[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 + Spectre = Mac?

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (09/05/90)

Posting this for a friend:

---------------------------

I have an Atari 1040, no memory expansion and think of buying the
Spectre board for running Mac software. I have some questions:

	Where can I buy it cheapest by mail order (and with credit card)?
	Is 1 M memory enough or do I have to expand it? Where do I get
	cheap memory upgrades?
	What system software can it run?
	Any incompatibility problems with programs that can run on a SE?

Appreciate any comments

Sincerely,
Chris Loneberg

---------------------------

Reply by e-mail to:

Kent Boortz
boortz@sics.se

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep4.170915.3843@sics.se> boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) writes:

>I have an Atari 1040, no memory expansion and think of buying the
>Spectre board for running Mac software. I have some questions:
>
>	Where can I buy it cheapest by mail order (and with credit card)?
>	Is 1 M memory enough or do I have to expand it? Where do I get
>	cheap memory upgrades?
>	What system software can it run?
>	Any incompatibility problems with programs that can run on a SE?

I can't answer for US sources, but I have Spectre GCR running on a 1 Meg
520 and the 832 Kb that it leaves me is enough for most software,
including Hypercard.  I've used several System/Finder combinations,
currently 6.0.4, with no problems (but with only 832K I don't run
MultiFinder).

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577