[comp.sys.atari.st] New Bash question

joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) (08/23/90)

Well, I'm beginning to think bashshould have been called the
Bad Attitude SHell.   But I reserve judgement (I'm pretty
sure I must be doing something stupid).   (PS. I can't to
see Howard's implimentation with rtx....)

Ok, I can't do anything with bash.  I am happy to see the
builtin commands work, and the ALT key too.  But, the best I
could do for cd was to change to a disk.  Any attempt to
change into a directory failed.  This is odd since the TAB
would complete the name ok. (But it put a space after it as
if it were a file adn not a dir).  Also, I can't get it to
run any file either in my path or fully declared. (Yes I
even appended the appropriate extension...hmmm).  Lastly,
each time I start it up, it executes the history file. (This
I uinderstand since it gets cut off after a few characters
and the shell probably thinks its the startup file.  I
haven't installed my startup scripts yet...)

Anyone else getting this to work?

Joe
ps. this is the lharc executable from terminator in
~atari/new.

tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) (08/26/90)

It seems that I forgot to include the necessary documentation to get
Bash up and running when I put bash-bin.lzh up on Terminator.

I have just put up a file in the atari/new directory called bash-doc.lzh
that includes the docs (from the source archive) for Bash.

My apologies to all for this oversight.

Regards,
--
Timothy A. Roeder - Northern Arizona University(NAU)/Univeristy of Arizona(UA)
UUCP: ...!arizona!naucse!tar (NAU)

dstailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Doug Stailey) (08/27/90)

In article <2457@naucse.cse.nau.edu> tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) writes:
>I have just put up a file in the atari/new directory called bash-doc.lzh
>that includes the docs (from the source archive) for Bash.

Unfortunately, these are the original **ix docs for BASH.  After two days of
experimentation, I have started to tame BASH, but I still can't get it to
read .bash_profile.  I have the following environment variables set:

UNIXMODE=/.,LAHdbrC
BASH=c:/bash/bash.ttp
HISTORY=c:/.bash_history

and in the root directory, I had a .dir file reading:

.bash_history	history.bsh	A
.bash_profile	profile.bsh	A

with the corresponding profile.bsh set up with a large number of
'alias' and 'setenv' statements (Actually, it was my gulam.g file
hacked up for BASH).

BASH read all the environment variables, but did nothing with profile.bsh.
Which brings up the question of how you create shell scripts when you
can't make a text file executable.

history.bsh was also ignored.  Instead, a file called .bas showed up
in my root directory.  Before I fiddled with the environment it would
show up in c:\bash, as a file called /.bas.  In either case, every time
I ran bash, it would try to execute every program in this [/.bas .bas]
file.  BASH should be trying to execute its profile, not
its history. 8-{

Anyway, this is all the luck I've had so far.  I certainly think that the
whole idea of BASH on the ST is a good one.  All other **ix type shells
I have seen for the atari have been csh clones.

If you know something that would help, please contact me at:

	dstailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Thanks,

Doug.

--
Oops, I seem to have misplaced my .signature...