[comp.sys.atari.st] Viewing .TEX files

dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) (09/01/90)

What EXACTLY do I need to VIEW a file with a .TEX extender (Basically,
the file in question is the documentation to arcgsh3.0)

I don't want the complete TeX or LaTeX or whatever if not needed.

Only something to VIEW TeX files.

What and WHERE can I get them?

-Frank

    Frank Rachel | Internet:Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.edu | University Of Miami

SONORAN@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx (Pedro A. Galvan Pompa) (09/05/90)

As I am one of those poor souls that does not have access to huge machines
with the complete TEX implementations, every time I get hold of a good
program with TEX documents I don't even bother to decompress it. The time
spent trying to tell the chaff from the wheat in the docs is just too much.
PLEASE! Have pity. Put your docs in straightforward ASCII, so all of us can
benefit from it. Thanx!
|    Pedro A. Galvan Pompa             |  SONORAN@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX  |
| ITESM Campus Sonora Norte - Library  |  Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico     |
|          LonelieST user south of the US-Mexico border...               |
|          Disclaimer: Normally, ITESM doesn't talk...I DO!              |

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/05/90)

In article <90247.115001SONORAN@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx> SONORAN@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx (Pedro A. Galvan Pompa) writes:
[As I am one of those poor souls that does not have access to huge machines
[with the complete TEX implementations, every time I get hold of a good
[program with TEX documents I don't even bother to decompress it. The time
[spent trying to tell the chaff from the wheat in the docs is just too much.
[PLEASE! Have pity. Put your docs in straightforward ASCII, so all of us can
[benefit from it. Thanx!
[|    Pedro A. Galvan Pompa             |  SONORAN@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX  |
[| ITESM Campus Sonora Norte - Library  |  Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico     |
[|          LonelieST user south of the US-Mexico border...               |
[|          Disclaimer: Normally, ITESM doesn't talk...I DO!              |

Then those of us who do run TeX on our STs loose out. May I
suggest that you stache away a copy of dvi2tty (from
sun.soe.clarkson.edu ?) to make an ASCII version of the raw dvi
files? Or just get showdvi.zoo from the atari archives then you
can enjoy the typeset text without the TeX software.

 ~ ___________________________________________________________
 ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
 ~ |__________________________|__RENO___NEVADA_______________|

mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (Max Jester) (09/05/90)

In article <6859.26de8723@umiami.miami.edu>,
	dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) writes:
> What EXACTLY do I need to VIEW a file with a .TEX extender (Basically,
> the file in question is the documentation to arcgsh3.0)
>
> I don't want the complete TeX or LaTeX or whatever if not needed.
>
> Only something to VIEW TeX files.
>
> What and WHERE can I get them?

TeX files are just ASCII files, and you should be able to look at them
with most file viewers.  The most common problem seems to be with .TeX files
created on a Unix-like system, with linefeeds terminating lines instead of
a linefeed/return pair.  I know this freaks out the vanilla Atari file
viewer.

To solve this there are a couple of ways to go.  One of the Unix-type
editors (e.g. EMACS, STEVIE, etc. ... I use GNOME for this) can handle
these files. You can view them within the editor; you can also save them
in ST native format so that the desktop can handle them gracefully.

I don't recall if DCSHOWIT can handle them, but you could try it out and
see.  The TEMPUS demo from atari.archive might also be worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

Max J.

dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) (09/05/90)

In article <4495@tahoe.unr.edu>, mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
> In article <90247.115001SONORAN@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx> SONORAN@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx (Pedro A. Galvan Pompa) writes:
> [As I am one of those poor souls that does not have access to huge machines
> [with the complete TEX implementations, every time I get hold of a good
> [program with TEX documents I don't even bother to decompress it. The time
> [spent trying to tell the chaff from the wheat in the docs is just too much.
> [PLEASE! Have pity. Put your docs in straightforward ASCII, so all of us can
> [benefit from it. Thanx!
> [|    Pedro A. Galvan Pompa             |  SONORAN@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX  |
> [| ITESM Campus Sonora Norte - Library  |  Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico     |
> [|          LonelieST user south of the US-Mexico border...               |
> [|          Disclaimer: Normally, ITESM doesn't talk...I DO!              |
>
> Then those of us who do run TeX on our STs loose out. May I
> suggest that you stache away a copy of dvi2tty (from
> sun.soe.clarkson.edu ?) to make an ASCII version of the raw dvi
> files? Or just get showdvi.zoo from the atari archives then you
> can enjoy the typeset text without the TeX software.

>  ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |

Everyting I have that came with docs in TeX format cam with the .TEX file,
so doesnt that have to be run through TeX to create the Dvi file?
If so, how about people including the DVI file as the doc.
    Frank Rachel | Internet:Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.edu | University Of Miami

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (09/06/90)

In article <6889.26e434eb@umiami.miami.edu> dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) writes:
[...]
[>
[
[>  ~ |Mike Whitbeck             | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
[
[Everyting I have that came with docs in TeX format cam with the .TEX file,

Not all; Form, for example, only had a dvi file. What a pain!

[so doesnt that have to be run through TeX to create the Dvi file?
[If so, how about people including the DVI file as the doc.
[--
[  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[    Frank Rachel | Internet:Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.edu | University Of Miami
[  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for the more general case if you have the .tex file you have plain
ASCII since the formating commands are also plain ASCII in TeX. If the
formating commands bother you (they almost all begin with a backslash)
they can be stripped out with DETEX (check comp.sources.misc,
comp.sources.unix) or any number of filter scripts (used with spell
checkers like ispell) writen in awk, sed etc.

To me, this is a far better situation than docs in, say WordPerfect,
or similar programs where the formatting is done using non-printing
characters and character combinations imbedded in the original text.
There are quite a few word processors out there all with different
codes and the commercial ones can be $$$ whereas TeX is FREE and runs
on most machines with ~500K memory (Amiga, PC, ST, Macs, unix boxes,
VAX, maniframes ......) and for those without TeX the files can still
be read since .tex files are ASCII.

BUT PLEASE FOLKS- if using TeX do post the .tex files NOT the .dvi
files! It's easier for all concerned to read your documentation!!

I do agree that where feasible ASCII is preferable but where formating
is important (figures and equations) some convention is needed. TeX is
probably the most universally available free package. However if the
material is rather ST specific how about .pi3 or .neo graphic images
of the whole doc as a 'standard' presentation?

Is it possible/easy/difficult to write a 'doc.prg' that senses
mono/color and displays itself (i.e. imbed the documentation text,
images in the program doc.prg as opposed to a doc.txt)? Just an idea.