[comp.sys.atari.st] Wanted: Chinon Floppy Drive Horror Stories

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (08/24/90)

Some time back there were numerous postings concerning the (in?)famous
Chinon floppy drive.  As I remember, many people had problems with its
media change detection.

What were the conlusions of those postings?  My new Mega 4 ST has a
Chinon Rev B F-354 EAA drive in it.  It has been sent back to the
dealer to fix the `media change problem'.  I'm curious as to what
official solutions that were made available.

Suggestions are also appreciated.  Is there a good test program for
this problem?  Please try to reply to me directly and I'll summarize
if anyone else is in the same boat, and interested.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (08/27/90)

	Here in Canada,there appears to have been NO official recognition of
the problem. My complaints were tested by my local tech after installing
TOS 1.4 from the desktop only,so the problem wasn't found. Unfortunately
other programs using their own file selectors don't benefit from TOS 1.4s
fmc hack. A friendly dealers solution was to swap in a drive from a machine
going back to Atari for other problems (I'll never tell who).
Perhaps Bob Brodie,who has showed up here a few times from an account on
portal could clarify what's going onm.

	John Henders

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (08/29/90)

From article <RALPH.90Aug24125733@orion.laas.fr>, by ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek):
> Some time back there were numerous postings concerning the (in?)famous
> Chinon floppy drive.  As I remember, many people had problems with its
> media change detection.
>
> What were the conlusions of those postings?  My new Mega 4 ST has a
> Chinon Rev B F-354 EAA drive in it.  It has been sent back to the
> dealer to fix the `media change problem'.  I'm curious as to what
> official solutions that were made available.
>
> Suggestions are also appreciated.  Is there a good test program for
> this problem?

I'm not sure about the current state of Chinon drives on the Mega, but
the external floppy drive I bought recently had the 'media change'
problem.  It was sold by a large UK distributor, Evesham Micros, and I
don't know how widespread it is elsewhere in the world, but it's made by
a firm called Roctec and it's called something like RF 302.  It's
advertised as having a Teac or Citizen mechanism - I guess it depends on
the batch.  Anyway, it's now back with Evesham with a request for
replacement.

The easiest way I found to test the existence of the problem is this:

1.	Insert disk #1.  Open any folder

2.	Remove disk #1 and insert disk #2.  You'll still see the drive
window displaying disk #1's folder.  This is normal.

3.	Click on the top left corner of the window (the 'close box') to
return to the top directory.

A fully-working drive will proceed to read the disk, recognising that
the media 'might have changed' and will then show the top directory of
disk #2.  A faulty drive not read the new disk and will show the top
directory of disk #1.

You can force the ST to read the new disk in a faulty drive by pressing
'escape' (at least, this works on TOS 1.4 and above; I'm not sure if it
works for all TOS versions).  The fault is easy to spot if you're at the
desktop, but might not be so easy if you're writing to a disk when
inside an application.  There's a considerable danger that you'll mess
up the file allocation table on the 'new' disk, as the ST will think
it's writing to the free space on the 'old' disk.  The only mitigating
factor is that if you had to swap disks because there was not enough
free space on the old disk, the ST won't overwrite the new disk because
it will still think there's not enough free space.

Graham.
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma   BITNET: grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@UKACRL

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (08/29/90)

In article <RALPH.90Aug24125733@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
>Some time back there were numerous postings concerning the (in?)famous
>Chinon floppy drive.  As I remember, many people had problems with its
>media change detection.
>
>What were the conlusions of those postings?  My new Mega 4 ST has a
>Chinon Rev B F-354 EAA drive in it.  It has been sent back to the
>dealer to fix the `media change problem'.  I'm curious as to what
>official solutions that were made available.

I worked up a fix for the problem mechs at the time when Cumana was
using them.  I wrote to Cumana describing the problem and my fix; I got
a letter back saying they'd discussed it with Chinon and my fix was
'suitable and appropriate'.  Don't know if the publicised it.  IF you
are comfortable with taking your ST apart, what you do is:

Remove the drive mech.  Looking into it, you'll see there are 2 little
pin switches, one of which is located where the write-protect hole in
the disk is, and a second right next to it.  The first is the
write-protect sense switch; the second is a 'disk present' switch.  The
internal circuitry of the Chinon drive means that the WP switch state
doesn't get sent to the ST unless the disk present switch is closed.

The 'fix' is to make the disk-present switch be permanently closed.
The way to do this is to solder a small jumper wire across its
terminals on the bottom of the drives PC board.  In my drive, both
switches were in a single unit, but it was obvious which set of
terminals went to which side.

NOTE --- I don't know if all Chinon drives with the problem are
constructed the same way, so neither I nor anyone else I've mentioned
can be held responsible if you try this and it breaks things.  All I
will commit to is that it worked fine for me...  I've fixed 2 Chinon
mechs that way.  (It's a good way to get a reliable CHEAP mech -- there
are a lot of them flying around, presumably because people have
discovered they don't work on STs.  Unless you perform the trivial
modification.)

ALSO NOTE -- Not all Chinon drives have the problem.  In particular,
Cumana claimed that they were going to switch to a different model of
Chinon mech which worked properly in this regard.

>Suggestions are also appreciated.  Is there a good test program for
>this problem?  Please try to reply to me directly and I'll summarize
>if anyone else is in the same boat, and interested.

There's a simple test _procedure_.  Put a write-enabled floppy (little
window closed) in the drive, and pop up a directory-listing window.
Take the floppy out, reinsert it (or any other write-enabled floppy)
and hit ESCape.  If the drive spins, you're OK.  If the drive does not
spin, you've got the problem.  The problem mechs only do the wrong
thing with write-enabled disks.  To be sure, try this several times .

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

storkamp@sj.ate.slb.com (Mark Storkamp) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.100251.11916@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>In article <RALPH.90Aug24125733@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
>>Some time back there were numerous postings concerning the (in?)famous
>>Chinon floppy drive.  As I remember, many people had problems with its
>>media change detection.
>>
>>Suggestions are also appreciated.  Is there a good test program for
>>this problem?  Please try to reply to me directly and I'll summarize
>>if anyone else is in the same boat, and interested.
>
>There's a simple test _procedure_.  Put a write-enabled floppy (little
>window closed) in the drive, and pop up a directory-listing window.
>Take the floppy out, reinsert it (or any other write-enabled floppy)
>and hit ESCape.  If the drive spins, you're OK.  If the drive does not
>spin, you've got the problem.  The problem mechs only do the wrong
>thing with write-enabled disks.  To be sure, try this several times .

One of the changes in TOS 1.4 is it now forces a re-read of the disk
whenever you hit ESCape, even if a media change was not detected.  This,
unfortunatly, will not fix the problem if you change disks while inside
of a program. It does make it much more difficult to tell if you
have this problem.  The procedure outlined above will work from Neodesk,
since it does not force the re-read.

Mark Storkamp