[comp.sys.atari.st] DeskJet Ink and Rutgers Dialups

dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) (09/05/90)

ABout the new ink for the inkjet printers, the new cartridges
will REPLACE the old ones in the older models on the DeskJet, Correct?

Just wondering because my friend is about to sell his DeskJet because
of the smearing problem, but now he may keep it.

Also,

Can someone from Rutgers give me the computer access #'s for telnet
service? Bically I need to connect to Umiami.miami.edu from rutgers.
This USED to be accomplished from 201-648-5790, but not any more.

-Frank

    Frank Rachel | Internet:Dnd15j9z@Umiami.Miami.edu | University Of Miami

close@sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) (09/05/90)

In article <6891.26e44f52@umiami.miami.edu> dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) writes:
>ABout the new ink for the inkjet printers, the new cartridges
>will REPLACE the old ones in the older models on the DeskJet, Correct?

Yes, the new DeskJet Ink cartridges WILL replace the old, smearing cartridges.
The old ink cartridges will no longer be sold once the current supply runs out
('cause they aren't being made anymore).  Note that the new non-smearing ink
cartridges will be released to the general public sometime in November.  Right
now HP only has enough available to supply one free with each HP DJ 500 that's
sold.
--
Diane Barlow Close
	close@lunch.wpd.sgi.com

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/06/90)

> ABout the new ink for the inkjet printers, the new cartridges
> will REPLACE the old ones in the older models on the DeskJet, Correct?

Yessir, it's a direct replacement for the old cartridge.  Sometimes we
do things right and engineer backward-compatibility into our products.

Tell your friend to keep his DJ.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP - Colorado IC Division
formerly of HP InkJet Components Operation
rrd@hpfitst1
----------

bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.165730.9295@relay.wpd.sgi.com> close@sgi.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
>In article <6891.26e44f52@umiami.miami.edu> dnd15j9z@umiami.miami.edu (Frank Rachel) writes:
>>ABout the new ink for the inkjet printers, the new cartridges
>>will REPLACE the old ones in the older models on the DeskJet, Correct?
>
>Yes, the new DeskJet Ink cartridges WILL replace the old, smearing cartridges.
>The old ink cartridges will no longer be sold once the current supply runs out
>('cause they aren't being made anymore).  Note that the new non-smearing ink
>cartridges will be released to the general public sometime in November.  Right
>now HP only has enough available to supply one free with each HP DJ 500 that's
>sold.

	My question is, will the ink used to fill the cartridges be made
generally available?  I've always refilled my DJ cartridges with Skrip Jet
Black Ink.  The one in the printer is now on its 6th refilling, I've so far
saved about $100.  And print quality is still as high as it ever was.
	Or is a non-smearing ink already available, and if so, what is it?

	The one problem I can think of is if they close off that hole in the
top of the cartridge (which I can see happening if the new ink tends to dry
out).  If that's the case, I'd better buy a few now for refilling use later,
or plan on drilling holes.

	Incidentally, I've also refilled with Skrip blue ink, and it works
just dandy.  It just takes awhile to flush the old black ink out.  Red is
too thin and tends to clog; diluted with black it's too dark and still clogs.
Maybe chart recorder ink would work better ....

--
|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	BRUCE HORNSBY THEOREM:						|