From: grevemey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Lord Mhoram)
Newsgroups: ou.general
Subject: Re: Dodge hall surprise computer cleaning
Date: 30 Aug 90 03:25:38 GMT

(text cut...)

As for the Atari ST's, no way.  Don't you think there are enough
different platforms on campus to try to support without adding
another one?  vms, unix, ms-dos, windows, ultrix, primos, AT's, Pc's,
macintosh, minix (unsupported), multics (anyone remember this?),
386's, etc.

Mr. Parker is very fond of the Amiga.  This platform is at least a
technologically superior product to either a pc or a mac, and given
the right parts could function as either one. (so much for software
support problems -- it could run it).  The only thing I have
a problem with is the fact that the major software firms do not
have software available for it -- though they claim to be working on it.

In the case of the Atari ST, I haven't seen any claims for either
software or hardware compatibility (bad word, but) even in
the distant future.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if another type of platform
is going to be considered, lets get one capable of adapting to our
needs.  The Amiga with it's X Windows support, tcp/ip support, NTSC
video capability, and Unix capability would be a much better platform
then the Atari.

-seg

p.s. maybe I should cross-post to ou.flame?

>>> end of post <<<

thanks guys!

swood

--