[comp.sys.atari.st] Problem: DA memory allocation by TOS ... heavy consumption

moses@hao.ucar.edu (Julie Moses) (08/24/90)

   I have created a relatively large desk accessory program for the ST
using GFA BASIC, and the problem I am having is that TOS is allocating
twice as much memory as is needed for the accessory.
   Adding up the executable file header information and also the
Malloc calls, used for buffers, to get a total memory requirement and
also having used as few global variables as possible, there is a memory
requirement of ~170 Kbytes. But TOS is handing over 325 Kbytes of memory
to the desk accessory.

IS THERE A WAY TO REDUCE MY D.A.s MEMORY CONSUMPTION? TOS AUTOMATICALLY
SHRINKS MEMORY FOR EACH D.A. BUT APPEARS TO DO A POOR JOB OF IT.

Thanks for the help.

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (08/24/90)

In article <8317@ncar.ucar.edu>, moses@hao.ucar.edu (Julie Moses) writes:
> IS THERE A WAY TO REDUCE MY D.A.s MEMORY CONSUMPTION? TOS AUTOMATICALLY
> SHRINKS MEMORY FOR EACH D.A. BUT APPEARS TO DO A POOR JOB OF IT.
>
> Thanks for the help.

The Mshrink() system call will work just fine on memory allocated for
a D.A.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca