[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems with gnuemacs v18-55 for ST

aa@lln-cs.UUCP (Andre April) (08/28/90)

I tried to install gnuemacs v18.55 posted some months ago in
comp.binaries.atari.st on my ST (2Mb), but I still have some problems:

1) Shell problem:
   --------------
	When I press the <Return> key in a shell-mode buffer (*Shell*), I
always get the following message:

	%: not found
	cmd exit code -33

although my ESHELL env-var has the value "c:\gnu\gulam405\gulam.prg".
(I have a copy of gulam under "c:\bin\sh" too)
If I replace the "(insert "\n% ")" line of shell.el by "(insert "\n ")",
commands seem to be sent to the shell but the results dont go into the *Shell*
buffer. This append whatever the value of ESHELL is (!?). By the way,
shell-command work fine.
What must I do to get it work (like what I'm used under Unix) ?

2) Keyboard and mouse problem:
   ---------------------------
	The function keys and the keypad keys return key codes such as
"#0", "#1" ... The mouse left and right buttons return "#l" and "#r"
respectively... It seems to me that they should return "ESC-#l" and "ESC-#r"
because when I press the "ESC" key before pressing the mouse button gnuemacs
does what I expected. Any solution ?

Andre April                          E-mail: aa@info.ucl.ac.be
Unite d'Informatique
Universite Catholique de Louvain
B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

rvr@fctunl.rccn.pt (Rogerio Reis (CIUP)) (08/31/90)

I also have anothre porblem with GNU-Emacs 18.55: Very often the
screen and cursor get confused when executing a "next-line".

Any solutions?

--
--------------------
Rogerio Reis					  UUCP: rvr@nccup.pt

cjr@cs.bham.ac.uk (Chris Ridd <RiddCJ>) (09/04/90)

In article <998@lln-cs.UUCP> aa@lln-cs.UUCP (Andre April) writes:
>	When I press the <Return> key in a shell-mode buffer (*Shell*), I
>always get the following message:
>	%: not found
>	cmd exit code -33
>although my ESHELL env-var has the value "c:\gnu\gulam405\gulam.prg".

  Try setting ESHELL to be "/dev/c/gnu/gulam405/gulam.prg" instead.
GNU-Emacs uses Unix style pathnames (/) instead of Atari style pathnames (\),
and also 'fiddles' changing drives with '/dev/n' instead of 'n:'

   Chris

-- Chris Ridd, Computer Science, Birmingham Uni, UK -- RiddCJ@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk --

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

alex@dutirt2.tudelft.nl (Alexander Vonk) (09/07/90)

In <RVR.90Aug30201706@host.fctunl.rccn.pt> rvr@fctunl.rccn.pt (Rogerio Reis (CIUP)) writes:

>I also have anothre porblem with GNU-Emacs 18.55: Very often the
>screen and cursor get confused when executing a "next-line".

>Any solutions?
Did you try to use the extended `termcap' entry that is floating around;
I think it's origin is some Databecker book, but I may be wrong. It really
worked for me.

But I have discovered a related problem with starting up emacs 18.55 on my
Atari ST 1024 (GEM v1.0): when I start it up from desktop, it doesn't
calculate my screen size right. Lines (in the middle?) are blank, while there
should be at least some characters on it. The strange thing is, that it is
fixed by starting up gulam first, then exiting gulam and starting emacs from
the desktop. Strange, isn't it. Does gulam perform some sort of initial screen
setup?

Alexander.

>Rogerio Reis					  UUCP: rvr@nccup.pt
>Centro de Informatica da Universidade do Porto    EAN: rvr@ncc.up.ctt.pt
>R.Campo Alegre, 823, 4000 Porto, PORTUGAL
>Telef: +351 2 6001672

+++	Alexander Vonk - Technical Univ. Delft, Netherlands	+++
+++Phone:	(NL) 015 - 78 64 12	(world) 31 15 78 64 12	+++
+++Mail:	alex@dutirt2.tudelft.nl	or alex@dutirt2.UUCP	+++