[comp.sys.atari.st] Is there a window patch for TOS 1.4

n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) (09/05/90)

	Hi, all!

	I installed my TOS 1.4 last week, and have been slightly
bothered with a small bug with repsect to the window slide bars.

	In TOS 1.0, if I cliked the shadowed area to the side of a
window's slide bar, the window would "jump" one windowfull of
text/graphics/whatever in the proper direction.  With TOS 1.4, I have
noticed that in two of my programs (EMPIRE and ST-TALK Pro), clicking
the grey area on window's bar sends signals to the program that the
grey area has been clicked TWICE and overshoots the area which I want
to view.  If I position the slider manually (click-drag-release) the
bar (and the windo info) adjust to the correct place.  Is there a fix
for this window problem?

	And one last question from a TOS 1.4 neophyte:  What is the
name of the program that allows the right hand button to drag and MOVE
files on the desktop on atari@archive?

	Thanx in advance (as always... :-)

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-7177
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/05/90)

-         I installed my TOS 1.4 last week, and have been slightly
- bothered with a small bug with repsect to the window slide bars.

The 'bug' you described is a feature for the rest of us -- or me at
least.  :^)  It displays the responsiveness of the mouse and Rainbow
TOS, if I may be so eloquent.  :^)  Perhaps adjusting the mouse-click
response via a control panel would alleviate the problem.  Or make it
a habit to click on the arrows instead of the slide bar.

- And one last question from a TOS 1.4 neophyte:  What is the name of
- the program that allows the right hand button to drag and MOVE files
- on the desktop on atari@archive?

RT_MOVE.  Pick up the RAINBOW utilities from there if you haven't
already.  I especially like MACCEL2.  Good job, Ken!

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (09/05/90)

In article <1491@unicorn.WWU.EDU>, n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry
Pederson) writes:
|> 	In TOS 1.0, if I cliked the shadowed area to the side of a
|> window's slide bar, the window would "jump" one windowfull of
|> text/graphics/whatever in the proper direction.  With TOS 1.4, I have
|> noticed that in two of my programs (EMPIRE and ST-TALK Pro), clicking
|> the grey area on window's bar sends signals to the program that the
|> grey area has been clicked TWICE and overshoots the area which I want
|> to view.  If I position the slider manually (click-drag-release) the
|> bar (and the windo info) adjust to the correct place.  Is there a fix
|> for this window problem?

You should consider this a feature rather than a bug. Slider events (or how
else they might be called) are sent as long as the mouse button is pressed
while the pointer is in the grey area. This makes it possible to quickly
scroll through a window.

However, you are still right: It is extremly difficult to issue exactly
*one* slider event. There really should be a (configurable) delay between
the first and following slider events! It should be like with the auto
repeat function of the keyboard: If you hold your finger on a character key
there is a delay between the first keystroke and subsequent auto repeated
ones.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) (09/05/90)

In article <1491@unicorn.WWU.EDU> n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) writes:

>[ ... TOS 1.0 operation stuff deleted ...]     With TOS 1.4, I have
>noticed that in two of my programs (EMPIRE and ST-TALK Pro), clicking
>the grey area on window's bar sends signals to the program that the
>grey area has been clicked TWICE and overshoots the area which I want
>to view.

I have noticed this problem in Flash (exact same symptoms) while using
Turbo ST (color monitor).  (Apparently Flash is not fully GEM compatible.)
If you are using Turbo ST (or possibly Quick ST ???), try eliminating that
program. (If I remove Turbo ST, the Flash scroll bars return to normal
operation.)

Regards,
R.C.G.

rdb@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ron DeBlock) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.154351@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
<
<You should consider this a feature rather than a bug. Slider events (or how
<else they might be called) are sent as long as the mouse button is pressed
<while the pointer is in the grey area. This makes it possible to quickly
<scroll through a window.
<
<However, you are still right: It is extremly difficult to issue exactly
<*one* slider event. There really should be a (configurable) delay between
<the first and following slider events! It should be like with the auto
<repeat function of the keyboard: If you hold your finger on a character key
<there is a delay between the first keystroke and subsequent auto repeated
<ones.
<
<--
<  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
<  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
<  Postfach 500500         |)|/    Tel.: +49 231 755-4663
<D-4600 Dortmund 50        |\|\    Fax : +49 231 755-2386

Hmmm...That explains the trouble I've been having paging through Word
Perfect documents.  Since I got the latest WP patch at the same time
I upgraded to TOS 1.4, I just assumed it was a WP problem.
--
Ron DeBlock     N2JSO
rdb@mtunf.att.com

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/09/90)

rdb@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ron DeBlock) writes:

|In article <1990Sep5.154351@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
|<There really should be a (configurable) delay between
|<the first and following slider events!
|Since I got the latest WP patch at the same time
|I upgraded to TOS 1.4, I just assumed it was a WP problem.

The auto-repeat slider delay in TOS 1.4 is based on your mouse double-click
setting.  If you're having trouble getting single clicks, try setting
a slower double-click speed.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine