[comp.sys.atari.st] becoming a developer

saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) (09/09/88)

This seems to be of general enough interest to ask it publicly.  How (in
sickening detail) does one go about becoming a registered ST developer?
I have heard the amoun $300 mentioned several times, but nothing else (well,
there was something a long time ago about $100 for the documentation set,
but that wouldn't seem to include such valuable thing as the privilege of
purchasing the 'version 1.4 readiness kit').  Since the developers's kit
is reputed to include Mark Williams C (although the Mark Williams Company
denied that when I asked them) is ther any special consideration available
for those who already own it?  I hear talk of newsletters and updates.
What DOES a registered developer get in addition to a large box of documents
and the new materials that were recently mentioned in this group?  And
of course the usual question to get me ready for the predictable next time:
where SHOULD I have learned all this stuff instead of asking the world?

rjung@sal6.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (09/09/88)

(Not that I'm really qualified to speak, but...)

  To be a developer in the general sense, all you have to do (I think) is
to write something. Then find a company that'll market your product, and
you're set. Antic and Michtron, it seems, look for new products this way.

  To be a developer in the $300 sense means you send a check to Atari. They
then make you an "official" developer, which means you get a developer's kit
(with all sorts of neat detailed technical papers), and you're put on Atari's
mailing list. You're then entitled to get goodies straight from Atari's
innermost lairs, such as development update newsletters and early versions of
new TOS ROMs B-).

  I don't think the Developer's Kit comes with Megamax C. For that, you'll
have to shell out $200 like the rest of us (well, I've got Laser C, but
since Megamax makes that too, I consider it the same)

  If I screwed anything up, will somebody tell me? These are just the
impressions from a programmer on the _outside_ of the developer's
"inner circle" B-).

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@sa132.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (09/12/88)

in article <6540@chinet.UUCP>, saj@chinet.UUCP (Stephen Jacobs) says:

> This seems to be of general enough interest to ask it publicly.  How (in
> sickening detail) does one go about becoming a registered ST developer?

Call or write Cindy Claveran:
	Atari Corporation (Developer Support)
	1196 Borregas Avenue
	Sunnyvale  CA 94086

	(408) 745 2568

	or John Feagans (Director, Software)
	or Joe Ferrari  (Director, Application Software)

Roy J. Good
Product Development, Atari Corporation

c60a-1bq@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (nunnayourbiznezz) (09/14/88)

Okay, now we know how to become a developer.  Which C compiler and
assembler package do we get?  Alcyon or MWC?

John Kawakami

jpatton@atari.UUCP (J. E. Patton) (05/18/89)

By popular demand the following information is posted for those interested
in becoming registered Atari developers. It pertains only to those located
in the U.S.   Atari has subsidiaries all over the world and you should contact
the appropriate one for more information about becoming a developer.
To become a registered developer you must purchase one of the following
forms of the kit.

$ 112.50  Documents Only
$ 237.00  Above w/telephone support, online registration, hardware discounts
$ 300.00  All the above plus Mark Williams C compiler.

If you live in California please add 7% sales tax.  Checks will be returned
if tax is not included.  To purchase the Developer's Kit please send a
cashiers check or money order to the following address:

Atari Corporation
1196 Borregas Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Attn: Developer Coordinator

The Developer's Kit will be sent back to you prepaid UPS Blue.  Allow
two weeks from the time we receive your check.  Please note:  UPS cannot
deliver to a P.O. Box.

The actual process of getting registered relies on the developer returning
a confidential disclosure form which is contained in the developer's kit.

The following is a list of some of the documents in the developers kit:

	 o Question and Answer Newsletters
	 o Introduction to GEM programming
	 o A Hitchhiker's Guide to the BIOS
	 o Atari GEMDOS Reference Manual
	 o GEM Programmer's Guide, Vol. 1--VDI
	 o GEM Programmer's Guide, Vol. 2--AES
	 o Still Another Line-A Document (SALAD)
	 o Engineering Hardware Specification
	 o Chip specifications
	 o SFP004
Atari says 'We cannot be held responsible for what J. says'
J. says 'Have a nice day'  :-)                            jpatton@atari

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/19/89)

In article <1501@atari.UUCP>, jpatton@atari.UUCP (J. E. Patton) writes:
> To become a registered developer you must purchase one of the following
> forms of the kit.
>
> $ 112.50  Documents Only
> $ 237.00  Above w/telephone support, online registration, hardware discounts

I ordered the kit above and received only the documents, no ALN, no RCS, no
MADMAC, no debuggers, no programming examples.  When I called to inquire, I
was told that all these (rather important) things were part of the Alcyon C
package, which is available separately to developers.  Before I blew up, I
was also told that since I had waited a couple months already (having exactly
caught the gap between 2 revisions), it would be sent immediately at no charge.
It would be interesting to have this clarified publicly.

