[comp.sys.atari.st] dead mono monitor

tasayco@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Tasayco Hakia) (08/24/90)

Hi! Yesterday my monitor died, or at least it seems that way. It seems
to be still getting power because the green light is on, but the
screen is totally blank. I would appreciate any help like hints of
what could be wrong and how to fix it or advice about sending it to
Atari for repair, or whether any TV repairman would repair it, or any
experience you have had with dead monitors. By the way, how much does
a (new or used) mono monitor cost? And is there anybody willing to
sell one? Thanks in advance!

	Francisco Figueirido

kclenden@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (08/25/90)

In article <2051@idunno.Princeton.EDU> tasayco@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Tasayco Hakia) writes:
>Hi! Yesterday my monitor died, or at least it seems that way. It seems
>to be still getting power because the green light is on, but the
>screen is totally blank. I would appreciate any help like hints of
>what could be wrong and how to fix it or advice about sending it to
>Atari for repair, or whether any TV repairman would repair it, or any
>experience you have had with dead monitors. By the way, how much does
>a (new or used) mono monitor cost? And is there anybody willing to
>sell one? Thanks in advance!
>
>	Francisco Figueirido

If you decide to send it off to have it repaired, I suggest:

  R&R TV-Stereo Service
  Bldg. 209, Area C
  W.P.A.F.B., OH 45433
  (513)-878-6696

If you call them, talk to Ron.  They were recommended to me by
Best Electronics.  My mono monitor had died (even the green led
was out), and I called Best Electronics who recommended R&R.  So
I sent them my monitor on a Monday, they called me on Friday with
an estimate on the repair cost, I sent them a check Saturday, and
by the next Friday I had my monitor back in working order.  It cost
me $56, including shipping, for everything.  I have had some bad
experiences with Atari related repairs before, but R&R gets five
stars out of five.

kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu                          Kevin Clendenien
BLAST BBS - (812) 332-0573                                BLAST, President
               "I want someone like you, only nicer."

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (08/29/90)

In article <2051@idunno.Princeton.EDU> tasayco@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Tasayco Hakia) writes:
>Hi! Yesterday my monitor died, or at least it seems that way. It seems
>to be still getting power because the green light is on, but the
>screen is totally blank. I would appreciate any help like hints of
>what could be wrong and how to fix it or advice about sending it to
>Atari for repair, or whether any TV repairman would repair it, or any
>experience you have had with dead monitors.

Well I guess this as good a time as any to voice my sorrows too.
We have two SM124 monitors here with the same problem. We have carefully
checked them against working ones and it looks like the line output
transformers are dead. We have been waiting for months for a local Atari
dealer to get us replacements but nothing has turned up yet. The dealer
has quite a few SM124s waiting for repair and says he can't get the LOPTs
for them. However he can get LOPT's for SM125's (The Tilt 'n Swivel monitor)
but they are no use to SM124's.

Unless we can get our hands on SM124 LOPT's we might have to buy new monitors
and I don't want to get SM124's if I can't repair them. SM125's seem not to be
on sale any more.

BTW SM124's are made for Atari by Goldstar. Anyone know if they will supply
the parts?

>	Francisco Figueirido

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of   !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with     !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being    !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                            !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil         !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK                                                    !

shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/01/90)

> Hi! Yesterday my monitor died, or at least it seems that way. It seems
> to be still getting power because the green light is on, but the
> screen is totally blank. I would appreciate any help like hints of
> what could be wrong and how to fix it or advice about sending it to
> Atari for repair, or whether any TV repairman would repair it, or any
> experience you have had with dead monitors. By the way, how much does
> a (new or used) mono monitor cost? And is there anybody willing to
> sell one? Thanks in advance!

I've had recent problems with my mono monitor; there is a capacitor that
has blown 3 times!  The first two times, it was replaced with a close but
not exact one meeting the specs; this last time, my nearby atari dealer
(in kansas city one hour away) got the correct one from california.  So
far so good.  In any case, the symptoms where a black screen; if you open
up the case, if it is blown capacitor you might see a mess since my literally
exploded; there was also a smell.

GOOD LUCK!!

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/01/90)

About dead components, have you tried using Atari's replacement
service? This is where you send them your dead whatever, a small
fee, and they send you a brand new unit.

I've known those who have sent in dead 1050 drives and got back
XF354, 1027s and got back XDM121s, and even dead Megas, and got new
Megas back. So, contact Atari, send them your dead SM124, and
they'll send back a new one.

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US