[comp.sys.atari.st] help! I'm in s-l-o-w m--o--t--i--o--n!

cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) (08/31/90)

I have a 20mb HD on my 1040st with an ICD SCSI adapter and a omti controller
tying it all together.  One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
write times to it are horrifying!  We're talking a minimum of 7-10sec per file
where the drive doesn't appear to be doing anything, then the red light will
flash, and on to the next file.  The mostly empty partition on the drive still
responds just as fast as you would expect...
I thought it must be a fragementation-type problem, and lacking anything like
the defraggers available for the PC, I backed up all my files to floppy
with Turtle, restored them, and looked forward to a performace increase.
Nope.

What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.
Also, is there a PD program to complement Turtle?  I mean something that
restores to your HD and just prompts you for each disk.  That would be a lot
easier (and faster!) than copying them from the desktop....

Thanks in advance,
Brian Daniels
(cs63bld@unccvax.uucp)

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) (08/31/90)

In article <2648@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:

>I thought it must be a fragementation-type problem, and lacking anything like
>the defraggers available for the PC, I backed up all my files to floppy
>with Turtle, restored them, and looked forward to a performace increase.
>Nope.

Did you actually zero the partition or did you just delete the files?  That's
all I can think of...

>What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.
>Also, is there a PD program to complement Turtle?  I mean something that
>restores to your HD and just prompts you for each disk.  That would be a lot
>easier (and faster!) than copying them from the desktop....

My, my, aren't you in luck!  There exists "UnTurtle," (named with permission
of George Woodside) which allows you to do restores semi-painlessly.  You
pick a floppy drive to restore from and a partition to restore to...then
hit return.  When all files are copied, insert the next disk and hit return.
UnTurtle handles all of the folder creation and so on.

UnTurtle is up to version 1.3 and I've been using it with no problems for
years.  Version 2.0 is supposedly on the way (rewritten from Personal Pascal
to Laser C, and with a nicer user-interface), but the author has other, more
pressing projects to finish first.

In keeping with the Turtle idea, UnTurtle is freeware.  If it isn't up on
Terminator, I'll post it tonight.

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (08/31/90)

In article <2648@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:

>I have a 20mb HD on my 1040st with an ICD SCSI adapter and a omti controller
>tying it all together.  One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
>write times to it are horrifying!  We're talking a minimum of 7-10sec per file
>where the drive doesn't appear to be doing anything, then the red light will
>flash, and on to the next file.  The mostly empty partition on the drive still
>responds just as fast as you would expect...
This was a problem with TOS 1.0 and 1.2 that is fixed in TOS 1.4.  Used
to be that the FAT was searched from the beginning every time a new cluster
was needed.  The fuller your partition, the bigger the FAT and the slower
the write.  Fix:  Keep your partitions small or get TOS 1.4.

>Also, is there a PD program to complement Turtle?  I mean something that
>restores to your HD and just prompts you for each disk.  That would be a lot
>easier (and faster!) than copying them from the desktop....
Try The Vault.  It is easier to use and more flexible than Turtle and
comes with a companion restore program, The Key.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (08/31/90)

In article <2648@unccvax.uncc.edu>, cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:

> I have a 20mb HD on my 1040st with an ICD SCSI adapter and a omti controller
> tying it all together.  One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
> write times to it are horrifying!  We're talking a minimum of 7-10sec per file
> where the drive doesn't appear to be doing anything, then the red light will
>
> What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.
> Also, is there a PD program to complement Turtle?  I mean something that
> restores to your HD and just prompts you for each disk.  That would be a lot

1. S L O W was a real TOS 1.1 problem.  TOS 1.4 fixed it.
   The problem is in writing, and the wrong algorithms used in TOS1.1 to
   access the FAT to find a block to write into.

2. There is a PD program called restore that quickly restores the disk from
   a turtle backup.  Works real good!

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

chris@tharr.UUCP (Chris Allen) (09/01/90)

In article <2648@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:
] [..]
]tying it all together.  One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
]write times to it are horrifying!  We're talking a minimum of 7-10sec per file
]What's going on here?  Any help would be appreciated.

You either need FATSPEED or TOS 1.4 , or the latest version of the ICD utilities
Any of these will sort out this problem.

--
         chris@tharr.uucp  ..!ukc!axion!tharr!chris
  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

kloppen@gmdzi.UUCP (Jelske Kloppenburg) (09/01/90)

cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:

>I have a 20mb HD on my 1040st with an ICD SCSI adapter and a omti controller
>tying it all together.  One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
>write times to it are horrifying!  We're talking a minimum of 7-10sec per file

>What's going on here?

The problem I know. I think You dont't have TOS 1.4. Before TOS writes a new
file, it searches from the beginning of the partition for the first free
cluster and in the older TOS that needs that time. In TOS 1.4 that is much
faster, so it doesnt bother.
When I had the older TOS, I made me a program, that worked interactively
and could find all files that lie in the first 256k and then shift them to
another place on the partition. If the beginning of the partition is free,
writing new files is very much faster.
For first help You can save all files to another Partition or archive,
free that partition, write a file as filler to that partition, restore the
partition and then delete the filler.

Regards

j.k.

  Jelske Kloppenburg, kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2433
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (09/04/90)

cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) writes:
> One of my partitions (10mb) is just about full, and
> write times to it are horrifying!

Get TOS 1.4.  This is the chief user-visible improvement in TOS 1.4
over previous TOSes.  Another of the improvements will help, too:
adding enough memory to the sector cache (with CACHEnnn, for example)
to hold all the FAT and root directory sectors on all your disks.  That
way your disk won't constantly be reading the same stuff (the FATs) for
every file: it'll already be in memory.