[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari stock

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (10/22/87)

I hope everybody bought into Atari stock on Tuesday...I told myself I would
never buy any stock again (after watching my investments dwindle on the only
previous stocks I had ever purchased...Trilogy, ComputerVision, CPT, and
ZYCAD). After I heard the market was going nuts on Monday, I started watching
Atari Stock on Tuesday and bought some for $5/share! It actually went below
$5 but the brokers were running several hours behind on orders...I figured
that Atari has to be announcing something snazzy at COMDEX which will move
the prices back up (even a good XMas would do it.)  What amazed me about the
Atari stock drop is that I didn't know that there were all that many
'institutional' owners of Atari stock (I doubt that the small investors
would have panicked over Atari that much...unless they have been reading
usenet lately...or have even had the time to panic). The only other thought
that comes to mind is that the Trameils may have sold on the way down (causing
further drops) and then bought again when it bottommed out...Any thoughts from
those of you more knowledgable on the Stock Market?

  -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP

P.S. Atari Stock closed on Tuesday at $7, but my wife didn't fall for my
     argument that it would be only natural to use the profits to buy a
     Mega...hmm...A Mega->Amega->Amiga...nah...cooincidence.

Jon.Webb@cs.cmu.edu (06/12/89)

Does anyone know what's going on with Atari stock?  I bought some a few months
ago, thinking that if the PC Folio was as good as it appeared to be I'd be
able to afford one with my earnings, and it looks like my strategy is
really beinning to succeed.  Atari stock rose 7/8th of a point
both Thursday and Friday, not back considering it was at something like
6 1/4 Wednesday, and it was the third most actively traded stock on the
American Stock exchange this week.

My speculations; one of the following is happening:
1) A takeover is in progress.
2) The Federated legal situation was settled in Atari's favor.
3) Ditto for the Nintendo lawsuit.
4) Some major corporation or distributor purchased a whole lot of PC
   Folios.
5) Some stockbroker or person in a position of influence in the market
   saw the PC Folio, and maybe the Stacy, and is telling everyone to buy
   Atari.

-- J

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (06/13/89)

I won't comment on any of the rumours proposed by the author of the
article to which I reply here, but Atari's excellent performance in
the past few days is doubtless a result of excitement caused by the
display of our new products at CES: Portfolio and the new handheld
networkable color game system caused quite a stir!

(* how's that for a sentence :^> *)

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) (06/14/89)

A good part of the reason for the upswing in the stock is due to great
reviews on the handheld game shown at CES that basically appears to have
blown Nintendo's socks off.

It was down 1/8 yesterday, but I think it's probably going to be going
higher on the whole.  Get while the gettin's good.

(I would put a disclaimer on this, but I own a small bit of stock also,
so I sure don't mind seeing it go up. :-)

stowe@silver.indiana.bacs.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (06/14/89)

The stock market being as stupid as it is, the major reason behind
the rise of Atari stock and its activity is the introduction of Atari's
hand held color game system.  Sigh.  Heaven forbid that the world
notice our computers!

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

Jon.Webb@cs.cmu.edu (06/26/89)

Well, it seems the most likely explanation for the recent rise in Atari
stock is interest in Atari's forthcoming products.  To me, this is too
simple and pure; of course, if a company is introducing some new good
products, you should buy their stock.  In the age of debt-ridden
takeovers, it's nice to see a company do well because of its products.

We can expect the stock to continue to rise.  A friend of mine told me
that his stockbroker recommended that he run out and buy Atari stock
this morning because of the new products.  The stockbroker claimed Atari
will be selling at 20 or so in a year.  If stockbrokers in Pittsburgh
have heard about this, you can expect that a lot of stockbrokers are
recommending this to their clients.

