes a couple of months for new X
people to get comfortable with the nomenclature; mistakes are usually
forgiven...
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

dag@gorgon.uucp (Daniel A. Glasser) (08/23/90)

In article <510009@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM> stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) writes:
>/ hpbbi4:comp.sys.atari.st / koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) /  1:25 am  Aug 10, 1990 /
>In article <roarment.650147785@faui09> roarment@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roberto Armenti) writes:
>
>> I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
>> is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
>> screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
>> server.
>
>No, the vice versa is true.
>The SERVER run the program
>The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.
>
>Stefan

No, Steven Grimm is correct.

In the terminology used by the X window system, a "Server" provides a service
to "Client" applications.  The display is controlled by a "Server" process.
The "Client" is an application which may run on the same machine or over a
network.

This may sound backward to those not initiated, but it actually makes a lot
of sense.  Consider that a single X windows server can have multiple clients
accessing it at once.  This is, in fact, the usual case, since the window
manager is a client application as is whatever application that may be
in direct use by the user.  It is true that a single client application
may use connect to several servers, but this is not very common.

Enough said.  End of thread.

				Daniel A. Glasser
--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon@persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.

pfuetz@viktoria.grz (Matthias Pfuetzner) (08/23/90)

Hallo!

I  do not believe  that all that  discussion about  which  part is the
client and  which  is  to be called  the  server answers the  question
indicated in the subject line! So let's try to answer whether there is
any  Xserver (Xatari? compared to Xapollo,  Xsun,  etc.) available for
the Atari ST series.

Atari Germany is  selling such a thing!  Don't ask me things about the
performance, the prices, the requirements etc. Just call Mr. Mester at
Atari Germany,  Frankfurter Strasse 89-91,  D-6096 Raunheim, Fed. Rep.
of Germany , Tel.:  +49 6142 2090.  They  are showing it on  the Atari
exhibition in Koeln   (Cologne) and he  will be  back in  Raunheim  on
Monday.  This is a  product   develloped by a  little softwarehouse in
Bavaria (near Munich) and it is available  since this exibition (now).
So  there are up  to now  nearly no  persons who  can  give answers to
questions concering this piece of software.

Sincerly,
	Matthias
            @work:            | Matthias Pfuetzner  |         @home:
  ZGDV, Wilhelminenstrasse 7  | 6100 Darmstadt, FRG |  Lichtenbergstrasse 73
    +49 6151 155-164 or -101  \    <- Tel.nr. ->    /     +49 6151 75717
   pfuetzner@agd.fhg.de    pfuetzner@zgdvda.UUCP    XBR1YD3U@DDATHD21.BITNET

swen@uni-paderborn.de (Swen Thuemmler) (08/24/90)

In article <510009@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM> stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) writes:

   > I can't help, but I think you both mean "server," not "client."  An X server
   > is the program which accepts drawing commands and puts a display up on your
   > screen.  X clients are the programs which send the drawing commands to the
   > server.

Stefan>    No, the vice versa is true.
Stefan>    The SERVER run the program
Stefan>    The CLIENT is just the DISPLAY.

Stefan>    Stefan

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The SERVER ist the program which
controls the physical display of your machine, i.e. Xsun or Xhp are
Servers.

The CLIENT is the program which sends protocol messages to the server,
requesting drawing and such, i.e. xdbx, xterm, xclock, twm, ... are
clients.

Regards,
	  Swen

---->  Swen Thuemmler  *  X-Betreuung  *  <swen@uni-paderborn.de>  <----x-window