> $ 300.00  All the above plus Mark Williams C compiler.
>
> Atari Corporation
> 1196 Borregas Avenue
> Sunnyvale, CA 94086
> Attn: Developer Coordinator
>
> The actual process of getting registered relies on the developer returning
> a confidential disclosure form which is contained in the developer's kit.

Not to gripe too much (believe me, the docs and utilities are wonderful), but
I returned both the general agreement and the separate GDOS agreement about 6
weeks ago, and I've heard nothing since...like the online registration stuff
and the hardware discounts.

I wouldn't have posted anything publicly, but following up this posting is so
inviting, and nobody has answered several previously useful phone numbers at
Atari since Monday (I call 3 - 4 PM Calif time).

Believe me, if Atari was to say I already had gotten my $237 worth, so that
was all I'd get, I'd agree with them.  But I'm greedy.
                                   Steve J.

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (05/23/89)

Thanks to Atari for sending out the info about becoming
an Atari developer, BUT (ain't there always a but :-) ),
how current are they?? Do they reflect the Mega ST, TOS 1.2
and TOS 1.4?? How often are they updated?? How accurate are they??
Do you still get those old Digital Research Xeroxed manuals??

And how much are the hardware discounts?? Can a new developer get a
break on the new 68030 TT machine??

Richard (UNIX hacker and eagerly awaiting the TT) Covert

jpatton@atari.UUCP (J. E. Patton) (05/24/89)

in article <43609a62.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP>, covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) says:

> Thanks to Atari for sending out the info about becoming
> an Atari developer, BUT (ain't there always a but :-) ),
> how current are they?? Do they reflect the Mega ST, TOS 1.2
> and TOS 1.4?? How often are they updated?? How accurate are they??
> Do you still get those old Digital Research Xeroxed manuals??
>
> And how much are the hardware discounts?? Can a new developer get a
> break on the new 68030 TT machine??
>
> Richard (UNIX hacker and eagerly awaiting the TT) Covert

The currently shipping docs. contain all the updates we've
made available to developers. Unfortunately the DRI manuals are still
present, but ( There is always a but :) specific information about
TOS 1.2 and 1.4 has been merged with more to come.

Developer pricing for the TT has not been discussed ... yet, but
you can understand that limited quantities of custom parts will
be a factor ( I have nothing to do with setting prices, so these are
MY thoughts ).

                                    jpatton@atari

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/25/89)

In article <1506@atari.UUCP>, jpatton@atari.UUCP (J. E. Patton) writes:
> in article <43609a62.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP>, covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) says:
> >
> > And how much are the hardware discounts?? Can a new developer get a
> > break on the new 68030 TT machine??
> >
> Developer pricing for the TT has not been discussed ... yet, but
> you can understand that limited quantities of custom parts will
> be a factor ( I have nothing to do with setting prices, so these are
> MY thoughts ).
>
>                                     jpatton@atari
We do have some information on this for the short term.  At the recent COMDEX
it was announced that the first TT-s made available to US developers would
be LOADED with 'extras'.  This is apparently what happened when the Megas
were introduced too.  The logic on Atari's part is obvious: they're supplying
the machines in configurations for the most serious developers (serious there
means likely to produce the kind of software or peripheral that sells
computers, and to back it with their own marketing).  So the developer prices
for these pre-introduction super-enhanced machines will almost certainly be
higher than the list prices of base-level machines.
                                     Steve J.

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (08/30/90)

How does one go about becoming an official Atari
developer? I remember a while back someone posted
something to the effect that you called
Gail Johnson (?) at Atari and arranged it. Is that
still true?

--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (09/01/90)

in article <1990Aug29.204648.3852@ultra.com>, jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) says:

> How does one go about becoming an official Atari
> developer? I remember a while back someone posted
> something to the effect that you called
> Gail Johnson (?) at Atari and arranged it. Is that
> still true?
>
> Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
> Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

I don't know all the specifics, but give Gail Johnson a call at
(408)745-2568. She should be able to provide you with the information
you need.

-- John Townsend					ames!atari!towns
   Systems Software, Atari Corporation