[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drives with Removable Media

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (08/04/90)

In the most recent Computer Shopper there are several places where
a Syquest 44Meg 20ms cartdridge drive is advertised for < $600.
It's a SCSI device and I've got a BMS card, so I should be able
to hook it up to my ST, right?

The only concern I have is that I'm not sure how the ST will
react to changing the cartridge in the Syquest.  Is "media changed"
a SCSI command/message?  If so, will the BMS (or PD ICD) driver
recognize the change?  Or will I have to reboot to load a new
cartridge?  The same goes for formatting -- will the BMS software
know how to format a cartridge?

Does Toad Computers supply special software to run their Toadfile 44?

Thanks all,

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

PS> I'm not affiliated with Syquest or Toad.  Haven't even bought anything
    from either yet...

klute@heike-fbi.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug4.130418.16370@wam.umd.edu>, dmb@wam.umd.edu (David
M. Baggett) writes:
>The only concern I have is that I'm not sure how the ST will
>react to changing the cartridge in the Syquest.  Is "media changed"
>a SCSI command/message?  If so, will the BMS (or PD ICD) driver
>recognize the change?  Or will I have to reboot to load a new
>cartridge?  The same goes for formatting -- will the BMS software
>know how to format a cartridge?

I have a Megafile 44 which I can comment on: If I change the cartridge a
media change is recognized. However, I can continue working with the new
cartridge only if it is partitioned the same way as the boot cartridge.
If the partitions have different sizes a reboot must be done.

  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (08/13/90)

In article <2361@laura.UUCP> klute@heike-fbi.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
| However, I can continue working with the new
| cartridge only if it is partitioned the same way as the boot cartridge.
| If the partitions have different sizes a reboot must be done.

Is this because your Megafile 44 is your only hard disk on your ST?
Does the problem still exist if you boot from your floppy drive?

Cheers to all,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (08/17/90)

In article <RALPH.90Aug13151300@orion.laas.fr>, ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P.
Sobek) writes:
|> In article <2361@laura.UUCP> klute@heike-fbi.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
(Rainer Klute) writes:
|> | However, I can continue working with the new
|> | cartridge only if it is partitioned the same way as the boot
cartridge.
|> | If the partitions have different sizes a reboot must be done.
|>
|> Is this because your Megafile 44 is your only hard disk on your ST?
|> Does the problem still exist if you boot from your floppy drive?

I asked someone from Atari Germany about that and he told me that the TOS
reads the partitioning of a hard disk *once* upon startup and puts it into
a certain data structure. (I don't have the name at hand - was it BPB?)
This is of course sufficient for "normal" hard drives which don't change
their partitioning on the fly.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

jimmy@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James G Tauberg) (08/18/90)

There has been talk that with the Megafile 44 one can not swap disks
with different size partitions without a reboot.

I do not know if this is true, nor do I know the solution...

I can tell you this, I have a SyQuest mechanism connected to my ST with
an ICD Advantage Plus host adapter.  With the ICD BOOT software I am
able to swap disks with different partition sizes... no problem.

If you can not find another solution to your problem, and really need
this capability, I suggest buying the ICD Adv+.  It is around $100 and
comes with a battery backed clock & software to get/change time (use it
in the Auto folder).  There are also a bunch of neat utilities included.

I have no offiliation with ICD, except that I am a satisfied customer.

Jim Tauberg

rughoeft@fokus.berlin.gmd.dbp.de (Stefan W. Rughoeft) (08/20/90)

Hi out there !

I'm posting this to 'world' even if i mention a german product, because
i think there are connections for getting german stuff at least by
mail-order even from "outer space" :-).

[longish text follows, so nothing quoted]
hit 'n' NOW, if you are satisfied with yout HD driver

I use the HD driver CBHD of Claus Brod which comes with the
"SCHEIBENKLEISTER II", a pretty good (german written) book about many
flavour of storage media.
The main aspect of the book are floppy disks, harddisks and their
management under TOS, but there are also chapters about tape drives and
cd-roms.
On the disk contained in the book, which costs 79,-DM (~30 $), you find
not only the HD driver but also a _MIGHTY_ sector editor (Floppy and HD!),
a track editor (Floppy only :-), format utilities, copy protection code,
HD benchmarks et caetera.
But first there are CBHD and CBHDINST.ACC !
CBHD serves at most 7 Controllers with each two drives (standard SH20X,
MF30/60), or up to 7 real SCSI drives at hostadapters.
I have two SCSI drives (Syquest and FUJITSU MF2613 130 MB) in the MF44-case,
but I had to replace the ATARI SCSI hostadapter of the MF44 because of
problems with timing and reset conditions between hostadpater and FUJITSU.
Therefor i used a "GE-SOFT III" hostadapter of, you guessed it :-) the
german company GE-SOFT.
When you remove a cartridge, and insert a new one, CBHD drops it's info
and forces GEMDOS to do so as well.
The result is, that the next HD access reads in the information for BOTH
HD's. The only inconvenience (i think it is a bug and no feature) is,
that for each partition you access CBHD reads the info again until you
have accessed all available partitions.
So it can be done !
BTW: CBHD's first version was a rework/reimplementatin of AHDI 1.X.

CBHD offers you until now only a partitioning scheme (14 partition each HD)
similiar to SUPRA. Since Claus just makes his diploma he has had no time
to officially add HDX 3.X extended partions :-(. (Good Luck ! :-)
The accessory lets you write protect partitions, select where CBHD should
load AUTO, ACC and DESKTOP.INF from, extend GEMDOS-buffers, map out
partitions, ship, view HD statistic and force a media change.
While i have still MINIX 1.1 with three partitions hd2-hd4 on the HD, so
up to now i couldn't use HDX 3.X scheme.

Ok, enough for today, my news-quota is already exceeded :-)

Ciao, HuGo

               I'm not affiliated with Claus Brod,
            just a satisfied user of Book and Software.

--
X.400:  <S=rughoeft,OU=fokus,OU=berlin,P=gmd,A=dbp,C=de> # FROM NetNews IMPORT
RFC822: rughoeft@fokus.berlin.gmd.dbp.de                 # Disclaimer,  (*:-)*)

ALBERT_DAYES@bdt.UUCP (08/22/90)

Is this book available in an English translation ... if it is do you know
 what company is distributing it??

 re: Claus Brod book "SCHEIBENKLEISTER II" and accompaning software.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (08/26/90)

In article <29349@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jimmy@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James G Tauberg) writes:

 | There has been talk that with the Megafile 44 one can not swap disks
 | with different size partitions without a reboot.
 |
 | I do not know if this is true, nor do I know the solution...
 |
 | I can tell you this, I have a SyQuest mechanism connected to my ST with
 | an ICD Advantage Plus host adapter.  With the ICD BOOT software I am
 | able to swap disks with different partition sizes... no problem.

At the show held in Toronto earlier this year, the Canadian importer
of ICD products mentioned this as a nice feature of the ICD adapter.
He said it more bluntly, (and maybe incorrectly):  that changing disks
in a drive connected with the competitors adaptor would cause the system
to crash.