-- J

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (06/27/89)

In article <wYdXuMy00jukIW3ldi@cs.cmu.edu> Jon.Webb@cs.cmu.edu writes:
>Well, it seems the most likely explanation for the recent rise in Atari
>stock is interest in Atari's forthcoming products.  To me, this is too
>simple and pure; of course, if a company is introducing some new good
>products, you should buy their stock.  In the age of debt-ridden
>takeovers, it's nice to see a company do well because of its products.
>
>We can expect the stock to continue to rise.  A friend of mine told me
>that his stockbroker recommended that he run out and buy Atari stock
>this morning because of the new products.  The stockbroker claimed Atari
>will be selling at 20 or so in a year.  If stockbrokers in Pittsburgh
>have heard about this, you can expect that a lot of stockbrokers are
>recommending this to their clients.
>
>-- J

With the current economic conditions and state of the computer market I
highly doubt Atari stock will ever trade at $20.  Gone are the days of the
Tramiels boosting the stock price up.  Face it, Atari is just not
competitive in the north american market, and I don't think european sale
will reflect US stock prices.  I'd sell at $9.00 (if it ever gets there)
before the recession hits.
/leonard

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (06/28/89)

Hi Leonard, it hit $9/share today!  <grin>

One point of note, a recent article in the Wall Street Journal noted
that many small American companies are rushing to get into the
European market before the Common Market becomes one unit in 1992,
since Atari is already solidly entrenched in the European market...
makes it a *very* attractive stock from that perspective.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/17/90)

Well, I'll keep it short and sweet... :-)

It is interesting to note that the EPS (earnings per share) for Atari
Corp. has increased 3-4 times compared to what it was before the latest
earnings report.  However, the value of the stock has continued to
slide.  Interesting...

Chris (that guy from New York) Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/22/90)

Atari stock is now hovering just above $4/share.  It has lost ~20% of
its value in the last week or so.  This is about 2 times what the
overal Dow has lost since Aug. 2.

Draw your own conclusions.

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (08/22/90)

From article <CMM.0.88.651265395.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz):
> Atari stock is now hovering just above $4/share.  It has lost ~20% of
> its value in the last week or so.  This is about 2 times what the
> overal Dow has lost since Aug. 2.

I have noticed this as well and I must admit I am a little puzzled.  Another
poster mentioned that Atari just recently payed _record_ dividends of
$.05/share (not really sure about the exact number).  Anyone have
an explanation?

/dev/tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
+-------------------------------------+

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (08/22/90)

In article <CMM.0.88.651265395.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> Atari stock is now hovering just above $4/share.  It has lost ~20% of
> its value in the last week or so.  This is about 2 times what the
> overal Dow has lost since Aug. 2.
>
> Draw your own conclusions.

Ummm ... you haven't provided enough information from which any valid
conclusion may be derived.  Here is a list of information which I would require
in order to come ANY conclusions:

1. How have other computer-related stocks fared?
2. Are there other stocks which have dropped in value by similar amounts?
3.   What are they?
4. What is the current VOLUME of Atari stock being sold?
5. Compare and contrast this with the VOLUME of other computer-related stocks
     being sold.
6. Do the same for the answer to question 3.

It would be pretty stupid to base conclusions on one stock without knowing
something about the rest of the field to which that stock belongs.  It would be
equally stupid to base conclusions about a company based on stock prices in a
widely fluctuating market.

As an example -- the Dow Jones average has dropped nearly 400 points over the
past few weeks.  People came to attention when the Dow dropped 500 points in
one day, but don't appear particularly bothered by a similar drop over a few
weeks time!  The net loss (on paper) is similar, although the time frames are
not.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (08/24/90)

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>Approximately 82% of the common stock of Atari Corporation is in the hands of
>insiders.  The action of the stock price is not comparable to the action of
>the price of a broadly held stock.

This would seem to imply (I know nothing of the stock market) that just a
fraction of the stock outstanding is being trading by the insiders (presumably
to outsiders) and that this has a highly leveraged effect on the overal price.
True?

>For Atari to have another decent quarter, they don't have to do anything new.

