[comp.sys.atari.st] Ethernet

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (06/17/88)

1) A long while ago there was talk of an ethernet connection box + software to
   be availble for the ST RSN.

2) I just spent a long time kermiting 300K to our mainframe at 4800 baud and
   now somebody else is using my Atari to do the same.

=> Has this box, or any other interface, materialized: is there any other way
   to conect our ST's to the real world other than a terminal line?

Thanks in advance for any answers,

                                           Geert Jan van Oldenborgh
                                           NIKHEF-H, Amsterdam

There's something called an EtherportSC, (from 3com, I think) intended
for a Mac really, but it's an ethernet adapter that attaches to a SCSI
port. Might be usable, provided you could get enough docs to write a
driver for it on the ST...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (06/28/88)

In article <374@clio.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>There's something called an EtherportSC, (from 3com, I think) intended
>for a Mac really, but it's an ethernet adapter that attaches to a SCSI
>port. Might be usable, provided you could get enough docs to write a
>driver for it on the ST...

There is a company in Germany, called Biodata, now offering an SCSI
interface for Atari onto Ethernet, plus tcp/ip software.
Apparently telnet, ftp and nfs are there or coming.
Don't ask me yet if it is all vapourware, but we do have a written
quote for the hardware and software.
Their address
   Biodata GmbH
   Herrenweg 29
   6272 Niederhausen 2

tel. 0 61 28 7 34 33
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (06/30/88)

In article <374@clio.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>There's something called an EtherportSC, (from 3com, I think) intended
>for a Mac really, but it's an ethernet adapter that attaches to a SCSI
>port. Might be usable, provided you could get enough docs to write a
>driver for it on the ST...

My understanding is that this board uses more SCSI than the Atari
AHDI interface supports.  Atari implements enough to allow Level 0 SCSI
and the ethernet board requires more intelligent SCSI, I think.

Anyway I don't think it's possible to use these ethernet<->SCSI boards
without hacking the AHDI hardware or at the very least buidling your
own SCSI adapter and designing a new protocol.  Of course I could be
wrong.

Someone who might know more is Chris at BMS (bms@bdt).
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if

ugbernie@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bernard Bediako) (03/04/89)

	Are there any Ethernet controllers out for the ST?
I've wondering if it will be possible to port the Ethernet control (Amoeba)
to MINIX-ST and cross mount a sun's hard disk to MINIX's filesystem?
						bernie

Bernard Bediako  --------=-=-=-=-=->	ugbernie@cs.buffalo.edu
"Sorry Love, just come to check the meter!" A.C.O.

rjd@brunix (Rob Demillo) (03/06/89)

In article <4481@cs.Buffalo.EDU> ugbernie@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Bernard Bediako) writes:

>	Are there any Ethernet controllers out for the ST?
>I've wondering if it will be possible to port the Ethernet control (Amoeba)
>to MINIX-ST and cross mount a sun's hard disk to MINIX's filesystem?
>						bernie

According to the April '89 issue of STart, FutureDOS (a Canadian company)
will soon be releasing an Ethernet controller board
called TAXI (The Atari eXtended Interface) for the 520s, 1040s and
Megas. (The 520s and 1040s communicate thru the DMA port, while the
Mega uses the internal bus.)

For further info:
	FutureDOS R&D
	1207-120 Torresdale Ave
	North York, Ontario
	M2R 3N7
	(416) 736-0321

The price of the boards is expected to be in the $1K-$2K range.
(I dunno whether those are US$ or Candian$)

 - Rob DeMillo			| UUCP:   ...ima!brunix!brnpsg!demillo
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| GEnie:  R.DEMILLO
			Reality: 401-863-3769

fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) (09/01/90)

In article <5340@newton.praxis.co.uk>, johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) writes...
>Also "announced" were a low-cost laser printer and thick and thin Ethernet
>connections and networking for Mega STs (called Atarinet).
>                                      John Richards
A networking product from Atari?  I'd like to know more about this, and soon.
I've almost given up on getting STs on ethernet.  How many other machines on
the market are so totally lacking in connectivity?  I couldn't think of any.
Even the little laptops have the Xircom gadget that plugs into their printer
ports.

I'm typing this on an ST, with a thinwire cable running behind it to the spot
where a workstation will be next week.  When that is up and running, this
ST will be retired.  Other STs now in use will be moving to terminal servers to
be used as terminals.  It is extremely hard to justify buying any new machine
that cannot be networked.  I hope Atari realizes this and bypasses their
traditional one-year post-announcement waiting period and starts selling the
stuff now.  With software...tcp/ip, ftp, telnet, all the usual stuff, please?
Nice and standard.  Nothing weird or mutated.  Please?

Don Rice                                  Internet: fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E
		(Coming soon...ddr@flux.fai.alaska.edu)

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (09/03/90)

in article <1990Aug31.231223.8818@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (Rice Don D) says:
> News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4
>
> A networking product from Atari?  I'd like to know more about this, and soon.
>

> Don Rice                                  Internet: fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu
> Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr@alaska.bitnet
> University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
> Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E
> 		(Coming soon...ddr@flux.fai.alaska.edu)

As soon as more information is available I will pass it along. Rest
assured, we are aware of the importance of networking in the relation
to the use of our machines in the business workplace. We also recognize
the important of the Ethernet standard.

All I can really say at this point is that we are working on it. As soon
as we have something, we will let you know!

-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corp, Systems Software