[comp.sys.atari.st] CDAR-500 SEEN!!! CD-ROM for ST/Mega

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/06/90)

Walking into an Atari only dealer to pick up a 1020 printer (hey, I
collect old Atari stuff) I saw this in a corner.

The Atari CD-ROM player that has been held back from release.

Really. I asked about it, and I was told that it is a "teaser", and
it wasn't for sale. Unfortunately, I had to make it to San
Francisco in less than an hour (this was at 5pm, in Santa Clara)
and couldn't try it out. It wasn't running at the time, but it sure
seemed interesting. It looks like the pictures, an unassuming unit.
Next time I am able to spend more time, I'll try to get a demo or
something, and perhaps try one of my CDs on the thing.

Oh, by the way, this was at B&C Computervisions on Kifer Rd.

Mata ne da-cha

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/07/90)

-
- Really. I asked about it, and I was told that it is a "teaser", and
- it wasn't for sale. Unfortunately, I had to make it to San Francisco
- in less than an hour (this was at 5pm, in Santa Clara) and couldn't
- try it out. It wasn't running at the time, but it sure seemed
- interesting. It looks like the pictures, an unassuming unit.  Next
- time I am able to spend more time, I'll try to get a demo or
- something, and perhaps try one of my CDs on the thing.

When you were in SF, you should have stopped by Computer Rock.
They've had a CDAR running on their Mega 4 since I can remember.
They publish a couple of CDs for it; one is PD software and the other
is clip art.  They sell the drives for around $650 I think.  Maybe
less.

Their BBS used to be running off one, but they decided to go with a
386 clone (at least they SAY it's a 386 clone :^) so they can have
three CD ROM drives on-line (one for ST, one for Mac and one for IBM).
I think they still have 3 phone lines, but were planning on adding one
a month until they hit 9.

Aaron.Roydhouse@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) (09/07/90)

In article <comp.sys.atari.st/7068>
mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) writes:

>Walking into an Atari only dealer to pick up a 1020 printer (hey, I
>collect old Atari stuff) I saw this in a corner.
>
>The Atari CD-ROM player that has been held back from release.

They have been available here (NZ) for a bit longer than I can
remember (at least 12 months, but is was so long ago I really can't
remember exactly). They have sold in very limited numbers, mainly
because they have very little support and are priced at NZ$1750
(US$850 I guess).

The unit presently come with developers documentation and example code
and progs aimed at developers. Atari offer _no_ disks for the unit at
all (although is does play music CD's ok :-), so you must rely on
third party sources (the doc's say it supports the Hi-Sierra system).
The buyers I have spoken to have been either developers or BBS's. The
Atari BBS with one I have rung had a disk with lots of PD software and
PD 'C' code for the ST on-line for downloading.

I've seen no mention of any other support or developments for the unit
since it was initially available (surprise, surprise :-(

Aaron.
/ \  The Entity           | Phone: +64 4 850 988   Fax: +64 4 801 8777
\__  aaron@comp.vuw.ac.nz | Quote: "Death - To stop sinning suddenly"

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep07.014233.27084@comp.vuw.ac.nz>, Aaron.Roydhouse@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Aaron Roydhouse) writes:
> In article <comp.sys.atari.st/7068>
> mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) writes:
> >

> >The Atari CD-ROM player that has been held back from release.
>
> They have been available here (NZ) for a bit longer than I can
> remember (at least 12 months, but is was so long ago I really can't
> remember exactly). They have sold in very limited numbers, mainly
> because they have very little support and are priced at NZ$1750
> (US$850 I guess).
>
> The unit presently come with developers documentation and example code
> and progs aimed at developers. Atari offer _no_ disks for the unit at
> all (although is does play music CD's ok :-), so you must rely on

Well, there are 2 cd roms:

>>mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) writes:
>>
>>When you were in SF, you should have stopped by Computer Rock.
>>They've had a CDAR running on their Mega 4 since I can remember.
>>They publish a couple of CDs for it; one is PD software and the other
>>is clip art.  They sell the drives for around $650 I think.  Maybe
>>less.

As I posted before, I have one, and it will play music and read MS/Dos
CD-roms (high sierra format).  It comes with 3 format readers.

What it will not do is read multi media cd roms.  That is it will only access
1 partition of data.  You can play music, but not read it.
MAC CD Roms that combine music and data can not be accessed after the 1st
section (partition).

While you can easily read ms/dos files into the atari they usually need
processing with a ms/dos program (data base manager).
I hacked PCDITTO I to interface to the Atari CDAR, and it emulates the PC
doing MSCDEX (Microsoft CD Extensions) and then can read the CD ROM just
as a PC would.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (09/08/90)

Hello.

The CDAR is available for quite some time here in Germany. As far as
I know you get a CD full with PD-software together with the drive...

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/09/90)

So, does anyone know why the Atari CDAR-500 CD ROM player is not being offere
on the latest Atari Developers' price list..?

(sorry...  "Atari Partners", that is...)

BobR