Here where I work, Network Systems, we just previously had the two best
quarters in the company's history, yet our stock (after nearly doubling)
has fallen again (nearly in half of the previous high.)  From our current
price, one might conclude that we have accomplished nothing!

Stock prices and company performance have some tenuous link, but not enough
to make money on the anticipation of such :-)

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (08/25/90)

Jeff Gortatowsky (apologies if I spelled the name wrong) chose to re-open some
serious issues in a follow-up to one of my postings.  I may as well make some
comments too.
   First: a PC-compatible running Windows (or presumably a lower-priced Mac,
after the announcements Apple is expected to make shortly) gives the user
everything worth having in the ST, for less money, and with better support.
True or false?
   Still false, I think, but getting closer to true by the day.  Let's say the
standard ST today is an STe with a meg of memory; sale price about $750 (I'm
kinda splitting the difference between color and mono).  Stack it up against
a 12 MHz 80286 with something that can handle graphics: That's at least $100
more.  Performance on text-based applications is comparable.  I'm told, though,
that the 80286 won't run Windows usefully.  Add another $70 for a Meg of RAM.
Maybe $40 for a copy of Windows.  Even now, the STe is faster on graphics.
Add a hard disk: the clone takes an internal disk, the ST takes an external
one.  For basic performance, you pay about $200 less for the clone's disk.  But
the ST's disk is a bit more than twice as fast in typical operations.  Correct-
able, but that's another $100 into the clone.  And if you like those removable
platter hard drives, there's no contest: about $400 less to put one on the ST
than on the clone.
   Every Atari follower knows how dangerous it is to compare real and imaginary
machines.  Last I heard, the low-cost Macs expected from Apple were going to
be priced more than the above clone and have no more than a meg of RAM.
   Piracy: I'm sure it hurts plenty to be the victim.  But if you think the
ST is bad, I suggest you contact the author of Mean 18.  Or of X-tree.  The
money being made is in a few blockbuster games, and in programs for the corp-
orate market.  A few people are making some money on utility programs (both
PC and ST markets) but for each one of them, there's a story: why he makes
money while the other guys with near-equivalent stuff don't.  Programming is
fun, and if you're good, it follows that you'll write good programs.  Selling
software is agonizing, and if you do everything right, sometimes it still
doesn't work.
     This note is much too long already.  Next person's comments----
                                 Steve J.

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug25.135955.24781@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>   First: a PC-compatible running Windows (or presumably a lower-priced Mac,
>after the announcements Apple is expected to make shortly) gives the user
>everything worth having in the ST, for less money, and with better support.
>True or false?
>   Still false, I think, but getting closer to true by the day.

Stephen goes on to compare various bits of STe and peecee hardware.  To which
I say, all moot if the wallet-toting consumer has never heard of an Atari STe,
can't "kick the tires" on an STe because there are no dealers or large retail
chains that carry STe's, can't find STe software at the local Disks'R'Us.  For
the vast majority of potential buyers, all three are (unfortunately) true.

The mere fact that one can, with sufficient hunting and perseverance, purchase
an STe doesn't mean that large numbers of people will, nor that it makes good
sense for them to do so, even if they spend less initially than on a <insert
your favorite other flavor of low-cost computer>.
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (08/26/90)

In article cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Atari stock is now hovering just above $4/share.  It has lost ~20% of
>its value in the last week or so.  This is about 2 times what the
>overal Dow has lost since Aug. 2.
>
>Draw your own conclusions.

Great. In the last few weeks, Microsoft stock has taken a dive from about
$79 to $51. That's about a 35% dip. Gee, I guess that means that if Atari
stock only dropped 20% and is on the verge of folding (as some insightful
industry insiders would have us believe) then I should REALLY be worried and
start sending out resumes again. Poor Bill Gates. He's stuck with about
a hundred million shares of the stuff.

Can you Wall Street wizards take your discussion offline and leave this topic
for discussing matters that most ST users might actually give a damn about?
I'm sure you can set up a topic called alt.stock.market.bs or something.

- Darek